Question for cotton wick users:
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Question for cotton wick users:

Default Question for cotton wick users:

Tried cotton for first time the other other day. I have to say I was a little freaked out by how smooth the vape is! Once I got past that, I simply enjoyed it. However, it did not take but a few hours before my vape began to thin out. I tried using thicker pieces and thinner pieces. Both started out well and then seemed to diminish quickly. I was using 28g kanthal micro coils (dual) 8wraps. Don't know ohms. I used short wicks through coils then put cotton "clouds" underneath coils. My questions are:

How often do you find you must replace your cotton? How do you tell when it is time to do so?

I assume switching flavors means replacing wicks? (Haven't tried switching yet. Temporarily went back to ekowool.)

I know you don't want to fire on a dry cotton wick, but how dry can you let them get after soaking them with juice? Do you just add more when your flavor seems to get light?

Thanks, all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Well I recoiled an evod with a micro coil + cotton wick. I am 4 days in and not seeing the degradation of flavor yet. I am guessing most people just pull the wick out, do a dry burn/rinse, and put in fresh cotton whenever the flavor goes off.
    Krazirob and Chas F. like this.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

With cotton, less is more. Too much cotton prevents the juice from absorbing and diminishes the vape. Roll the cotton thin enough to slide freely inside the coil and then cut the ends where they meet the sides of the RBA. Shoving extra cotton clouds around the sides just compounds the problem. I use a bottom feeder so after every 4-5 drags, I just give the bottle a little squonk and I am good to go. If you are tasting dry cotton/burn taste, it is well past the time to re-wet it.
    ph0kused likes this.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran degnr8's Avatar

I think the others have answered your questions pretty well but I had to jump in and point out that this
    Quote Originally Posted by OuchingMegaSpank View Post
    I was using 28g kanthal micro coils (dual) 8wraps. Don't know ohms.
    Is a really bad idea. This is how we wind up with batteries exploding in peoples' faces. Baditude has quite the photo collection.
    Vini, Vidi,Vape

Ultra Member ECF Veteran degnr8's Avatar

Always always always check your coils on a meter
    Vini, Vidi,Vape

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Boiler's Avatar

About once a week I replace the wick, and dry burn the coil.
    Usually because I see my juice turning yellow when it should be clear.

Simplicity 14500 | IGO-S 1.8 Ω cotton | plain VG 0.12mg
    ELA v1 | kayfun - 30g 1.4 Ω cotton | plain VG 0.12mg

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Steam Turbine's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Cotton wicks last me for a little over a week in my kayfun lite. I switch from Boba's bounty to English bulldog (goodlife vapor) all the time without any problems but the flavor of some other juices tend to stay in the wick... So I would guess that it is juice dependent.

As for how dry it can get... I usually wait for the flavor to diminish... Pretty much like silica and then refill my hayfun.

I have to say that I really like cotton or more presicely: I don't like the idea of vaping on silica
    smacuser likes this.

Because Smoke, is a Bad Vape!

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by OuchingMegaSpank View Post
    I was using 28g kanthal micro coils (dual) 8wraps. Don't know ohms
    I just wrapped a 28 gauge 8 wrap micro coil tonight and it metered at 1.03 ohms. If you are doing a dual coil, that would put you down to about .5 ohms..... can your mod and batteries handle that low of ohms?

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Steam Turbine's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh yeah... I forgot: Being clueless about coil resistances is unacceptable!

Because Smoke, is a Bad Vape!

Quote Originally Posted by degnr8 View Post
    I think the others have answered your questions pretty well but I had to jump in and point out that this Is a really bad idea. This is how we wind up with batteries exploding in peoples' faces. Baditude has quite the photo collection.
    Ok. I used to check them on my SVD (which I only use to check a coil resistance anymore) but it stopped reading them. I think it's a pin problem. Regardless, if I check it in a meter, it's going to say 1.2, 1.4, whatever, and I'm going to say "oh yeah, great!" And I'm going to vape away anyway. What am I hoping to find by reading the ohms? (I know this sounds sarcastic, but it's not)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast