Juice leaking from change in altitude while traveling
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By crxess
  • 2 Post By ENAUD

Thread: Juice leaking from change in altitude while traveling

Default Juice leaking from change in altitude while traveling

So, yesterday I packed up all my vape gear and drove from SLC to Denver, crossing through Vail pass on the way, a climb of about 6000-7000 feet in elevation.

At a rest stop somewhere past that, I pulled out my MVP 2 with a protank 2 to find that almost all of the juice had leaked out, covering the mod and its surroundings. I was at a loss as to how this happened, a feeling that was only aggravated when I pulled out my bag of 15-20 bottles of juice to find they had leaked as well, leaving everything soaked!!!!

I probably lost a good 10-15ml in all, and it was a pain in the ... to clean up. After some though on the matter, I'm thinking the change in altitude affected the air pressure in the bottles, breaking the seal and forcing juice out. Has anyone else experienced something like this before?
    Last edited by wulfenstein311; 01-31-2014 at 01:36 AM.

Yep. when i got on the plane with my old protank2 the ....... would gurgle like theres no tomorrow. it will sort itself out in due time

Na Kamali'i O Kaua'i

when I fly I found that the iclear 16 works well and if you use a bottom coil, tip it upside down and loosen the cap just enough to let the pressure equalize inside and outside the tank. the pressure drop will cause the juice to leak out and the first hit will be like drinking e juice thru a straw

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

When traveling - Store Bottom coil Tanks, no more than 3/4 full, Upside down.
    Air can escape and return through wick area without e-liquid traveling along.
    AgentAnia likes this.
    Smoke free since 08/06/12 for my loving Wife, our Children and Grand Children
    Someone has to pay the bills - lol

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

I fly with empty clearos now. I also found out the hard way on this, what a mess! Full bottles of juice only as well, not as much air in there to expand and contract with the change in altitude.
    7/11/13 The day that I accidentally quit smoking!
    50 Cigs a day avoided since that fateful date :)

PV Master* Verified Member Bunnykiller's Avatar
    Blog Entries

pretty much the same effect with scuba diving... dive down to 66' and fill a balloon to size of baseball, let it go and at the surface its as big as a basket ball.
    Don't Trust ATOMS They Make Up Everything

Yea the problem with keeping all my juices together is that I couldn't really tell which ones leaked more then the others, so I'm not sure which ones I need to watch out for. So your saying like the half-empty or so are the worst?

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wulfenstein311 View Post
    Yea the problem with keeping all my juices together is that I couldn't really tell which ones leaked more then the others, so I'm not sure which ones I need to watch out for. So your saying like the half-empty or so are the worst?
    In a sealed bottle, 1/2 empty is more prone to leak. Liquids don't change volume like gases ( air ) do with varying atmospheric pressure changes. A full bottle is far less likely to leak because there is very little air in it to expand and contract. The same is NOT true with a clearo. A clearo has an open passage to it, so any changes in pressure inside will force any fill level of liquid through that passage and all over everything it's packed with( unless you can guarantee the opening is facing up). I don't know how my carry on will wind up in the overhead compartment, so I just default to empty status on the clearos and avoid any unpleasant surprises.
    keonee and wulfenstein311 like this.
    7/11/13 The day that I accidentally quit smoking!
    50 Cigs a day avoided since that fateful date :)