Does vaping increase appetite/metabolism?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Does vaping increase appetite/metabolism?

Default Does vaping increase appetite/metabolism?

Okay, so I'm fairly new to vaping, only been with it for about a month or two. I have noticed though that after vaping consistently (18mg) throughout the days, my appetite has increased. So naturally, I eat more, but I don't seem to gain any weight. In fact, if anything, I think I'm losing a little bit of weight. I'm a 19 yr old guy-5'8'' and I weigh 128. My initial thoughts is that it must be a metabolism increase, right? But I didn't think nicotine could boost your metabolism so much that I could eat more and not gain any weight. Anyway, what are you guys thoughts on this? Have you had similar experiences?

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

It's plausible ... nicotine is a stimulant, it increases the heart rate, which in turn can increase metabolism. I actually feel like vaping makes me hungry sometimes, which could also be the result of vaping bakery flavors. But at times I also feel like it can satisfy my craving to have something sweet.
    solace.discord and ncpatches like this.

Nicotine, as well as caffeine is a stimulant, and, as such, is an appetite suppressant. You may be having an increased metabolism because you are going through a metabolic spike because of your age, or because something in analogs was inhibiting it. But nicotine does not increase your appetite.
    DaveOno likes this.

Hmm...I see. With most people, doesn't nicotine make you less hungry while at the same time increasing metabolism?

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Recycled Roadkill's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjrain12 View Post
    Hmm...I see. With most people, doesn't nicotine make you less hungry while at the same time increasing metabolism?
    That's what I've always believed. I've never quit smoking without a weight gain, including when I was in my early twenties. I shouldn't have said never... Quiting cigarettes with vaping has actually helped me lose about 5 lbs. I'm pretty sure that's due to the nicotine.

Well over Sixteen Thousand cigarettes NOT smoked and over $4000.00 savings in just 12 months. There's your milestone!

PV Master Verified Member DaveOno's Avatar

In an experiment, mega doses of nicotine was given to rats. One group with the nic, the other without. After TWO YEARS, there was no difference in mortality rates, cardio, tumor growth. The only noticed difference were the nicotine dosed rats lost 9% of their body weight.

Super Member Verified Member Enoch777's Avatar

I think everyone is spot on concerning nicotine. And yes, very similar BMI situation myself. I could be wrong but it has seemed to taper down for me, especially after quitting smoking completely. When it hit me it hit me pretty hard. I'd vape and immediately would become so hungry I'd feel sick almost, but this has not happened in quite a while. 100% VG juice @ 6 - 12mg nic, between 8 and 20+ watts. Again, it seems to disappear after you vape for a while and your body adjusts but YMMV.

Suggestions? Don't vape on an empty stomach if you don't have to ;P

You could also look into Bugleweed (Lycopus spp) extract. I take this as I am borderline hyperthyroid and it lowers metabolism to help counteract it. Consult your physician first, though.

Vape well, vape often

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Your sense of taste returns so it only goes to reason that since you enjoy food more, your intake might see an increase, or simply enjoying heathy food more than you used to.

With the health benefits better breathing you feel less sluggish so an increase in activity would explain weight loss.
    DaveOno likes this.
    Every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed grand

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" - Benjamin Franklin

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I read a lot of posts here where people are saying they've noticed a bit of weight loss and that certain flavors help with cravings. I've not experienced any of that. I'm 45, it could be an age thing. I'd love to lose a few pounds. I'm very active to the point of exhaustion at work. When I get home I have zero energy.
    Last cigarette July 28, 2013

Ω Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I've been vaping for about 4 months and have lost 20 pounds. But with vaping and still receiving nicotine, I have not gotten the constant munchies like I did when attempting to quit smoking with other methods. All previous attempts to quit smoking I gained 10 pounds and never lost it.

I like to attribute the weight loss to the increased oxygen in my blood, but what the heck do I know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast