Peeved about my local vape shop
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Peeved about my local vape shop

Senior Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Default Peeved about my local vape shop

Hey guys. So here I am 3 weeks ago, looking to get a nice setup for my birthday present, right? I figure a hundred bucks shuld get me and my fiancee set up with plenty of juice and a couple ego style kits. Since I was really not sure where to start, I ventured over to the only vape house in town to get set up. Well to my surprise....they had a ton of stuff buuuuut....seemed REAL pricey.
    Immediately I was like, you know I could find this stuff online for a LITTLE cheaper.

Boy was I wrong . Headed home and hopped online to shop around. Found Evod starter kits were about 35 bucks....huh?! The vape shop wanted $89.99 for a frikin Evod starter kit with no juice included.

Now trust me, I own a business and understand profit margins. But when you get Evods at wholesale for probably 20-25 bucks TOPS....you cannot and should not hawk them off to unsuspecting smokers who dont know any better and are trying to make a life saving decision for 300% profit!!! Am I out of line here? An iTaste SVD for 225? Whaaaaa?!?! Protank I for $34.95?!?

Not to mention a 5ml bottle of juice is 6 bux. And its more like 4mil in reality. Being a resourceful and internet savvy individual certainly allows me to bypass these places, but MOST average joe smokers arent going to spend countless hours researching and shopping around like I did. So they dont know any better and get ripped off big time on a product they know nothing about which may or may not work for them. Im sorry but it really peeves me. $12 for a 10mil of cheap import Chinese boring flavors?! Heck no! I just ordered 80 mil from Ahlusion for 45 bucks! Man...

Point here is...vendors: please do not manipulate and skew prices for a profit! That should be illegal.

Vapers: please DO shop around and find better prices if something is off.

Too bad its the only shop in the area . O well, vape mail here i come!

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Cearamm, what you need to understand is:
    B&Ms have overhead. They need to pay for rent, wages, --no, I'm kidding.

300% markup on things is utterly ridiculous. And you made the smart move.

But, I really encourage you to urge LOCAL, unsuspecting/budding vapers to shop elsewhere until they change.
    Shopan and meanckz like this.

ECF Veteran

wow i am so glad i have plenty of shops i can go to in a bind. They are all about the same price so it is all about selection. Some have more than others or just diffrent things. I still order on line to get it cheaper but if i want it now i at least have some good shops to go to.
    meanckz likes this.

ECF Veteran

So B&Ms do need to make a profit, that is what they are in business to do. They also have a much higher overhead cost than an online only type vendor. They do have to pay for the facility, and supplies (especially if they have a vape tasting station, tanks, coils, juices, etc.), staff wages, advertising costs, etc. AND still try to make a profit. If they happen to be the only place for 200 miles, then they can command whatever prices the market supports.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Yep we got one shop in100 miles and they stick it to vaper's that don't know better.
    For the cost of one set up and a weeks juice 150.00 and that's on sale .

Super Member ECF Veteran ConradM's Avatar

Here in Boise the market is over-saturated with Vape shops. We probably have 25 - 30 shops and this is a small city. I've been to 4 of them since I started and they're all either over priced or selling cheap knock off junk for the same price as name brand.

I'm no stranger to getting a better deal online so I wasn't to surprised.
    bhswmc01 likes this.

Senior Member Verified Member mavric's Avatar

I haven't been to a vape shop here yet that doesn't put a hefty overhead on their prices. In all honesty, it doesn't bother me now that I know about it. I support the local vape scene and want to see it grow. Once you get to know the people running it, you can sometimes get some good deals on stuff that's hard to find, like special run APVs, RBAs, etc. Plus, you can make a couple like-minded friends in the process.

Ultra Member Verified Member Tinkiegrrl's Avatar

Wow. I thought the local place by me was pricey... That's kind of crazy. I do understand about overhead. Things like rent, utilities.... I'm in factilities management, and I know those numbers. I still occasionally buy from the local place by me, despite their prices because of that. That said, there comes a point where prices can be just taking advantage, and could even be a detriment to those considering vaping as an alternative to smoking. Price was actually a detriment to me to consider vaping when those cigalikes starting hitting mall kiosks years back. That, and the few of my friends who went for it let me try, and it the technology just wasn't there yet. It would be a pity if those in your town that aren't computer savvy are priced out of this.
    JonnyB88 likes this.

Senior Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Thanks for all the replies!!

Several valid points and arguments for both sides.

Maybe this is the case simply due to the market dynamic of the area. They have a monopoly. Until the market catches up, this will be the case.

I do realize that any BM shop in any industry is 99 percent likely to have slightly higher prices to combat wages and overhead costs. This I understand. I cannot accept such insane sales tactics however.

Example: Joe Shmo decides to quit smokig. He takes that $50 he spends a week on a carton of smokes and heads to a vape shop. Damn,100 bucks just to get a setup? No way cant afford it.

Joe Shmo is now incredibly put off by this whole vaping thing and returns to smoking. Or he buys a Blu, doesnt satisfy him enough, and thinks vaping cannot be good or work well enough.

That is a very likely situation in this case, I feel.

Id buy an Evod for 45 even, just for the sake of shoppin local and supporting the community and havin the convenience factor. Heck maybe even 55....

So yea profit and overhead should not equal a 300 percent markup. I have ethical issues with this. Unless your business model is just terrible lol.

So that is my rant. Ill get off the soap box. I would love to hear any other thoughts/experiences/problems related to this!

Thanks
    JonnyB88 and Shopan like this.

If you have a vape shop, you need to make money fast, because the competition is moving in fast.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one around who doesn't own a shop, sell ejuice, or do YouTube reviews.
    Now celebrating 13 days without a single reportable mental health incident.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast