What do you say when some1 tells you that vaping doesn't help you quit smoking
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What do you say when some1 tells you that vaping doesn't help you quit smoking

Default What do you say when some1 tells you that vaping doesn't help you quit smoking

I just give them the face , and say "Well I'm not smoking for over 6 months because of it"

RIMP, jpargana, Baditude and 6 others like this.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Hasn't happened to me but I'd think they were bug nuts crazy since they just told someone that did quit using ecigs that hadn't. Then, depending on the attitude they had and if they were a smoker, I'd either patiently go through the whole thing with them or walk off giggling.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Depends on who's speaking to me... If it's a stranger offering unsolicited commentary I'll usually just smile and thank them for their input, move on and not waste my time engaging them.

If it's someone I know... I'll hand them my Personal Vaporizer (PV) and say "Check it out". Then point out the components. This is the battery... this is the atomizer... that liquid contains nicotine, PG/VG & flavoring. I only use glass clearomizers so the ejuice is quite visible.

I point out that there is no tobacco. Also no fire. I have them push the button a few seconds and give it a smell... I generally use a coffee flavor I DIY and it smells like starbucks.

At that point I ask them... how is any of this like smoking a cigarette?

The typical response once they've had the tactile experience of holding it in their hand and explained what the components are... most will admit it's nothing like a cigarette... But you are still addicted to nicotine and using it. I just respond yep... point out that nicotine does not cause cancer... breathing smoke from burning tobacco does. Then very confidently mention "That's my choice and I'm healthier and sticking to it."

If they press the matter I advise them that harassing ex-smokers is very dangerous to big mouthed busy-bodies...
    RIMP, jpargana, faile and 16 others like this.

I have people tell me it has tar and the juice contains things way more addictive than tobacco. Then I inform them that I make my own juice and I could blow a cloud through a napkin and it will only get moist no discoloration. Then I blow a big ... cloud and they say damn that smells good. Hehe

Full Member Verified Member runitskat's Avatar

In my experience it's the people who don't smoke who are the most supportive. I've only had one person tell me that I haven't actually quit smoking, and he was a smoker himself. I didn't get into it with him because he's the type of person who won't listen anyways.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

The reason smokers are generally against it, is because if they can argue that it's the same, that justifies their continued smoking. The facts are not in their favour.

T
    jpargana, Baditude, chohan and 6 others like this.

You are what you eat? I don't remember eating a sexy beast this morning!

Blog Entries

+1 to zahzoo !

About 3 weeks after my last cigarette thanks to vaping, I told my co-workers that I had successfully stopped smoking. Great, they said. How'd you do it? I said that I was now vaping. Electronic cigarettes.

I worked in a hospital with surgeons and nurses. They said its great that I was no longer smoking, but those ecigarettes still have nicotine in them, right? I said yes, that is my addiction. The ecigs give me my nicotine in a much healthier way. No tobacco, tar, or smoke which is what causes cancer and COPD. Its not harmful to others around me and it doesn't stink like tobacco smoke does.

The nicotine patches, gum, lozenges, prescription drugs, and hypnosis (twice) didn't help me quit before. Ecigs did. Not only does ecigs provide the nicotine, but it replicates the hand-to-mouth habit which is a vital behavioral component in smoking, as well as the inhalation/exhalation of a substance. That's why those traditional nicotine substitutes didn't help me quit.

"But nicotine is still harmful!"

Oh really? Show me the study that proves that nicotine is any more harmful than caffeine. They are very similar drugs chemically. Caffeine is in coffee, tea, soft drinks, chocolate, and hundreds of other foods that you likely are not even aware of that you consume on a daily basis. I'm consuming far less nicotine than that pot full of coffee or 2 liter of Mountain Dew that you drink from all day. In fact, recent studies are showing that nicotine may be helpful in delaying conditions such as Alzheimers and Parkinsons.

They either fell silent or changed the subject. Case closed.

That was over 2 1/2 years ago. I've not had a cigarette since. Never wanted one. I've weaned myself down from 18mg nicotine down to either 6 mg or zero. I still enjoy my vape and flavors, even if there is no or very little nicotine in it. I have vaping to thank for saving my life. I feel much better since I have quit smoking. I'm no longer spending over $150 a month on cigarettes, maybe $30 a month on occassional premade e-liquid and making my own DIY flavors. You can't put a price on good health.

I'm no longer holding that pistol full of cigarettes (see avatar) to my head and committing slow suicide.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Recycled Roadkill's Avatar

I just ignore them. They make that easily done.
    XBarbarian likes this.

Well over Sixteen Thousand cigarettes NOT smoked and over $4000.00 savings in just 12 months. There's your milestone!

Blabbertypist Verified Member
    Registered Reviewer/Blogger
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

I just tell them that it enabled ME to quit smoking, and STAY quit, whereas nothing else ever had.

If they give me the "you're still smoking" BS, I just ask them where the cigarette is; it's certainly not in my hand. What's in my hand is a VAPORizer, there is no smoke, also no tobacco or fire, ergo, I'm not smoking.

If they continue to argue after that, I just figure they're an idiot and walk away. If they're ugly or abusive in their arguments, I'll even TELL them they're an idiot, before I walk away.

Andria
    This time...

Interested in vaping? Come visit me at http://vapefight.crypticsites.com !

PV Master Team ECF (folding@home)
    ECF Veteran

My normal response is "OH-OK"

The hard part of arguing with stupid is figuring out who is stupid.
    beckdg, iamthevoice and XBarbarian like this.
    http://www.casaa.org/images/9974739e5e33027c7244f0b4518d5a2d.jpg

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast