Peeved about my local vape shop - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Peeved about my local vape shop

Senior Member Verified Member Cearamm's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wonner View Post
    If you have a vape shop, you need to make money fast, because the competition is moving in fast.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one around who doesn't own a shop, sell ejuice, or do YouTube reviews.

Very very interesting point which I had not considered. You are right though, as vaping catches on more and more some companies will undercut you and may even take you out of business.

Call me crazy but Id love to go to a walgreens and pick up an Ego starter kit packaged all 'Apple-ish' with tht sleek cardboard and stuff. "Mini Ego with 2 nano clearomizers and 3 blank cartos with your choice of flavor!" Lol. I feel like Blu could be a really great brand if it just stepped up to that next level. Sadly, Idoubt that will happen.

Ecigs and mainstream may find a happy marriage but right now its such a "controversial" topic. to push that far. We have made many great strides in securing our rights and also technology has made them highly efficient, but we arent *quite* there just yet. I give it 2 years

Ultra Member ECF Veteran MiamiMom63's Avatar

It's all about supply and demand, and competition. We had one store for awhile and they are very high dollar. Now we have a ton of stores opening up all over and their prices are much better. Of course, many of them are a little bit more expensive than online, which is understandable. And you don't really mind paying a little bit more (within reason) if you don't have to pay for shipping and can get it immediately. But if they are just way too overpriced then chances are they won't sell much, especially with the competition there is now. Plus people just don't like you if they think you are trying to rape them, and once those new stores open up and sell for cheaper, all those customers will go to the new store and never that over-priced store again. In fact, even if that over-priced store goes down on it's prices, those same vapers will always remember how wrong they were in the beginning and still probably not go back. So if you live in a small town with only one store, I would think it's a prime opportunity to open your own store there and definitely out do that real expensive store that likes raping new vapers. JMHO
    Check out our Vape Meets for South Florida at www.southfloridavapers.com

Super Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I'd definitely suggest you post a review to Yelp and other review sites to let local newbs know that their prices are way high.
    JonnyB88 likes this.

Moved On

I grew up in wholesale jewelry. From us to retail the markup would be as great as 1,000%. What retail jeweler would want to buck that trend? Hopefully, this market developes in a more competative manner.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran MiamiMom63's Avatar

Also, vendors that started selling online and that have built up a following online prior to opening a store tend to be more reasonably priced because they are still getting a large amount of business through their website so it makes up for overhead costs. I personally don't understand how a vape shop can open up and be competitive in prices without prior having an online base of customers to supply, but I'm not a vendor. It just makes sense to me though and from what I see with the successful vendors in our area versus the non-successful ones. Some vendors get a huge part of their business online, especially the ones that are juice makers because there's a huge markup in making eliquid and selling it, which keeps the prices more reasonable for the rest of the items they sell in their store.
    Check out our Vape Meets for South Florida at www.southfloridavapers.com

Super Member ECF Veteran

I have wondered why more existing B&M stores haven't added vaping gear to their inventory, and I have to assume this is more collateral damage from the intense media disinformation campaign ...

If you were the owner of a small drugstore or novelty shop, would you risk alienating much of your customer base by selling those hazardous, kid-addicting, worse-than-tobacco "electrical cigarettes", with the exploding batteries and toxic fumes ?

Sad really. A dedicated vape shop has to mark up prices to some degree, but a well established business should be able to accomodate PVs and juice easily, without gouging on prices ...

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I believe there's another aspect at play specific to the e-cig retail business explosion...

First and foremost... there's a lot of people opening up shop who have little to no prior retail business experience. They are underfunded up front and can only position themselves for quick, short term profit just to stay a float. That's a very high risk business model...

Then there's also a lack of established whole sale and distribution infrastructure. It would appear most places are buying from alibaba, FastTech or direct from the few established manufacturer/distributors. This would explain why many local shops go through inventory fluctuations and sale items generally sell-offs on gear they have in excess.

Then there's greed...

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I just don't see how someone can open a shop, pay rent, themselves a paycheck and all the other overhead and stay afloat.

I'm in an city that doesn't have a vape shop and I'm tempted, but I just can't see me not going crazy sitting there hoping someone walks in to buy juice for months on end till a clientele is built up.
    TheJakeBailey likes this.

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran Jonathan Tittle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by second2none View Post
    I just don't see how someone can open a shop, pay rent, themselves a paycheck and all the other overhead and stay afloat.
    Most don't, or they shouldn't, just open a shop and hope it works out. They should have financing or the funding to open up shop and be able to pay all of their costs for 6 months to a year or more (with more being preferred). It's a suicide mission to open a shop and not be able to pay for all your costs for a length of time unless you already have a following and are confident you're going to see traffic.

It's cheaper to start-up online than it is with a B&M as you have fewer upfront costs. You face similar obstacles, like getting traffic to your site and getting people to buy, but there are ways to self-market yourself and your business online that don't cost much, if anything at all.

Frankly, I lump shark B&Ms right in with BT... same motivation in my book.... and I wouldn't trust anything in the store from hardware to juice not to mention their reaction should I have a problem with what I purchased should I throw caution to the wind with an impulse buy.
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast