kayfun lite build - HELP! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: kayfun lite build - HELP!

Ultra Member ECF Veteran danca90's Avatar

I think Rip uses too much cotton. I don't let mine hang at any angle, just flat down, avoiding the threads.

I pack my entire lower chimney area with cotton…

Used to use a lot less then when I would chain vape I would get dry hits… I hate dry hits.. So a member here turned me onto the "navy nest" wicking method. Works a treat!!!

The way I do it is with cotton though. So I run my wick though the coil leaving ample tails. Screw the first section of the chimney down then tuck the tails into there "navy nest" style. Once I am satisfied with the wick I saturate it with juice. Then I take my very small drill bit and move the wick away from the juice channels. When I do it this way I am sure the wick will not clog the channels and I can hold the maximum amount of juice by my coil this way as well. So if I do hit it faster than I can wick it there is a lot there to vape before I have a dry hit issue.

There is a learning curve to this as well but has worked great for me. Youtube "navy nest" if ya wanna see how its done.
    danca90 and DingerCPA like this.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran StereoDreamer's Avatar

The Kayfun is a little tricky to get the wicking right on.

If the wicks are too thick, they can pinch around the coil, and not work right.

If the wicks are too long, there will be too much packed into the bottom of the chimney area, and it won't feed properly up through the channels in the deck.

If wicks are too short, they can't draw the juice up well, and you'll get dry hits.

Finding that "perfect wick" in both thickness and length takes some trial and error. Keep trying, and make small modifications until you get a reliable setup, then just replicate that every time.

Of course, different coils require different wick setups, so you'll need to modify your wick thickness and length if you use a different coil.

I use a nano chimney vertical coil, centered over the airhole. I feed the wick under the top lead off the coil, and then wrap it around the coil once, and tuck the tails down into the bottom of the chimney. I trim them so that they just reach the bottom of the chamber, with a little extra to lay across the feed channels. That seems to work fine every time, with no leaking...

Hana Modz V3 Mini, eVic, Silver Bullet, AcryliMax Copperwood, RoughStack Shorty, ChiYou Clones, iTaste VV, 2 AMP Tanks, KFL+, Youde Igo W-5 with Crest Cap, 901 HH357s, Terminator-C, Terminator RDAs, Octopus RDAs, Mini DID Clone, and a bunch of eGos and Vivi Novas and 901 attys...

Super Member Supporting Member WharfRat1976's Avatar

I recently did the rip chimney build. Make sure your coil is off the air hole as well. This will cause flooding. I wrapped the outside of the coil with cotton and paper machet'd the cotton around the coil it only took one piece of cotton. I tighten it all up including fill screw and air hole then unscrew the coil assembly and bottom fill with a syringe...I only put in 2.75mls. I then reattach the coil assembly and screen tight...I let sit up dose down for a few minutes...I then turn right side and back off the air screw only 2 or 3 turns. This has been my most successful set, fill and vape on my kfl+...the coil has 11 wraps air screwed ohms out at 1.6...28 awg Kanthal and tight....good luck...most RBAs require much tinkering...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Super Member Verified Member autobiogphnation's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DingerCPA View Post
    Auto, no, the cotton slid relatively easily through the coil, and no, not a tight draw at all Would have thought the 70/30 would have been a little thinner and flowed more easily.

Even though I followed the steps in the video, how much cotton (coil was wrapped on 1/16 drill bit) i.e. how long of a strand of cotton should I shoot for?
    you can either cut your cotton to length before placing the chimney cylinder on or put the cylinder on and cut then. first way, just see where it lines up to the channels and cut there. second way you just cut it to the height of the cylinder before you put the chimney top on, obviously if your coil sits higher, you'll want to cut it a little longer.
    I do the second way. never had any issues. but I've also got the 3.1 so I have airflow control, it's nice
    Last edited by autobiogphnation; 06-23-2014 at 04:05 AM.
    DingerCPA likes this.

Batteries: Provari Mini, Vision Spinner II, Innokin Cool Fire II, VaporShark rDNA, Cloupor T5 Atomizers: Origen, Kayfun Mini (dripper), Smok RSBT/Xpure, Tobh,

E-Cig Afficionado Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by DingerCPA View Post
    Got my new kayfun lite clone last week, and built a 1.8-1.9 ohm coil, wicked with cotton, loaded up first juice and had a pretty happy vape. Refilled with the same flavor and had another happy vape. Disassembled today, rinsed everything, dry-burned the coil, and rewicked. I think I got everything tucked in correctly and I think I used about the same amount of cotton. Per RipTripper's video, moistened the wick with juice and tucked it in before I put the chimney back on. Filled (70p/30v juice - first juice was 50/50) Started at 8.0W, and after a few draws, started getting a burnt taste. Dropped down to 7.5W - couple clean hits, then nasty burnt. Dropped to 6.5W - STILL burning.

What the heck?!?!?!?! I'd hate to have to dump the tank, but I'm not sure I could trickle it back into an empty bottle I have available.

HELP (please?)
    Get yourself some blunt tip needle syringes, they're under a dollar each and make refilling / emptying the Kayfun extremely easy.
    DingerCPA likes this.

A nation of sheep, breeds a government of wolves... Join CASAA today!

Quote Originally Posted by JMarca View Post
    Get yourself some blunt tip needle syringes, they're under a dollar each and make refilling / emptying the Kayfun extremely easy.
    I do have a couple of bottle "lids" that have the blunt syringes already built-in. I just pop off the dropper tip, screw on the syringe cap, and voila! Found those work amazingly well to fill the KF. Just wasn't sure if I should try that in reverse to "unfill" to fix this wicking problem.

May try the "vacuum release" method described above....

It's not smoking; it's not vaping. It's Portable Aromatherapy

To all of you who presumed wicking issue - SPOT ON

Quote Originally Posted by crxess View Post
    Wicks can also be to long and choke the channels. Always make sure they are tucked back to the deck.
    See my blog.

Empty Kayfun:
    1) Remove liquid with a syringe
    or
    2) remove bottle tip
    Place kayfun drip tip to opening of bottle
    unscrew Deck section
    E-liquid will flow through tip into bottle - Kayfin body/tip = built in funnel
    crxess - Perfect - worked like a champ - drained into a small bottle and was able to recover most of the juice on the refill

Thank you all!
    215Z likes this.

It's not smoking; it's not vaping. It's Portable Aromatherapy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12