Establishments Banning E-Cigs - 2 reasons
Page 1 of 106 123451151101 ... LastLast
Like Tree3962Likes

Thread: Establishments Banning E-Cigs - 2 reasons

Default Establishments Banning E-Cigs - 2 reasons

Anyone else see all of the restaurants, colleges, stores, etc. banning e-cigs? I'm sure you have, it's all over the news.

I think there are two reasons for all of these bans:

1. Misinformation - there's a TON of misinformation about e-cigs out there. They're new and people who know nothing about them are afraid of them, so they just ban them. This is a given and you all know about this so I won't go into it.

2. Vapers are so blatant about vaping indoors, in public. This is the sad reason because it's our fault.

Sometimes I'll go out and see vapers just blatantly blowing big clouds of vapor indoors, drawing a ton of attention to themselves. They figure because it's not smoke, it's just vapor, it's ok. It's not ok because it's offensive to non-smokers, and we've all been conditioned to avoid clouds of smoke because of the toxic crap it has in it. Of course we know 2nd hand vapor is harmless, but others don't know that.

The solution is not to vape indoors in public, or if we must, to stealth vape. I've become good at this over the years to the point that people don't even know I'm vaping if I do so indoors. Discreetly bring my e-cig to my lips, take a drag, hold it in for a while, then just blow whatever vapor remains (which is very little if any if I hold it in long enough) down my chest so no one sees a cloud.

How can we prevent new vapers from drawing this bad attention to our community? Ideas?
    Check out my blog: www.dingtwist.com

PV Master ECF Veteran

can of worms,,,,,,,,opened

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Sadly you are spot on.
    Some Vapers seem to go out of their way to prove they can do as they wish with total disregard for others.

At least, being a vaper myself, I realize it is the person behind it that is the problem.
    Smoke free since 08/06/12 for my loving Wife, our Children and Grand Children
    Someone has to pay the bills - lol

ECF Veteran

There isn't really misinformation, just a lack of it.. Most people probably look at it from a "better safe, than sorry," standpoint. I'm not saying there isn't misinformation against vaping, because there is. However, there is also the same amount of misinformation of positive things from vaping, when that isn't concrete information what so ever..

If someone doesn't have the basic sense to not cold-box a public area, there isn't really going to be anything to be done about that. I guess just smack every person in the face that doesn't get permission to vape indoors from the establishment and people around.

PV Master Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Short answer. You cant. You have no right to make personal decisions for the rest of us.

You may see it as bad attention but others of us know that if we let them lump us in with smokers, if we willingly let them relegate us to the same dark, smelly, and ever-shrinking corner, then it should come as no surprise when we are treated JUST LIKE SMOKERS.

Theres no need to hide it, you arent doing anything wrong.In fact your doing something thats a positive step in the right direction so why act like youre doing something wrong? Imo THAT helps spread misinformation much more than vaping in the open and answering peoples question with an intelligent answer.

You could be doing something as innocent as eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich but if I saw you slinking into a dark corner to eat it, all hunched over with your back turned to me and trying be stealthy about it, I would mistrust that too.

Two sides to every coin, and more often than than not the truth usually lies firmly in the middle of two extremes.
    Last edited by zapped; 10-21-2013 at 03:30 PM.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Vaping has moved from a healthy alternative to a cloud blowing hobby for some, and those who feel the need to display their vaping prowess are undermining general acceptance.

What reaction can one expect from business owners and people in general when blowing big clouds of vapor? This still isn't as healthy as plain old air, so their taking offense is no surprise. The attention seeking vapers are hurting the rest of us, one cloud at a time.
    DC2, Katya, Grandma SJA and 19 others like this.
    Vaping since April 3, 2011 8:30am

PV Master ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by suspectK View Post
    There isn't really misinformation, just a lack of it..
    I disagree,,,,,,,,,

some MISinformation I've heard,,,,,

those are worse than regular cigarettes,,,,,,,,

those will blow up in your face and take your teeth with it,,,,,,,,,

those contain antifreeze,,,,,,,,,,,

Ultra Member ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

In.
    "The sexiest part of a woman is between her ears and the prettiest thing she can wear is a smile".

I would have to agree with you, especially on point two

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by CommaHolly View Post
    I disagree,,,,,,,,,

some MISinformation I've heard,,,,,

those are worse than regular cigarettes,,,,,,,,

those will blow up in your face and take your teeth with it,,,,,,,,,

those contain antifreeze,,,,,,,,,,,
    Short studies have shown that they aren't worse than cigarettes, but there aren't any long term studies to confirm or deny that.

PV's can blow up if you don't know what you're doing/basic battery safety. It happens.

PG, VG, and PEG can be used alone as an anti-freeze, but just because something has a low freezing point, doesn't make it any more harmful. All three of those bases can and are used in pharmaceutical applications, such as injectable solutions. Quick counter-point for someone that doesn't know how to read an ingredient label.

Page 1 of 106 123451151101 ... LastLast