House has Passed Budget for Senate in Washington State, HB 2795 is dead. - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: House has Passed Budget for Senate in Washington State, HB 2795 is dead.

Super Member Verified Member SleeZy's Avatar

Awesome news! I'm happy for you guys!
    Now let's hope the rest of the world will get their minds togheter, and not regulate these items. (EU are kind of in the deep water atm)

We need help, help us to support ! http://www.efvi.eu/

Senior Member Verified Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie View Post
    lol, your state legalizes a federally illegal product, but someone freaked out about ecigs and tried to pass a bill trying to tax it out of existence. It was going nowhere to begin with IMO. They will tax it though, just like the other stuff, but not that BS that was just put up for a vote.

/the rest of the states said "lulz, ok WA"
    It already is taxed. WA state has a sales tax instead of a state income tax. But you are right, they will keep trying to increase the sales tax and institute an income tax; as they will keep trying to influence your actions by taxing you to spend your money the way THEY feel is appropriate! Punitive taxes should be outlawed! I don't mind paying my fair share, but my wallet is not their private piggy bank for social engineering!
    Slots and Talyon like this.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by H. Hodges View Post
    It already is taxed. WA state has a sales tax instead of a state income tax. But you are right, they will keep trying to increase the sales tax and institute an income tax; as they will keep trying to influence your actions by taxing you to spend your money the way THEY feel is appropriate! Punitive taxes should be outlawed! I don't mind paying my fair share, but my wallet is not their private piggy bank for social engineering!
    Don't we have to pay income taxes too? I know that my paycheck is a lot less after taxes than I wish it was. Or is that a different kind of tax?

Senior Member Verified Member ImperfectFuture's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brickfollett View Post
    Don't we have to pay income taxes too? I know that my paycheck is a lot less after taxes than I wish it was. Or is that a different kind of tax?

No income tax. Good if middle class, bad if below.

Worked in Oregon also. There, income tax but no sales tax. You have federal income tax, not the same as state income tax. (noted states with both sales and income tax, California and Mew York).

Hence,every time they bring up adding income tax in washington, it's voted down, so they chase revenues elsewhere, in Oregon, every time they bring up sales tax, it's voted down, so they chase revenue elsewhere, fees, etc, the recent recession leaves states with only one form of tax REALLY hurting (except California, always hurting), so you have to balance taxes between the needs of the citizens.

However, this wasn't a sin tax, this was reclassifying ecigs as tobacco products under MSA, so the sales would count towards tobacco sales, and the payouts from tobacco companies would increase. We pay, and the tobacco companies pay. Sales tax would be charged on top of that, different than the liquor tax, which is all by itself, no added sales tax. Hope that helps, dang, need a drink.
    aikanae1 and H. Hodges like this.
    Never Say Never
    Don't Mess With a Newbie Non-Smoker

Senior Member ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Congrats to eveyone in Washington State! We all dodged a bullet, and I hope they don't try it again.

Even paranoids have real enemies. If I hadn't read about the bill being an attempt to offset lost revenues from people quitting analogs, I would never have believed it.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ImperfectFuture View Post
    It was about taxing under the MSA act, classifying as tobacco. The fiscal statement says the money was intended to replace revenue lost by tobacco quitters.

The MSA provided tobacco settlement money to be paid by the 5 biggies (and smaller startups within the next couple years), for 25 years starting after 1998. Forget the exact amount to be paid, the fine print - if the revenue drops from tobacco sales (since this was punitive damages, and they do want us to quit, don't they?), the tobacco companies pay less and could end up paying nothing.

Washington was one of many states that did a settlement buy out. They sold the rights to future tobacco payments for bonds. Of course, in 2000, they were graded munis with A+ certification and above. Now, with the drop in revenue (check out ticker symbol MO, Altria, for historic data), they are mostly graded junk, and the interest rate being paid is higher, the State needed (or is hoping to) reclassify ecigs as tobacco under the MSA act, therefore using a projected growth of over 150% during the next 4 years, recouping that money from the tobacco companies. Um, Tennessee also sold, but are you in the tobacco belt?

That is why many states were looking at this, along with many states banning ecigs from non-smoking places. This is a slow but subtle move to try to get nic ejuice reclassified as tobacco. There is a non-profit firm, funded by grants it shouldn't be receiving, leading the way for states (and if that doesn't work, local municipalities), in this direction.

It's all about the money, but not exactly the way you thought. The bills in Washington state included language for the MSA act. Otherwise, why not just sin tax it without that language, like alchohol? (PS, after a year, the sin tax for alcohol was supposed to be reduced, but almost two years, going strong).

Just sayin'', this wasn't a signature gathering public initiative that got the mari on the ballot, this is state lawmakers trying to recoup the lost revenue from quitting smokers, and it's not just the sales tax,

Coming to a state near you?
    THIS is what we are fighting. It's not about rude vapers. It's not about "the children". It's not about difficulty in enforcing current smoking bans. It's about NONE of the things you think. It's about THIS.

As tobacco sales continue to plummet, states will continue to try to pull off these shenanigans.
    ProVari: It's nothing more than a metal tube with a button on it that is well built and accurately delivers a set voltage continuously under load.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by ImperfectFuture View Post
    No income tax. Good if middle class, bad if below.

Worked in Oregon also. There, income tax but no sales tax. You have federal income tax, not the same as state income tax. (noted states with both sales and income tax, California and Mew York).

Hence,every time they bring up adding income tax in washington, it's voted down, so they chase revenues elsewhere, in Oregon, every time they bring up sales tax, it's voted down, so they chase revenue elsewhere, fees, etc, the recent recession leaves states with only one form of tax REALLY hurting (except California, always hurting), so you have to balance taxes between the needs of the citizens.

However, this wasn't a sin tax, this was reclassifying ecigs as tobacco products under MSA, so the sales would count towards tobacco sales, and the payouts from tobacco companies would increase. We pay, and the tobacco companies pay. Sales tax would be charged on top of that, different than the liquor tax, which is all by itself, no added sales tax. Hope that helps, dang, need a drink.
    This did help. Thank you sir. As far as I'm concerned it's a sin tax. It's a sin because of the high rate lol. It really would kill an industry in washington though
    Coldrake and H. Hodges like this.

Senior Member Verified Member

Quote Originally Posted by brickfollett View Post
    Federal income taxes, yes; not state. Washington does not have a state income tax; only because We The People keep voting it down every time it comes on the ballot. Washington has a state sales tax, along with county and city taxes, makes for a 9.5% sales tax in Tacoma, and only 8.7% in Spokane. But I would rather pay 10% sales than 45% income!
    Slots likes this.

This is awsome news! Maybe a good sign for things in the future? but the war on regulation still wages on but a good sign none-the-less.

)O(Speak Ye Little)O(

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast