• 1 Post By p7willm
  • 1 Post By ej1024
  • 1 Post By JustB'nMe
  • 1 Post By Paradicio

Thread: How much cotton?

Hazy Verified Member
    Supporting Member

Default How much cotton?

So, I had asked this in another thread but didn't get an answer (I think because answering would derail the thread), so I thought I'd try here with a new post....

Quote Originally Posted by Baditude View Post

This may be a dumb question, but the builds in those images seem to be using an awful lot of cotton? Is that how much I'm supposed to be using? I'm using about half that much (speaking of thickness, not length).

Appreciate the help!

"​I beat the internet. The last boss is hard."

I try to get as much through the coil as I can without having to force it.
    Paradicio likes this.

Full Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member

The cotton should be small enough so that you can pull the cotton back and forth without much resistance, but thick enough so that the inside area of the coil is always in contact with the cotton.

The cotton will generally expand when saturated with e-liquid so that's why you don't want it too tight. However note that in the case of larger coils, the cotton may in fact 'sink' under the weight of the e-liquid (something to look out for)

As for amount of cotton, I tend to get as much excess as I can in a Dripper without obstructing the airflow. In a tank based rebuildable (like aKayfun), I find that you just want just enough cotton excess so that the ends sit on the deck without being squished.

Sorry for the essay, hope that helps somewhat!
    Last edited by JSRP; 06-23-2014 at 02:32 PM. Reason: typo
    JustB'nMe, Paradicio and Grimwald like this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member

That looks like a KF or Russian deck. As long as you are not blocking the juice channels you should be fine. I add just to mine before putting on the chimney to see how it looks and to do a test burn. If it looks long or blocks the channel I give it a little hair cut.

How about length?
    Assuming I'm using a dual micro coil, slanted up a little, I tend to cut it off right at the end of the coil on the outside end (closest to the cap), and leave just enough on the other side to come down and touch the well. Maybe a little extra to lay it flat. I like to change flavors frequently so this works for me, but I do need to drip more often.
    Paradicio likes this.

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

You're building on a Kayfun type?

I pull the cotton up through the tube of the chamber and cut it about 1/4" above that. Tuck down around the base with a toothpick.

Amount... as said, just a slight resistance when pulling through the coil. Enough so you notice the drag, but not so much that you distort the coil.
    Paradicio likes this.

Super Member Verified Member

One way to tell is to vape it. I have found that too little or too much cotton will give dry hits so, if you are getting good performance you have the right amount. Dry hits are probably too little to wick properly or too much and it is too tight to wick into the coil.
    Paradicio likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradicio View Post
    So, I had asked this in another thread but didn't get an answer (I think because answering would derail the thread), so I thought I'd try here with a new post....

This may be a dumb question, but the builds in those images seem to be using an awful lot of cotton? Is that how much I'm supposed to be using? I'm using about half that much (speaking of thickness, not length).

Appreciate the help!
    Everything that was said was correct,there's one more thing you have to know what kind of e-juice you are using,in my own vaping experience I use water based juice inside a kay fun to prevent burning and clogging ur coils,fruity,candy are the best juice in a kay fun,
    Just enough cotton not too much,if u put too much I'm 100% sure you will have leaking and clogging..thicker juice are highly recommended to be drip,if u want to use a thicker juice in a kay fun use a double barrel coil 2 28 g 10 wraps sitting side by side I do have this current built inside my tai fun gt and kay fun 26650

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Paradicio likes this.

Super Member Verified Member JustB'nMe's Avatar

It's hard to judge the amount of cotton by a picture. To me, things tend to look bigger than they are in reality. So, although it looks like a lot it's probably just right.

I use just enough cotton to touch and slide back and forth through my coil. My tails aren't quite as long as those pictured. I only allow mine to touch the top of the deck. Initially, it takes a bit of trial and error. There isn't one perfect way to build and wick except the one that works for you. Good luck!

Live well, Love much, Laugh often and Vape on.
    Paradicio likes this.
    Live well, Love hard, Laugh often & Vape on!

Hazy Verified Member
    Supporting Member

Lots of great advice here, thank you all!
    JustB'nMe likes this.

"​I beat the internet. The last boss is hard."