Protank 2 coil
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Protank 2 coil

Default Protank 2 coil

So one of my coils popped in my prontank2, so i was thinking why not try to rewrap it with some twisted 32 gauge and holy moly it tooked the flavor up some notches. So next time it happens to you and your using anything that has the protank style head give it a try. It is just unbelievable.

Super Member Verified Member

I have done two pro tank coils- one didn't work at all but I know why- and the second I only managed to get .4 ohms. It wouldn't work on any of my devices.

So. How many wraps did you do? Did you use the same wick? Do wrap around a drill bit? I used a needle pushed through ekowool.

Sorry if this isn't exactly thread appropriate but I really want to rebuild coils. Plus I have a rocket I'm afraid to rebuild if I can't even do a protank right.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seashells View Post
    I have done two pro tank coils- one didn't work at all but I know why- and the second I only managed to get .4 ohms. It wouldn't work on any of my devices.

So. How many wraps did you do? Did you use the same wick? Do wrap around a drill bit? I used a needle pushed through ekowool.

Sorry if this isn't exactly thread appropriate but I really want to rebuild coils. Plus I have a rocket I'm afraid to rebuild if I can't even do a protank right.

look in my blog here, one entry is about rebuilding protank coils, and a link to a video...you DO need to have some means to test a rebuilt coil so you know its not going to be too low in the resistance.

but, other than that? its easy and Ive gotten nice results from my tanks, versus stock Kanger heads which can be awful. I also use cotton and have dumped silica wick - I kinda dont trust silica any more....dont want to inhale that stuff.

ah let me add: I use 30 gauge Kanthal A-1 wire and 9 wraps, gives me around a 1.8 ohm coil...works great for me.
    Last edited by elfy; 01-04-2014 at 02:58 PM.
    seashells likes this.
    I dont know it all, or pretend to..Take the time to ask good questions. Also: I liek peas

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I use a 30 gauge kanthal micro coil 12 wraps with a cotton wick. Comes out to about 2.8 ohms. I use it in a tatroe tank on a provari at 4.8 volts and it gives me a nice vape.
    seashells and Walter Ego like this.

Quote Originally Posted by elfy View Post
    look in my blog here, one entry is about rebuilding protank coils, and a link to a video...you DO need to have some means to test a rebuilt coil so you know its not going to be too low in the resistance.

but, other than that? its easy and Ive gotten nice results from my tanks, versus stock Kanger heads which can be awful. I also use cotton and have dumped silica wick - I kinda dont trust silica any more....dont want to inhale that stuff.

ah let me add: I use 30 gauge Kanthal A-1 wire and 9 wraps, gives me around a 1.8 ohm coil...works great for me.
    I watched your recent video after you switched from scissors to finger nail clippers for the same thing. An used a blunt needle instead of a drill bit.

Blog Entries

ah, also left out: i use a 2mm screwdriver to wrap around, it has a little flat edge that lets me compress the coils after i wrap it, and then i also heat it with a lighter and then compress it again w/ pliers - just be careful to make sure the coils are even and not all squished and on top of each other...its not hard to make them nice and tight
    I dont know it all, or pretend to..Take the time to ask good questions. Also: I liek peas

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by somdfisher View Post
    I watched your recent video after you switched from scissors to finger nail clippers for the same thing. An used a blunt needle instead of a drill bit.
    right, not everyone will have or use the same tools, its all about the results...as long as you are getting nice vapes then you are doing it right, imo.

i use fingernail clippers now too, lot neater heads and easier to do, versus scissors...oh yus

PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I've been experimenting with more efficient ways to wrap a coil around a 2mm silica wick. The needle method turns out to be best for me. I still can't do it fast enough to make money at it in terms of savings vs the value of my time. Yes, it would be TV watching time (unpaid) but I find myself more intense on the winding process rather than actually absorbing what's going on in the show!

I still buy far more heads than I rewind. I have a ziplock about 2 inches deep in potential savings if I ever get the used heads done, though.

And I only smoked 6 a day for two years before that.

Provari and Sigelei Zmax V3 | CASAA Member

I used 32 gauge with 1/16th drill bit with about 11 wraps and it came out to 1.6 ohms, when its coming up at .4 ohms i think the top cap is hitting the coil. and then I twist a small piece of cotton and i dont use a flavor wick either.

Senior Member ECF Veteran Iquitcigs's Avatar

dave p just make micro coils with cotton wicks once you get it right you will never buy a head again its so easy i think my 6 year old could do it forget the ekowool and silica thats whats giving you problems wrap it round a dill bit or micro screwdriver
    Walter Ego likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast