Issues with Burning Coils very fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reroka

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
Durham, North Carolina
Ok, so I am using a Pro tank 2 with a 1.8Ohm coils. My Battery is the 1100 Mah battery, not a VV a steady 3.7. However I am burning coils left and right with the pro tank 2. I am not sure as to why but It seems as soon as I put a new coil in in about 4 puffs my coils has burned. I have no clue what is going on.

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
Ok, so I am using a Pro Tank 2 with a 1.8Ohm Coils. My Battery is the 1100 Mah battery, not a VV a steady 3.7. However I am burning coils left and right with the pro tank 2. I am not sure as to why but It seems as soon as I put a new coil in in about 4 puffs my coils has burned. I have no clue what is going on.

Well, that comes out to about 7.6 watts. ProTank recommends 6.5 watts...try turning it down just a bit. They really don't do well over 7 watts. If you want more power, you are gonna need to rebuild the coils with some mesh and wire, then your limits are a bit more generous.

3.5 volts comes out to 6.8 watts. And it probably will make quite a difference in your coil life.

EDIT:

Sorry. I see you have a constant voltage. Get you some 2.2 ohm coils. They will do much better... (6.2 watts)

Last edited:

Reroka

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
Durham, North Carolina
To answer your questions, Yes it happens with the other tanks I have, Some coil different tank, I have tried 6 different tanks, Yes it seems to happen with all my liquids. This is the first time I expired this issue.

Why is it so many people leave out pertinent information. If it only happens with one liquid the problem is the liquid.

My first question is what do you mean? The coil pops (breaks)? You get a burnt taste? Other?

Second question is have you tried it in a different tank?

Penn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
In the wilderness
So If i order some 2.5s would this fix the issue. The funny thing it only happens with my Chacolate lquid. May be it's because it's thicker?

To answer your questions, Yes it happens with the other tanks I have, Some coil different tank, I have tried 6 different tanks, Yes it seems to happen with all my liquids. This is the first time I expired this issue.

What?! Which is it?

Penn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
In the wilderness
That makes more sense. I haven't used chocolate flavors but I hear they burn at a lower watts. The earlier posts may be right. That can be fixed by higher ohm coils or lower volts battery.

The other possibility is the thicker liquid is not wicking fast enough. The PT heads should have 2 flavor wicks laying on top of the coil. You can remove 1 to see if it helps but that could cause a new problem of flooding. That would be the easiest to test.

If you can make it into a B&M they might let you use a VV. Go in with a fresh tank, turn it down all the way and see if that does better. If so the higher ohm coils should work with your current battery.

Last edited:

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
Again...regardless of all other things, if you run your ProTank over 6.5 watts, you run the risk of burning wicks, coils, juice. It is clearly recommended for 6.5 watts. So if you have only a 3.7 volt device...

1.8 ohms means (3.7 x 3.7)/1.8=7.61 watts
2.2 ohms means (3.7 x 3.7)/2.2=6.22 watts
2.5 ohms means (3.7 x 3.7)/2.5=5.48 watts

electricwheel_zps86704564.png

Reroka

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
Durham, North Carolina
Last night I ordered at VV Itaste svd. So I only have a few more days then I will have a much better set up. For now I will stop by and get some higher ohm coils to last me. This is the first time I have ran in to this issue. I am not sure what ohm coil came with the system but I did not have this problem till i changed them out.

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
The problem you're describing sounds like it has more to do with the juice and less to do with a resistance or other technical problem. I've been DIY'ing since Nov '12 and I can tell you not all juices are created equal. Sweet and savory juices tend to eat up coils and alot of people including myself have had the exact issue you describe. Also thicker juices may be harder for those coils to wick, could be related as well. Though they usually last alot longer than 4 puffs which is why I'm still saying it might be related to your problem.

Last edited:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
A PT kit typically comes with a 2.2 and 2.5 ohm head.

I agree with Eddard - even 3.7 volts can run a 1.8 ohm Kanger coil too hot. Hell, I find that even 3.2 volts is practically too much for a new 1.8 ohm Kanger coil. Because of that I quit using them - there just isn't any room to adjust the voltage any lower with the 1.8 ohm coils. The 2.2 ohm coils seem to be the best happy medium.

The other issue that sorta came up here is your liquids. In general, very dark or very sweet liquids can gunk up a coil really fast - in a matter of days if not hours. If you love that chocolate you just may have to get used to cleaning coils very often. Mind you, running a coil too hot is only going to make the problem happen even faster. Once you crud up a coil with flavorings and sweetener "burned" onto the wick anything you try to vape after that is just gonna taste... burned.

Have you checked out the cleaning methods for Kanger coils yet? Don't toss any of the "bad" coils out - they can be rescued with cleaning. Just set the used 1.8 ohm coils aside for now until you get your VV battery.

Butters78

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Fixed,

Sorry I fixed my post, Yes it happens with the two liquids I have, ONe chocalate, the other afternoon delight from MBV.

Every time I see someone mention that juice I have to post the song. Last time was the anchorman version now I have to go original. Sky rockets in flight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread