The whole "Kids!" thing... - Page 15
Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
Like Tree867Likes

Thread: The whole "Kids!" thing...

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Steam Turbine's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Kids are kids. I started smoking when i was 14 y.o. and I bet that most of us here started under the age 18. I did it to look cool: " Look at me, I'm a Man, I smoke and I'll be obnoxious about it".

Why would it be different with kids today? If they think vaping is cooler than smoking... Is that so bad?

Allowing vaping in class though.... is another story.
    Uma and Baldr like this.

Because Smoke, is a Bad Vape!

Moved On
    Blog Entries

Im gonna steer clear of most of this thread beyond one thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketpunk View Post
    Evidentally, a local school here allows vaping if it's zero nic. In class.
    If they want to vape, ok. At 18 its their right. If there can be a smoking area, a vaping area separate from the smoking area is a great idea.

But... in class? As a teacher this bothers me more than anything else in this thread. Trying to teach a group of teenagers can be a downright nightmare at times. I am lucky, I teach physics. Most of the kids in my classes are there because they want to be, not only that but it is a class that is easy to make very entertaining, I put countless hours into making class as fun as possible.

But lets face it, sometimes you get to subjects that are just impossible to make entertaining. Sometimes we have to go through the really dry, boring stuff. Sometimes we have to do really frustratingly difficult problems. Keeping attention at times like that takes every bit of ingenuity and planning I have at my disposal. At times like that some students will jump at any distraction they can. Not all students, but there are always a few. Minimizing distractions becomes a very important part of my strategy to ensure their success. Sometimes they fight tooth and nail, but in the end I usually succeed, and they learn, I have yet to have a student fail their finals.

With some of those easily distracted students it is clear that strict no nonsense policy is incredibly important. They fail classes where teachers are lax, and pass those where teachers don't give in to the temptation of just letting them get distracted.

Allowing a distraction, by policy, is just insane. We may as well allow use of cell phones and be done with it, give up hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketpunk View Post
    I was never peer pressured as a teen. I consciously made the decisions to do what I did. No one said, "Hey, hit this!" I just did because everyone else was doing it.
    So you were not peer pressured, but you stated doing it because everyone else was doing it? That doesn't make sense. You're describing peer pressure, yet denying it happened. Make up your mind.

I have a moral issue selling to eighteen-year-olds. They come into establishments in groups, talk loudly, use profanity, hop like monkeys back and forth, distracting everyone, and they all ask a million questions all at the same time.
    I would be surprised to see a high school allow them to do it in class. Nic doesn't matter, in particular because there is no easy way for the school to tell the difference. Honestly, I'm not believing it when someone online says "At this school over here, people can openly vape in class and the school doesn't stop them".

Outside of class, the people you are complaining about are eighteen, which makes them adults legally. Apparently you think they need to go get hooked on cigarettes instead of vaping, which makes no sense at all.
    Uma, Baditude and bluecat like this.
    30 years of smoking, over 3 packs a day before I started vaping. Then I bought my first PV. Cigarettes have lost their power over me. I've been free since 10/06/2011. Thanks ECF!

Quote Originally Posted by Baldr View Post
    So you were not peer pressured, but you stated doing it because everyone else was doing it? That doesn't make sense. You're describing peer pressure, yet denying it happened. Make up your mind.

I would be surprised to see a high school allow them to do it in class. Nic doesn't matter, in particular because there is no easy way for the school to tell the difference. Honestly, I'm not believing it when someone online says "At this school over here, people can openly vape in class and the school doesn't stop them".

Outside of class, the people you are complaining about are eighteen, which makes them adults legally. Apparently you think they need to go get hooked on cigarettes instead of vaping, which makes no sense at all.
    I did search for any inkling of a hint of there being such a school, but I couldn't find one.

omg Im like, TOTALLY gonna start vaping. It's like, the Coolest thing ever! I saw johnny Vaping a vape thingy ma bobber and it was hella totally so like awesome and rad.... No Lol, personally I don't like the fact that they are doing it in school, It comes to a certain point when you just have to say no. People have their own opinions and so what? If they are going to allow smoking in school They better allow vaping, But if they are going to allow vaping in school, they should allow smoking. I don't think i've ever seen a designated smoking section in any public highschool or private for that matter, there shouldn't be any kind of smoking/vaping allowed DURING school, After school whatever you want man your off the clock. If my little brother started vaping/smoking before he was 18 I would ____ his ____ plain and simple.
    Nikkita6 likes this.

Na Kamali'i O Kaua'i

Senior Member Verified Member CrazyDamon's Avatar

Although I don't agree with just randomly picking up vaping as a habit, it's better than them picking up analogs.
    Uma likes this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Steam Turbine View Post
    Kids are kids. I started smoking when i was 14 y.o. and I bet that most of us here started under the age 18. I did it to look cool: " Look at me, I'm a Man, I smoke and I'll be obnoxious about it".

Why would it be different with kids today? If they think vaping is cooler than smoking... Is that so bad?

Allowing vaping in class though.... is another story.
    I am probably the oddball. I didn't start until I was 24. I was living with a girl that smoked and I started really just to see what it was all about, despite her trying to stop me from doing it.
    bluecat and CrazyDamon like this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eeevilyn. View Post
    At our local high school they are allowed to eat, chew gum, drink pop and coffee in class. Crunching on a bag of stinky Doritos could be distracting to others too.
    Great. Add vaping to the above behavior----- that should prepare them for the workplace, where they will think they should be allowed to do whatever they want while being paid by their employer.

And any rules the employer makes, while paying them on company time, will be called "fascist" and "restricting people's "rights".

oh dear I really feel sorry for where this country is going. People think the workplace, and school, should be just like the privacy of their living room, and they should get to do what they want.....whenever, and wherever.

There's a shop I go to here, when you walk in, the 3 ladies are always eating. (Yes, they are as big as a house, but that's not the point.) Many customers have compared notes, and it's all hours of the day, every day. It just starts to make you wonder, do they just come to work to eat? Guess it's time to let the owner know.....it's just so unprofessional ( a clothing store) because every time you need help or bring something up to the counter, they have to put down the bag or box or plate or fork they are using, to actually DO THEIR JOB.
    Burnie, EleanorR, Nikkita6 and 5 others like this.

TC's given: ~9/27/12~ ~ 11/17/2012~~04/01/2013/TC rec'd: 03/09/2013

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheReign View Post
    personally I don't like the fact that they are doing it in school, It comes to a certain point when you just have to say no. People have their own opinions and so what?
    Welcome to the ANTZ side! We've been waiting for you. Now will you please use this same message to stop people from vaping anywhere? We are going to make a bumper sticker based on your words, "just say no to vaping." Our mission is to show how vaping is undeniably harmful and a distraction to a caring society. Kids must absolutely learn to obey and conform. And by "kids" we mean pretty much everyone in society, but we start our campaign with the youngest members, singling out the bad apples. We find guilt and hype work best for the cause. Oh, and that threat thing you did toward minors, at the end of your post, golden! More of that please! All we ask is you keep perpetuating these messages, and we'll keep perpetuating the myths of danger and disobedience.
    Uma and Rossum like this.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Steam Turbine's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jman8 View Post
    Welcome to the ANTZ side! We've been waiting for you. Now will you please use this same message to stop people from vaping anywhere? We are going to make a bumper sticker based on your words, "just say no to vaping." Our mission is to show how vaping is undeniably harmful and a distraction to a caring society. Kids must absolutely learn to obey and conform. And by "kids" we mean pretty much everyone in society, but we start our campaign with the youngest members, singling out the bad apples. We find guilt and hype work best for the cause. Oh, and that threat thing you did toward minors, at the end of your post, golden! More of that please! All we ask is you keep perpetuating these messages, and we'll keep perpetuating the myths of danger and disobedience.
    I just want to make sure about something.

Are you saying that I'm an ANTZ if I'm against vaping in a classroom?

Because Smoke, is a Bad Vape!