Thread: Peeved about my local vape shop

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Just to put things in perspective.

It pays to shop around.

HowStuffWorks "Top 10 Retail Markups"
    bulljiggy likes this.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by rico942 View Post
    I have wondered why more existing B&M stores haven't added vaping gear to their inventory, and I have to assume this is more collateral damage from the intense media disinformation campaign ...

If you were the owner of a small drugstore or novelty shop, would you risk alienating much of your customer base by selling those hazardous, kid-addicting, worse-than-tobacco "electrical cigarettes", with the exploding batteries and toxic fumes ?

Sad really. A dedicated vape shop has to mark up prices to some degree, but a well established business should be able to accomodate PVs and juice easily, without gouging on prices ...
    My guess is supply and demand. They don't want the inventory to sit on their shelves as new version of products get put out at a fast rate. They are then left with obsolete inventory.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

sad but true, I actually bought my first ego kit from a shop a few months back and it was 48.00, just ordered the same exact thing for a friend for 7.50. Its a cheap ego blister pack with battery/ce4/charger... sigh

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I don't mind paying a little premium buying local, but not if they markup their prices 300+%. Why would I pay insane prices from a middleman buying hardware in bulk from the same place I can buy hardware [ie. fasttech, alibaba etc]?

Seriously, if the hardware being sold was made in the US or somewhere not in China, I doubt I'd have much of a problem supporting local B&Ms. As it stands now, most B&Ms are simply taking advantage of vapors who don't know any better by gouging the .... out of them with subpar starter kits.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Exactly Right...What the Mark up is doing is Putting people off from Making the Switch. now I can see paying 2-10 more than the online price but 20-30 no way!!! a kit with juice and case should be about the cost of a Carton in the area. that way when they come back the next day for more juice you can get them on a bunch of juice and clearos. but I just have to disagree that a markup that big is nessasary. repeat business is the goal and 89 bucks for a starter kit is NOT acceptable.

http://www.CASAA.org
    "Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death...I will permit it to pass over me and through me...the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Super Member ECF Veteran freeatlast!'s Avatar

I've never been in retail or any kind of sales, but I always wonder how most stores in small towns can actually support their owners. A specialty store like an ecig store especially, or any independent store. They must have other means of support, surely....my little B&M ecig store here does not seem to have very high markup, fortunately. Sure would be interesting to hear from owners on this topic.

CASAA ** PROVARINATI

ECF Veteran

I don't have a local shop and after reading all the stories and visiting a few out of town shops I have no desire for one. They seem to be all way way overpriced. I'd be perfectly fine paying 20% over online to get local but not 100%+.

I had a realization like that recently.

A new shop opened up about 30 minutes away (I live in Northern Michigan. Vape shops are as rare as-- Nevermind), so I decided to check out their website and head into the store myself. Same problem with the $80 Evod Starter Kit that I'll be bypassing the B&M to order from VapeDojo for $35 bucks for my mother for Christmas.

I agree with what JohnnyB88 said. Sort of like a passive boycott. Order your stuff from your online trusted suppliers that have good prices and force the vape shop to lower their prices.

On that note, something I just thought of: If VapeDojo can have TWO B&M shops (which they do), and a professionally designed website with a full-fledged e-commerce system... Why can't any other mom and pop shops do the same and have sane prices?
    JonnyB88 likes this.

I just stopped by the local shop near me for the first time today. I already have a starter kit and have more stuff coming in online so I didn't need it, but I checked their kit prices and it's:
    $18 for mini ego kit
    $35 for evod kit
    Much more reasonable.

ECF Veteran

A decent B&M that doesn't try to stick it to local vapers deserves our support. I'll pay an extra 10%-25% on certain items to support my local B&Ms, and also have the privilege of not having to wait. 300% is just a giant middle finger, though.
    Iffy, Lucky1127 and TheJakeBailey like this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast