What do you say when some1 tells you that vaping doesn't help you quit smoking - Page 2
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What do you say when some1 tells you that vaping doesn't help you quit smoking

DC2
    I'm Chucked Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I have been studying all aspects of vaping for many years now.
    And I am fully prepared for anything thrown at me.

If anyone made such a comment to me, they had better be prepared for a long and drawn out debate that I will surely win.

And if they still just don't get it, they will at the very least know they had best not say such a thing out loud where I can hear it.
    Because when all else fails, I am not above berating such people for their ignorance in the same manner they are attempting to berate me for their false beliefs.

Unfortunately, I've never had the pleasure of such an encounter face-to-face.

I simply tell them that I could NOT stop smoking by ....

1. Going Cold Turkey
    2. Nicotine Patches
    3. Snus
    4. Nicotine Gum

But, I haven't had a cigarette now for more than 6 months after I started to vape nicotine juice

They can read it anyway they want to.

Oh, and when they ask me if vaping is safe ... I just tell them I had a chronic cough all the time when I smoked cigarettes. I would cough my lungs out every morning!

Now I hardly ever cough at all .... They can figure it out from there!
    Last edited by Flt Simulation; 08-23-2014 at 09:22 PM.
    jpargana and XBarbarian like this.
    . . . . . King II Mech Mod (clone). . . . . Kayfun Lite-Plus (authentic)

Ultra Member* ECF Veteran Vaslovik's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think someone telling you that is front-loaded with prejudice against vaping to start with, and not worth arguing with. Best response is a smile and show them your back.
    Bibliophile713 and XBarbarian like this.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

I just shrug and go about my life. It is too short to worry what someone else thinks.
    XBarbarian likes this.

My 0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

You Can't quit smoking unless you Want to. Really Want to.

So if a person Doesn't Want to quit smoking and then tries Vaping, they Probably are Not going to quit.

Also, a person's chances of Quitting goes up if they Start with a Decent Set-Up. And are Lucky to find an e-Liquid that they like Right Out of the Gate.

Picking up an el-Cheap-O Brand Disposable at the Gas Station might Turn Off a Smoker to Vaping.
    Baditude, beckdg, AndriaD and 1 others like this.

Super Member Verified Member
    Supporting Member

in general.. Im learning to not really engage too much. As was mentioned above, when the statement is made to me, matter of factly, it infers a closed mind to begin with.

I generally just say to them, well, I'm much happier and feeling considerably more healthy since I put down the cigarettes and started vaping.
    Flt Simulation likes this.
    Non Smoker Since 6/25/14 - Thanks to becoming a Vaper!
    Mods: Sigelei 100w, VS rDNA 30, REO Grand sl/lp, A-Mod (zna clone), Cartel, Stingray-X, iStick
    Attys: Erlkonigin, Atlantis, R91%, Kayfun, RM2, Atomic (bf modded), Tobh, Plumeveil, Magma, Nautilus's

Quote Originally Posted by XBarbarian View Post

I generally just say to them, well, I'm much happier and feeling considerably more healthy since I put down the cigarettes and started vaping.
    Good answer ... And if they can't figure it out from there, your wasting your time talking to them.
    XBarbarian likes this.
    . . . . . King II Mech Mod (clone). . . . . Kayfun Lite-Plus (authentic)

Blabbertypist Verified Member
    Registered Reviewer/Blogger
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zoiDman View Post
    You Can't quit smoking unless you Want to. Really Want to.

So if a person Doesn't Want to quit smoking and then tries Vaping, they Probably are Not going to quit.
    Also -- and I know this may not be true for all of us, but it was for me -- even wanting to really badly won't be enough, if the person doesn't actually MAKE THE EFFORT. E-cigs aren't a magic wand that makes cigarettes mysteriously vanish, and there *is* effort required, for a lot of people. You can read all the personal stories you want of how once someone tried vaping, they never smoked again -- for most of us, that's not the case; and for a smaller sub-set, there was serious effort required.

And even after the quit... e-cigs just make it *easier* but they don't completely remove however many years' or decades' worth of habit that has accumulated. There may be cravings; there may be urges to go outside and *do something*... but if you really want to quit, and you really make the effort... then e-cigs DO make it MUCH easier to quit than anything else that's ever been invented.

Andria
    My Personal Best: Smoke-Free and

Interested in vaping? Come visit me at http://angryvaper.crypticsites.com !

Super Member Verified Member

How about, "I'm so sorry it didn't work for you! Maybe your next attempt will bring you success".

It doesn't matter if they smoke, never smoked, never vaped-how in the hell could they know that if they haven't tried??
    zoiDman, AndriaD, PeterLi and 1 others like this.
    Just because you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town. ~ George Carlin

DC2
    I'm Chucked Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndriaD View Post
    Also -- and I know this may not be true for all of us, but it was for me -- even wanting to really badly won't be enough, if the person doesn't actually MAKE THE EFFORT. E-cigs aren't a magic wand that makes cigarettes mysteriously vanish, and there *is* effort required, for a lot of people. You can read all the personal stories you want of how once someone tried vaping, they never smoked again -- for most of us, that's not the case; and for a smaller sub-set, there was serious effort required,
    I'm sorry Andria, but I'm going to have to disagree...
    How Easy Was Switching to a Tobacco Alternative??
    How long did it take you to stop smoking?

For most of us, it was actually fairly easy.
    But in no way does that mean that this is true for everyone.

And it in no way diminishes the efforts of those who had to work a bit harder.
    And does not in any way convey upon such people any lack of willpower or desire.

I think it's mostly a matter of how fast you find what works for you.
    And even then there can be many other contributing factors beyond just "really wanting to quit".

It's just that I've seen a couple of posts lately saying how those that quit easily are in the minority, which does not appear to be the case.
    Or even worse, that those that quit easily are lying or not telling the whole story.

I can't let that pass without commenting.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast