The final countdown to August 8th - your FDA comments NEEDED - Page 57
Page 57 of 110 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107 ... LastLast
Like Tree3915Likes

Thread: The final countdown to August 8th - your FDA comments NEEDED

A Friend Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

In the past, I was convinced that Big Tobacco was an arm olf the Federal Govt.. Now it's becoming increasingly clear that the Federal Govt. is an arm of Big Tobacco.

Best wishes and good luck.
    Cheers

WARNING: Vaping Reduces Your Risk of Smoking and Increases Your Chance of Living

Senior Member ECF Veteran CRW78's Avatar

Comment sent and confirmation emailed!
    Mods: AR, Hades, Panzer, unregulated dual 18650 box, VTR v2, IPV2.
    Attys: Promethius, IGO W6, TOBH 26650 Atty, 454 big block, Magma, Mephisto

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by bigdancehawk View Post
    If they ban plain nicotine liquid, then it will be difficult and expensive to obtain liquid that you can be confident isn't contaminated. Not impossible, but difficult. People who might otherwise quit smoking will find if hard to get quality juice or the ingredients they need to make their own. Most will probably not bother to do so, IMO. And so many will die prematurely. This is not acceptable to me.
    It's not acceptable to me either. I'm just sharing my expectations, which are extremely bad for both public health and the economy. But they're going to do something and I just can't figure out what it will be, assuming they come to their senses.

Best case scenario would be VG-dissolved (PG produces worse breakdown products, apparently) nic at pharmacies available through the sudafed counter in convenient concentrations to which you would then add your own purchased flavorings. A much worse, but more likely, scenario would be requiring a prescription for the stuff. It will be a death knell for tobacco absolute and quality coffee flavors, of course, since those are usually extracted in-house and would require hundreds of thousands of dollars of validation.

I just can't wrap my head around how the FDA plans to stick itself in the picture without it either being laughable "well, at least we did something" regulation or the utter death of e-cigs across the country.

There's no real middle-ground.

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I am so grateful for CASAA.
    anavidfan, Jman8, aikanae1 and 1 others like this.
    Mods: Super-T:((4)ELA V1; (1)Simp(18350)-Ti; (1)Simp(18500)-Ti; (1)Simp(18650)-Ti; (1)Simp(26500)-SS; (1)Simp(26650)-SS) - GP PAPS:((2)X V1.5-SS; (1)X V1.5-Ti Edition #006)
    Atties:
    (2)KFL; (5) KFL+ V2; (1)Helios RDA; (3)S-T Strata RDA(ELA); (3)S-T Strata RDA(Simp)

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Kogijiki Ratchford View Post
    This is my cat Dolce...she has fangs and likes to sleep upside down. For pity's sake send in your comments!!!

This is my cat "Genevieve" she also likes to show hers and hang upside down, maybe they are related? I sent in my comment......

"me, I'm on the side of the Angels............ but the Devil is my best friend"

PV Master Verified Member Simply Red's Avatar

There are 18,670 active members on ECF. I am post #566. It's pretty sad that the rest of the 18,104 members haven't replied to this thread confirming their participation. Maybe they have elsewhere. Hopefully they have.

Receipt emailed to CASAA.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Are you guys running out of gas as we approach the finish line?

The propaganda the ANTZ are spewing in their comments centers on protecting the children. Do any of you have children? Grandchildren? Do the following comments make sense to you? Do you think they might make sense to the FDA? I’m offering my thoughts, hoping to be helpful. My child is grown, I have no grandchildren yet, so you guys are it for me now. Deal with it.

But whether you think it's helpful or not, will you please post your comment on the FDA site? Please? Post your comment if you care one whit about the chiiillldreeen.

OK, according to the ANTZ, it's all about the chiiillldreeen. No problem. What about your children? Your grandchildren? Might they need your companionship, guidance, love and financial and emotional support? What would happen tothemif you were to fall ill or die prematurely from lung cancer, heart disease, emphysema, or some other smoking related illness? If you don't have children or grandchildren, or even if you do, what about other smokers' children? Maybe those children would like to live in an environment where there's no second hand smoke, where their parents don't stink, where their parents aren't looked down on by their classmates, where their parents don't sneak out in the cold, darkness and freezing rain, like lepers, to smoke their nasty cigarettes? And maybe those children would prefer it if their moms and dads could run and play sports with them without coughing and wheezing and running out of breath. And maybe they would prefer it if their parents and grandparents survived to attend their graduation ceremonies.

Maybe smoking parents would derive joy if they could survive to have and enjoy grandchildren. And maybe those grandchildren would derive scientifically verifiable benefits from having grandparents. My dad, a wonderful, kind and wise man, and in otherwise excellent health, died prematurely of lung cancer and never even met his lovely, smart and lively granddaughter. I believe—correction: I know with absolute certainty— that he would have lived to see her and love her, and she him, if e-cigarettes had been invented 45 years ago.

Because of e-cigarettes, and only because of them, I hope to meet and enjoy my grandchildren. I hope they like their old granddad. I will take them water skiing, snow skiing, hiking, sightseeing, and I will help them pay for college. And I will offer them all manner of gratuitous and mostly worthless advice on how they should live their lives. That is, of course, if my almost lifelong smoking habit doesn't kill me first.
    DC2, dragonpuff, Robino1 and 5 others like this.
    Please become an active CASAA member. "It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." -- John Philpot Curran: Speech upon the Right of Election, 1790.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Maybe ECF as a whole should redirect to:

Regulations.gov

for all of the remaining time left of the comments period, let people see what could happen if this goes away, might make them act.

Just a thought.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran dragonpuff's Avatar
    Over the river and through the woods, Western NY

Quote Originally Posted by bigdancehawk View Post
    Are you guys running out of gas as we approach the finish line?

The propaganda the ANTZ are spewing in their comments centers on protecting the children. Do any of you have children? Grandchildren? Do the following comments make sense to you? Do you think they might make sense to the FDA? I’m offering my thoughts, hoping to be helpful. My child is grown, I have no grandchildren yet, so you guys are it for me now. Deal with it.

But whether you think it's helpful or not, will you please post your comment on the FDA site? Please? Post your comment if you care one whit about the chiiillldreeen.

OK, according to the ANTZ, it's all about the chiiillldreeen. No problem. What about your children? Your grandchildren? Might they need your companionship, guidance, love and financial and emotional support? What would happen tothemif you were to fall ill or die prematurely from lung cancer, heart disease, emphysema, or some other smoking related illness? If you don't have children or grandchildren, or even if you do, what about other smokers' children? Maybe those children would like to live in an environment where there's no second hand smoke, where their parents don't stink, where their parents aren't looked down on by their classmates, where their parents don't sneak out in the cold, darkness and freezing rain, like lepers, to smoke their nasty cigarettes? And maybe those children would prefer it if their moms and dads could run and play sports with them without coughing and wheezing and running out of breath. And maybe they would prefer it if their parents and grandparents survived to attend their graduation ceremonies.

Maybe smoking parents would derive joy if they could survive to have and enjoy grandchildren. And maybe those grandchildren would derive scientifically verifiable benefits from having grandparents. My dad, a wonderful, kind and wise man, and in otherwise excellent health, died prematurely of lung cancer and never even met his lovely, smart and lively granddaughter. I believe—correction: I know with absolute certainty— that he would have lived to see her and love her, and she him, if e-cigarettes had been invented 45 years ago.

Because of e-cigarettes, and only because of them, I hope to meet and enjoy my grandchildren. I hope they like their old granddad. I will take them water skiing, snow skiing, hiking, sightseeing, and I will help them pay for college. And I will offer them all manner of gratuitous and mostly worthless advice on how they should live their lives. That is, of course, if my almost lifelong smoking habit doesn't kill me first.
    That was very touching, and I mean that with the utmost sincerity. I do hope you submitted a comment with all of that

It is so important to remind the FDA that by supporting harm reduction methods, they are saving lives.

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering." – Doctor Who

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

DrMA has a blog where he's posted 13 or so comments that he's submitted to the FDA. First, they are worth reading and compact. Second he's given permission to use them in comments posted to the FDA and when I get winded rather than submitting blubbering comments, I intend to resubmit some of his comments. IMO they are that good. There are several threads with comments that bear repeating on ECF. No shame in using them.

I'm not a geek but I didn't casually see a way that regulations was tracking IP addresses and linking anoynmous comments together.

I know it's possible to mod a flashlight or Altoids tin and believe it or not, there are ways around it such as requiring a stamp (for tax purposes). Payments are also a vunerable gateway and it wouldn't be the first time an unpopular industry was squeezed at that choking point. This is not new or partucular to any political party. It's been going on for over 15 years that I'm aware of. Legality is secondary.

The cost of a pack of cigarettes to produce, including materials and labor, is apx $1. Consider the markup. Tobacco industry has developed around that business model and I doubt they expect to change. Consider the pharmacetical industry. The markup over materials and labor is estimated between 200% and 2,000% and I don't think they expect to change their business model either. Research and development is usually at taxpayer expense and now tobacco industry is poised to take advantage of the same kind of grants.

A lot of this has been discussed at length in many many threads previously. The FDA has had five years to develop these regulations - which is NOT saying this is a slam dunk for them and IMO they are obviously nervous about getting this over with. I think it's safe to say these regulations were rushed since there are huge swaths of infomation missing, intentionally or on purpose.

Anyway, I should be writting to them not preaching to the choir.
    "Don't blink."