Question for cotton wick users: - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Question for cotton wick users:

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I bought my aw imr 18490 1100mah batteries from kidney puncher, and the description on the site says max continuous discharge rating: 8C

I've seen that 15C thrown around on here before, but I haven't seen it listed as a product spec on a site selling the batteries, so I'll stick with what the retailer says on this one. I'd rather err on the cautious side.

http://www.kidneypuncher.com/aw-imr-18490/
    Last edited by Lessifer; 11-01-2013 at 12:22 AM.

Avid micro coil enthusiast. #adultslikeflavors Click to join CASAA

So continuous discharge is my main concern. Is that correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

ok lets do it this way

Using this tool Ohm's Law Calculator

on my gripper Mech I use an EFest 18350 battery (rated for 6.4 Amos by your chart)

If I put a 1.5 ohm coil on it
    and a fully charged battery 4.2 volts

I put the ohms in the resistance line of the calculator 1.5
    I put the 4.2 in the voltage line

Then hit the calculate button it tells me the current requirement is 2.8 Amps
    the batterys have a 6.4 limit so 2.8 is fine with a little margin for safety

Now if I was to do a .5 ohm coil on the same battery and mech I would end up with an 8.4 Amp requirement which this battery can't even pretend to handle and probably major venting/explosive results

Thanks guys! I got it!

Ultra Member ECF Veteran degnr8's Avatar

Hope I didn't come off as condescending ouch, just don't wanna see you with a major ouch. Save that for the subs
    Vini, Vidi,Vape

Rockin' Micro's on Cotton Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

It depends on what is in the juices you're using. Generally the darker the liquid the faster it will ruin a wick/coil. The darker liquids generally leave behind more "gunk" when they are vaporized. It all depends on what is in the liquid though, if you have a clear juice that's full of sweetener it might kill a wick way before a dark juice does. I've killed wicks in less than a day but I was vaping a sweet dark liquid so it never really stood a chance.
    I used generally a few times because there may be some element in your liquid that throws all of this off, maybe there's PGA in your liquid? Generally though, darker/sweeter = a shorter wick life.

One of the great benefits of cotton is that compared to other wicking materials, it is one of the easiest to re-wick. You can keep the same coil(s) for a long time and just keep re-wicking them, usually.
    Vicious Ant: Valkyrie #1713 - Atmomixani: Nemesis #5884 - Flawless: Tugboat #1769 - Loki Lab: Omega #3227 - VHO: Helios #1435, Titan #5326 - Madz Modz: NZonic V3 #3406

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

OP-What kind of setup are you using? You never said.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

After vaping cotton for a while, you're going to know by the flavor when it's time to re-drip. Before it gets so dry that it would potentially scorch, it imparts a slight cottony taste. As soon as you taste that, stop, and look at your cotton. You'll see it is starting to look a bit dry. This is fool proof.

Quote Originally Posted by OuchingMegaSpank View Post
    Tried cotton for first time the other other day. I have to say I was a little freaked out by how smooth the vape is! Once I got past that, I simply enjoyed it. However, it did not take but a few hours before my vape began to thin out. I tried using thicker pieces and thinner pieces. Both started out well and then seemed to diminish quickly. I was using 28g kanthal micro coils (dual) 8wraps. Don't know ohms. I used short wicks through coils then put cotton "clouds" underneath coils. My questions are:

How often do you find you must replace your cotton? How do you tell when it is time to do so?

I assume switching flavors means replacing wicks? (Haven't tried switching yet. Temporarily went back to ekowool.)

I know you don't want to fire on a dry cotton wick, but how dry can you let them get after soaking them with juice? Do you just add more when your flavor seems to get light?

Thanks, all

Christopherja likes this.
    ♥❄♥ .* ♡♥ ❇ ★ ♡♥ ☆ `*. ♥❄♥ *♡ ♥❄♥.*

Quote Originally Posted by bones1274 View Post
    OP-What kind of setup are you using? You never said.
    I WAS using a magneto with an igo-w until today when I received this: !

K_Tech likes this.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by OuchingMegaSpank View Post
    So continuous discharge is my main concern. Is that correct?
    That is correct. You want to make sure that your calculated amps do not exceed the maximum rating of the battery.

Look for vaping apps for your iPhone; I have an Android and use "Vape", I'm sure there's something similar for your phone. Little stuff like the ohm's law calculator can come in handy, especially if you're running your own coils on mechs.

And FWIW, take a look at the "Two cents for safety" vapesafe fuse. It'll protect you and your battery in case you somehow experience a hard short.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast