So a fella walks into a vape shop...... - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Like Tree148Likes

Thread: So a fella walks into a vape shop......

E-Cig Afficionado Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Would I ever recommend a mechanical and a dripper to someone new to the hobby? Of course not.

But let's be honest a person doesn't just walk into a vape shop and ask for a dripper and a mechanical, usually these people walk in with the intention of buying it to make big clouds. Usually they've seen it on YouTube and they want to blow the big puffy clouds. Now a vape shop has to make a rational decision, do they sell this person an item they want knowing they're new? Or opt to say no and lose this person as a customer forever when he finds out they won't do it? In some cases you can steer the person in the right direction but everybody I've ever seen at my local shop that's new and comes in asking for this stuff comes in knowing they want the big puffy clouds. I can't blame the vape shop either way really, unless it's the shop forcing the gear on the person which I've never seen... and I hope it doesn't ever go down that way, but if it does shame on you. But if they ask for that setup and they're over 18 what can you do, say no? That's a potential customer you will have lost forever.
    stevegmu and ENAUD like this.

A nation of sheep, breeds a government of wolves... Join CASAA today!

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

To be fair to those that posted on the thread, the OP didn’t even mention what he purchased until page two. How many times have we congratulated someone on quitting without reading several pages of congratulatory posts before adding our two cents? There are several people who congratulated him on quitting that never would have said what they did if they’d caught what he said about the mech mod. Thankfully the OP is heeding what Baditude said.

Super Member Verified Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FlamingoTutu View Post
    To be fair to those that posted on the thread, the OP didn’t even mention what he purchased until page two. How many times have we congratulated someone on quitting without reading several pages of congratulatory posts before adding our two cents? There are several people who congratulated him on quitting that never would have said what they did if they’d caught what he said about the mech mod. Thankfully the OP is heeding what Baditude said.
    I also saw that too. In that post he never touched on what he got, simple that he had switched and quit. I think most of us just expect a new vaper would be using an ego or protected MOD of some kind. Maybe the "Congratulations" should be followed up with a what did you get...?
    Baditude and FlamingoTutu like this.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Yeah, and he said he smoked for over 40 years which puts him into his 50s. Nobody thought to see the mech thing coming. I would have assumed ego if I read that before this post. Lesson learned I guess.

Mystagogue Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RobinBanks View Post
    Well, I learned something new here. I had no idea flashlights are a hobby.
    It's the why part I can't figure out. But hey, whatever keeps them out of darkness.
    ProVarinati Princess ~ Infanta del Phidiae-Reo ~ Baroness Boboni of Sigeleiland
    CASAA Member

ProVari/Rüzgar ~ Reo/RM2 ~ bOd Mecha/KFL+ ~ Gus Kiss Qorax Edition/iTaste VF

Super Member Verified Member

I can speak to my experience. If I didn't get introduced to mech mods, RDA's and sub ohm vaping, I would still be smoking cigarettes. I tried to quit 2 times and failed using vaping as a cigarette substitute. So in the end, you need to vape what will get you off smokes. The analogies to cars and hamburgers are trying to make a point and I get it. But bottom line, vaping is in a category in itself since it is replacing a really awful habit. If I heard a salesperson refer a customer to a mech and RDA, explain basic battery and build safety, and lead them to quit smoking, then that salesperson did something right.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by The Ocelot View Post
    It's the why part I can't figure out. But hey, whatever keeps them out of darkness.
    I suspect that some of them feel that same way about us. But hey, it keeps us away from the smokes.
    No Matter How Good She Looks, Someone Somewhere Is Tired Of Her Crap

Ultra Member

Selling the customer a mech is probably OK as long as good batteries are sold with it. The thing that I disagree with is selling a new vaper an RDA/RBA. A carto/clearo would have been the better choice.

On the other side of the coin, if the customer insists.... Their is no cure for stupid.

Super Member ECF Veteran ElConquistador's Avatar

Maybe I'm just a wimp, but I only acquired my first mechanical device a week ago after 18+ months of vaping. I've been reading about them and thinking about them for a while, but I just wasn't sure about the whole battery amp draw / resistance, etc. stuff. I just continued to read tons of posts about them, including a ton of useful safety information from Baditude, and I finally pulled the trigger. I've been rebuilding coils for a year or so and feel very comfortable with what I'm doing now, but I'm about as low as I want to go at 1.0 ohm, maybe I'll try a 0.9 ohm coil just so I can say I'm a sub-ohmer!

I think if someone wrapped me an extremely sub-ohm coil, stuck a generic battery in a mech clone, and sent me on my way the first day, I would have no respect for the danger involved with these things. I picked that up over a period of many months of reading.
    Baditude and rbrylawski like this.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789