Wire for RDA question.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Wire for RDA question.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran StarsAndBars's Avatar

Default Wire for RDA question.

Hey guys! I'm completely out of 32 gauge kanthal, and the last coil build has definitely passed its prime. I've been doing single micro coils around 1.8-2.2 ohms lately with cotton wick and so far have been pretty happy. Since I'll be buying some new wire I'm kinda curious if there may be a better option for the 3 amp limit with an MVP.

I've watched butt loads of videos, and spent about a half hour reading threads with everything from ribbon wire to twisted 28 gauge kanthal, and since I'm limited to 3 amps, I guess I'm kinda looking for the best vape that can be achieved within the three amp limit.

Anybody using twisted wire? If so, would this have the same effect as running dual coil (ohmwise)? Everything I've watched and read leads me to the conclusion that twisted wire would equal a crazy low resistance. If anyone wouldn't mind telling me about your setup and what reasons you have for preferring it I would very much appreciate it. As mentioned, I kinda have to stay below the 3 amp limit.

Thanks

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

When I build micros for my VAMO, I use 30g K. I can get a 9 wrap 1/16" micro at 1.8 ohms, which will leave you plenty of room to go up to 5.4v if you felt like it, though that's too hot for my taste.

Avid micro coil enthusiast. #adultslikeflavors

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

San Antonio TX Travel the country for work

The thicker the wire the more resistance. Do you get your wire from ebay? for less than 10$ per 100 ft role you can afford to get several gauges.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzzlove View Post
    The thicker the wire the more resistance. Do you get your wire from ebay? for less than 10$ per 100 ft role you can afford to get several gauges.
    Actually, the thicker the wire, the less resistance. I am kinda leaning toward just getting some 30 gauge and sticking with single micro coils. I will be buying it from a store front (yeah getting my head busted) for like 3 bucks for 10 feet. I'm in what you may call an unusual USPS situation for the next 2 months.

I'm relatively new to building my own coils, and not really chasing clouds or anything. I just want a good quality vape, and was wondering if anyone has been using something superior to what I'm thinking about getting.

Been vaping for a long time, and never stop learning about it all.
    Last edited by StarsAndBars; 10-27-2013 at 01:07 AM.
    Lessifer likes this.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran degnr8's Avatar

Depends on what you're after. I started with 32 then tried 30 and am going back to the 32. For the same resistance a thicker wire will heat up quicker and produce more vapor because of the greater surface area, but won't get as hot.
    Vini, Vidi,Vape

Not sure how to quantify this but I'm just looking for the best vape all around. I'm a pretty average dude, so I just want the best flavor, TH, and vapor production I can squeeze with a 3 amp limit. Not looking for cumulonimbus clouds of vapor, maybe decent stratus.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Which rda are you using? Also have you drilled any airholes to make them larger? On my igo l I have drilled my airholes to a 1/16. Also my micro coil is made from 28 gauge kanthal at 1.5- 2.0 ohms. Depending on which one I am using at the time. Throat hit is there let me tell you. Also by moving the coil up or down in correlation to the airhole can increase or decrase the th. I make sure to have my coil right up next to the hole though. Dead center too to have a balance of th and flavor.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
    Lessifer likes this.

E-Cig Afficionado Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Thicker wire equals less resistance, though wire diameter isn't everything.

The overall diameter of the coil, the amount of wraps these are all variables that come into play. You can easily "lock" in your preferred resistance if you just pick out whatever wire (gauge doesn't matter here, just length) you want to use then cut the wire to spec using a multimeter. If you need more length to reach terminals or something you can tether the resistance with some non-resistance and you should get a near perfect resistance everytime. I use silica based RTAs everyday so I'm quite used to this, but in a RDA you shouldn't need to tether anything just cut your coil to spec do the wraps and leave 2 legs at the end perfect everytime.
    Last edited by JMarca; 10-27-2013 at 02:48 AM.
    degnr8 likes this.

A nation of sheep, breeds a government of wolves... Join CASAA today!

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by buzzzlove View Post
    Here is another great place to get wire. 100' for $5.50 with free shipping.

http://www.temcoindustrialpower.com/...x=0&submit.y=0
    Fullknight likes this.

Thanks for all of the resources for cheap wire guys, but as I said ordering off line is not an option for me. I've already had a juice order, an a Jwrap order returned to the vendor, and had to have them shipped to my house in Colorado (currently 7 hours away). I don't get to go there very often, so having vape mail is a thing of the past for the next couple of months. Not really looking where to get supplies, as there is a vapor store here in Salt Lake, just looking for suggestions on what type of wire everyone is using, and why.

I guess I should have explained that for some reason USPS does not deliver packages to the Hollywood Resort (only not) apartment where I am currently staying. Not sure why, but I called them and couldn't get a straight answer.
    Last edited by StarsAndBars; 10-27-2013 at 05:46 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast