Why is a mod with an 18650 better/different than an MVP? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Why is a mod with an 18650 better/different than an MVP?

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Unless you are using a Dripping Atty with a side air hole or a Genesis style tank with a side air hole, you may not be making equal comparisons.
    Not all Mods are going to be regulated the same, though I believe both the SID and MVP use standard 33mhz chipsets.

Simple differences in the way a passthrough tank sit on a particular Mod will effect the overall Vape experience.
    Protank is a good example as it will not work well at all on a Provari. The tank screws down to far and stops air flow.
    Smoke free since 08/06/12 for my loving Wife, our Children and Grand Children
    Someone has to pay the bills - lol

PV Master Team ECF (folding@home)
    ECF Veteran

The sid and the mvp don't regulate the power in the exact same way is all. One isn't really any better or worse, they're just a little different. The good news is that you are free to choose which you like best.
    jefsview likes this.
    http://www.casaa.org/images/9974739e5e33027c7244f0b4518d5a2d.jpg

Blog Entries

There will come a time when you won't have access to that extra battery... and then you'll
    remember asking the difference between a regular mod and an MVP 2.0

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I understand exactly what you are asking. I purchased an Itaste vv 3.0 a while back after considerable research. I like it allright, it did take me a while to figure it out. It is nice for an Ohm meter that also happens to work as a PV. The flavor is different on it as compared to my vision spinners. I have 4 1300 mah spinners and when the abtteries are fresh the itaste will not give you as good of a flavor. I have adjusted the volts all the way up and down. I have used the wattage setting and went through the entire spectrum. I use a dripper and I use the same one going from one to the other. Flavor seems to be cleaner and a little stronger on the spinners. It could be my imagination, I have not done a blind taste test to see. The reason I don't think it is my imagination is that I really wanted to like the itaste. I love the look of it and I like the vape fine, it is just not quite as good as my spinners produce. Now I have two mechs coming from FT. One is somewhere in the U.S. and the other is on it's way to the U.S. I can't wait to see how the mechs perform in comparison. I love the clean look of the Nemesis and the one mech I have hit was running a 1 ohm coil and the hit was wonderful.

If at any time I offend you with something I post, you better suck it up, I'm going to do it again.

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Kemosabe View Post
    The reason is the processor. Different vaporizers function with different efficiencies. Depending on the quality of the unit's processor, your vape will differ.

All vv/vw mods accomplish the vv/vw using a system called Pulse Width Modulation, or PWM. The mod pulses a series of voltages multiple times per second to reach the voltage you set. The speed at which the processor pulses will determine the quality of the vape.

A slower processor, like the Vamo for example will cycle at 33hz per second. The pulsing is quite noticeable at this speed- most users can even hear the pulsing manifested as a "rattlesnake" sound. The provari for example cycles at 800hz/second which is indistinguishable to the user. All other mods fall somewhere in between. The evic cycles at a little over 100hz.

I've read that the innokin products are quite speedy on the cycles as well but I can't recall the results. I do have reason to believe that the newer variations a la the v2 and newer models have quicker processors than the v1s and such.

It's likely that you SID cycles at a higher rate than your MVP v1.

Mechanical mods will give you a straight DC current and does no cycling whatsoever.

Evolv mods and kicks have an extremely efficient processor, on par with the speed of the provari processor. Same thing with the semovar. But the list pretty much stops there. Everything else is noticeably different.

The knockoff kicks like the sigelei kick cycles at 33hz/second- same as the vamo.

I hope that helps explain things for you.

Have fun and vape on
    This!!!
    The MVP is 37hz and the SID is using the same chip as the Evic at 103hz. It smooths out the highs and lows of the voltage regulation process giving you a smoother and warmer vape.
    Kemosabe likes this.
    "I want a tattoo of a butt with a tattoo of a butt on my butt!" Beavis
    "I float like a butterfly, and poke like a flea, JACK!" Si Robertson

Ultra Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member

The reason is the processor. Different vaporizers function with different efficiencies. Depending on the quality of the unit's processor, your vape will differ.

All vv/vw mods accomplish the vv/vw using a system called Pulse Width Modulation, or PWM. The mod pulses a series of voltages multiple times per second to reach the voltage you set. The speed at which the processor pulses will determine the quality of the vape.

A slower processor, like the Vamo for example will cycle at 33hz per second. The pulsing is quite noticeable at this speed- most users can even hear the pulsing manifested as a "rattlesnake" sound. The provari for example cycles at 800hz/second which is indistinguishable to the user. All other mods fall somewhere in between. The evic cycles at a little over 100hz.

I've read that the innokin products are quite speedy on the cycles as well but I can't recall the results. I do have reason to believe that the newer variations a la the v2 and newer models have quicker processors than the v1s and such.

Mechanical mods will give you a straight DC current and does no cycling whatsoever.

Evolv mods and kicks have an extremely efficient processor, on par with the speed of the provari processor. Same thing with the semovar. But the list pretty much stops there. Everything else is noticeably different.

The knockoff kicks like the sigelei kick cycles at 33hz/second- same as the vamo.

Have fun and vape on
    Thanks for this!
    Kemosabe likes this.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

FOr me it is all about a replaceable battery vs a throw away device. I can get a decent vape on either (caveate being I wrap my own coils so I can tweak to the device).

With the FDA of doom still hanging over us moving over to mechs with replaceable batterys and rebuildable atomizers was the only way in my book. If something breaks I can fix it. If the FDA were to shut down internet sales I couldn't replace a MVP or EGO twist. With a mech I am self sufficient.
    tj99959 and NicoHolic like this.

Super Member ECF Veteran bcalvanese's Avatar

I think the difference is that the SID uses pulse width modulation (6 volt pulse signal that stays on for longer or shorter to imulate the voltage you have it set to) and the output signal on the MVP is the actual voltage that you have set.

The mods that use the PWM tend to hit harder, and the ones with the straight output signal hit smoother.

I prefer a smoother hit as it is more satifying (IMO).

I could be wrong though...
    Baditude and jefsview like this.
    ~Bob~

Ultra Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Have fun and vape on
    I think the above explains when I got my ProVari, using the same topper, same juice, same voltage - yet the ProVari simply tasted better? Wasn't expecting that to happen either. I like and use my itaste stuff for travel, and my ProVari at home (I tend to drop stuff).
    Peter_C is Saving for a P3 ~~ Loves His *Colored* Billet Box

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom.

PV Master Team ECF (folding@home)
    ECF Veteran

Biggest issue for me is I don't use or trust Lipo battery cells, which is what is in the MVP. If I can't use my battery type of choice in a PV, I'm not going to use that PV.

http://video.search.yahoo.com/play;_...=0&fr=ie8&tt=b
    Last edited by tj99959; 12-22-2013 at 05:21 PM.
    http://www.casaa.org/images/9974739e5e33027c7244f0b4518d5a2d.jpg

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast