Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
Like Tree180Likes

Thread: non smokers taking up vapeing??

PV Master Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanJMag View Post
    No, I vape 0mg. I was a smoker for many years. I gave it up, I went through the withdrawals (which was very difficult, as I'm sure many will attest to). But, even though my body no longer tells me I need to have a cigarette (or vape,as it were) I still very much enjoy the 'ritual'. I enjoy the inhalation, I enjoy the contemplation, I enjoy the activity. After having been quit for several year, the desire to smoke got a hold of me quite strongly. I turned to vaping instead (0mg). It has satisfied that compulsion for me.
    I smoked for 37 years. Switched to vaping using nic and then over a number of months weaned myself off it. I stayed nic free for about 6 months, then vaped nic for a month, then off for a month again. I think without vaping I would still be smoking, even knowing it was going to kill me.

I was addicted to cigarettes. Nicotine is not addictive for me without all the other chemicals in cigarette smoke. I can vape it or not, it's my choice. I was interested in your experience and would have enjoyed comparing notes if you did vape nic now after being nic free for a while.
    Last edited by Ryedan; 02-22-2014 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Kant spel

Super Member Supporting Member FourWinds's Avatar

Half of me agrees with Topacka's post on the first page; but then the other half is a nic' addict still, and it says: 'F... that man, don't get an addiction like this that you don't need!'

Nic's a much worse addiction than booze IMO. I'd say stick to 0%.
    "Lord loves a vapin' man; don't trust smokey; see a vaper, and get rid of it."

Quote Originally Posted by Calam View Post
    This is very interesting. I have never heard this before. Can you please provide further information on this, or where to find it? I'd like to see the actual studies.
    You will have to ask Rolygate where he got this information.

EDIT: There have been several articles, one not too long ago, that stated that nicotine had been studied for a possible treatment for Parkinsons. Don't ask me to do the research for you, you can google it and am sure you'll find some. The list I posted was written by Rolygate who is one of the members who is very involved in the vaping community. If you find an article that states that nicotine is highly damaging to the body, then go ahead and give us those links. Keep in mind that the amount of nicotine we use is infinitessimal compared to what lab animals are given.
    Last edited by RosaJ; 02-22-2014 at 06:17 PM.

Ultra Member Supporting Member Roger_Lafayette's Avatar

Assuming the topic of this thread is still good (i.e. people are still interested in other subjects in addition to the alleged addictiveness of nicotine), here are some solid #s which refute the two "gateway" arguments.

For reference, these arguments are:

a) Non-smokers (alledgedly) take up vaping, and then get addicted to nicotine.

b) Non-smokers (allegedly) take up vaping, and then move to analog cigarettes.

Here's the evidence:

1) U. OK study on 1300 college students - average age 19. Only 43 (3%) indicated that vaping was their first exposure to a nicotine product. Only one continued to use any nicotine product at all. http://tobaccoanalysis.blogspot.com/...cigarette.html (I can't seem to find the original study).

2) ASH (UK ANTZ org) concedes that the 1.3M English vapers, are "almost entirely" composed of tobacco smokers or former smokers: http://
    ash.org.uk/files/documents/ASH_715.pdf (link was split up, in accordance with ECF's policy).

3) Smoking among minors in the US is down, despite an increase in the rate of experimentation with vaping: http://tobaccoanalysis.blogspot.com/...lectronic.html

For my time and money, the effort required to convince most folks that nicotine isn't addictive, and/or is relatively harmless ... well, I personally view it as lost cause. Just because something's true, doesn't mean that one can convince a stubborn person to believe it (just ask Galileo about the Catholic Church's belief that the sun goes around the earth

What I think I could convince them of, is that: people who vape are virtually all (ex-)smokers ... at least in the US and the UK. And vaping leads away from smoking tobacco - not towards it.

The current numbers show this, regardless of public health officials' "fears," or "unknowns" or even "concerns" (you know, those scientific emotions
    Last edited by Roger_Lafayette; 02-22-2014 at 08:19 PM.
    walterSCAN, RosaJ, beckdg and 1 others like this.
    Don't WAIT until the FDA takes away your right to vape! Join CASAA: a vaper's rights industry-UNaffiliated CHARITY w/ NO PAID STAFF, that has stopped bans on sales of vaping supplies & much more. Join FREE, info. is confidential: http://www.casaa.org/Become_a_Member.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie View Post
    Challenge accepted. Why in the hell is anyone inhaling anything other than air? WHY?!? if you just want nicotine chew the gum, wear a patch. Oh, that's right, its cool and a hobby. lol

with conviction btw
    Because none of anyone else's business for consenting adults. Plain and simple.

with conviction btw.
    RosaJ, Hypatia and Ohms Lawbreaker like this.

Ultra Member* Verified Member
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanJMag View Post
    No, I vape 0mg. I was a smoker for many years. I gave it up, I went through the withdrawals (which was very difficult, as I'm sure many will attest to). But, even though my body no longer tells me I need to have a cigarette (or vape,as it were) I still very much enjoy the 'ritual'. I enjoy the inhalation, I enjoy the contemplation, I enjoy the activity. After having been quit for several year, the desire to smoke got a hold of me quite strongly. I turned to vaping instead (0mg). It has satisfied that compulsion for me.
    This has been exactly my experience too (I quit in April 2000) though I moved from 0 to 6mg. My boyfriend is also a non-smoker and we're both really enjoying vaping. The only thing that's been impacted so far are our wallets.
    RosaJ likes this.
    This is my Provari. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    Analog-free since April 10, 2000. Best decision ever.
    Save a Dog's Life - Leave No Paws Behind

I just started vaping about a week and a half ago and I was never really a smoker. I would pick it for a few months then quit for 6 months and so on and so on. Even before I started vaping the last time I had a real Cigarette was like 8 months ago. I guess I wanted to try out vaping because I never liked the stink that was left behind from analogs and the smoke. And when I wasn't smoking and smelled someone who did smoke it made me nauseous. It seems that vaping is starting to be more and more of a trend now specially with the younger people who do it just because they see their friends doing it. It doesn't bother for someone who has never smoked an analog to vape just as a hobby but it does bother me when I see stupid little kids at the mall vaping everywhere thinking it's "cool" or when I see someone blow it in people's faces saying "oh it's ok it's not smoke, it's just vapor"

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
    walterSCAN likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiecan View Post
    I just started vaping about a week and a half ago and I was never really a smoker. I would pick it for a few months then quit for 6 months and so on and so on. Even before I started vaping the last time I had a real Cigarette was like 8 months ago. I guess I wanted to try out vaping because I never liked the stink that was left behind from analogs and the smoke. And when I wasn't smoking and smelled someone who did smoke it made me nauseous. It seems that vaping is starting to be more and more of a trend now specially with the younger people who do it just because they see their friends doing it. It doesn't bother for someone who has never smoked an analog to vape just as a hobby but it does bother me when I see stupid little kids at the mall vaping everywhere thinking it's "cool" or when I see someone blow it in people's faces saying "oh it's ok it's not smoke, it's just vapor"

I haven't run across anyone, children nor adults, that have behaved in the way you described. I've been vaping for 2 years now.

Funny, me either. No kid ever blew a cloud in my face and said it's just vapor. Pity the fool, though. lol

temp.jpg
    RosaJ, beckdg, Hypatia and 1 others like this.
    "Everything in excess. Anything worth doing once is worth overdoing.
    Moderation is for monks." -- Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by RosaJ View Post
    I haven't run across anyone, children nor adults, that have behaved in the way you described. I've been vaping for 2 years now.
    Well I have even before I started to vape. I see it more at the mall where they tend to hang out on the weekends. And like I said it's starting to become more of a trend now. It actually almost made me not get into vaping but since I have a lot of personal problems at the moment and started to crave analogs again but hated the smell and smoke I decided to give it a shot. Hopefully it's just in my neck of the woods and the kiddies don't catch on.

RosaJ likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast