kayfun lite build - HELP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: kayfun lite build - HELP!

Default kayfun lite build - HELP!

Got my new kayfun lite clone last week, and built a 1.8-1.9 ohm coil, wicked with cotton, loaded up first juice and had a pretty happy vape. Refilled with the same flavor and had another happy vape. Disassembled today, rinsed everything, dry-burned the coil, and rewicked. I think I got everything tucked in correctly and I think I used about the same amount of cotton. Per RipTripper's video, moistened the wick with juice and tucked it in before I put the chimney back on. Filled (70p/30v juice - first juice was 50/50) Started at 8.0W, and after a few draws, started getting a burnt taste. Dropped down to 7.5W - couple clean hits, then nasty burnt. Dropped to 6.5W - STILL burning.

What the heck?!?!?!?! I'd hate to have to dump the tank, but I'm not sure I could trickle it back into an empty bottle I have available.

HELP (please?)

It's not smoking; it's not vaping. It's Portable Aromatherapy

Super Member Verified Member RichRod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

sounds like its not wicking properly, kayfuns do take a bit to get just right everytime. get an empty bottle, remove the blunt tip so it has a larger hole, then hold your finger over air hole on the kayfun, unscrew top cap and pour into bottle. you can retrieve most of your liquid this way goodluck with your next build!
    DingerCPA likes this.
    MODS: Nemesis clone 'torched' - Atomo clone - Origin clone - GP PAPS clone - Vamo V5 - Hana V3 clone

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Sounds like a wicking issue. Maybe too much cotton and it's blocking the channels. Is your draw tight?
    Maybe the wick is too much in the coil, was it really tight when you ran the wick through the coil?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    DingerCPA likes this.

Batteries: Provari Mini, MakerMods NES DNA30, Innokin Cool Fire II, VaporShark rDNA, Cloupor T5 Atomizers: Origen, Kayfun Mini (dripper), Smok RSBT/Xpure, Tobh, Magma

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Your going to have to dump the tank. If you have a Kayfun, and they should tell you this you should have like a shot glass or empty juice bottle you can pour it out in. I use a juice bottle with a tiny makeup funnel. I'm betting you have a messed up coil. After I re-wick the coil I take tweezers or a my trusty dental pic and reposition my coil loops. When you us cotton I find that if you tug hard enough to mess up or move the coil you have to much cotton. I will wet my cotton so it will stay in place until i get the ring on then i take a screwdriver and move the wick so it is NOT covering the hole. DON"T HAVE TO MUCH WICK IN THOSE TRAYS. Then after i got the wick in place i check my coil. Reapply more juice reassemble the kayfun and refill.
    DingerCPA likes this.

Auto, no, the cotton slid relatively easily through the coil, and no, not a tight draw at all Would have thought the 70/30 would have been a little thinner and flowed more easily.

Even though I followed the steps in the video, how much cotton (coil was wrapped on 1/16 drill bit) i.e. how long of a strand of cotton should I shoot for?

Ultra Member Verified Member Bigflyrodder's Avatar

Wicking issue for sure but could be as simple as a vacuum issue. I have found that, from time to time, you can get a problem with draw when you first fill a KFL up but there is a simple solution. Just burp the tank. Hold it tip down and put block the air intake hole, unscrew the base just a bit, take your finger off the intake hold until you see the burp in the tank (bubble or two), then put your finder back over the hole and tighten the base back down.

First few vapes may seem a little wet or gurgly but it will clear up and give you smooth sailing for the rest of the tank. Works for me.

Good luck!

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

It is possible that the new wick somehow blocked a juice channel. The tails should be just long enough that they reach the deck next to the positive block, which you may already have.

The other possibility is that the chimney o-ring rotated or is not seated properly, which creates a loss of vacuum. If air can pass through up there, the draw suction may not effectively pull juice in to feed the wick. Make sure this o-ring (in the top part) and the tip of chimney itself are lubed up with juice during the next assemble.

Other than that, a tool I find very useful for draining tanks without losing much juice is a syringe with a long needle. You can just stick it in the fill hole and suck all the e-liquid out, then inject it back in later.

EDIT: I just saw your last post. A 1/16" coil can be tricky to get it wicking properly in a Kayfun, since there isn't much wick inside the coil to hold juice and it needs to travel all the way up the tails to replenish it. That said, a lot of folks get microcoils working well in them. I personally find that a 3/32" coil is more reliable. And as the others said, make sure it is well primed before firing it for the first time, to the point where the coil is almost flooded. "Burping" it can really help, but hopefully you don't have to do it too often.
    Last edited by CloudZ; 06-23-2014 at 02:05 AM.
    DingerCPA likes this.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran D. Waterhouse's Avatar

If it's very full you my have a pressure issue. Cover the airhole with your finger and give a short light draw. This should get your wicking going.
    DingerCPA likes this.
    The SID & ARO, BoxMods w/ 2ohm singles, IGO S w/ Sigelei 24 & Mt. Baker Vapor juice :)

Thanks all I've had a hellishly long weekend, so I'm not going to futz with this tonight - project for tomorrow.

Kinda figured it was the wicks. I was so stunned that I got the first one right and just naturally assumed (ha we all know what THAT does) that I did the 2nd one right too..... All part of the learning experience, right?

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Wicks can also be to long and choke the channels. Always make sure they are tucked back to the deck.
    See my blog.

Empty Kayfun:
    1) Remove liquid with a syringe
    or
    2) remove bottle tip
    Place kayfun drip tip to opening of bottle
    unscrew Deck section
    E-liquid will flow through tip into bottle - Kayfin body/tip = built in funnel
    DingerCPA likes this.
    Smoke free since 08/06/12 for my loving Wife, our Children and Grand Children
    Someone has to pay the bills - lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast