Flux wicking question
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flux wicking question

Default Flux wicking question

Being still somewhat new to the Flux scene (never tried regular or "old" CE2s), sometimes unexpected things happen.

For instance. I have a XL Flux that kept chugging happily along for about a week or so. I wasn't using it all the time, tho. Filled it once, no problem. On the second fill is just stopped wicking. I can't get a normal draw even when I upend it every time - I get some vapor, but still that dry icky taste.

It's not really dirty or anything, the juice hasn't changed, the wicks are still attached. I fluffed and cut bigger holes before I started using it (just in case).

So what could be causing this? Can I fix it? Should I try cleaning it even if it doesn't look dirty?

Thanks and cheers.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Weird. I have a bunch and never had an issue with them. I love them. What ohm rating did you get, also what type of pv are you using.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

By the way you should never mess around w/ modding them, unless you have a issue with the wicking. That may be your issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottinboca View Post
    By the way you should never mess around w/ modding them, unless you have a issue with the wicking. That may be your issue.
    Why not? Every one of my CE2's gets modded before the first fill.

Briar, maybe on the second fill the rubber seal got pushed down on the wicking too far. Try pulling it up a little, or out completely and see if that helps.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch333 View Post
    Why not? Every one of my CE2's gets modded before the first fill.

Briar, maybe on the second fill the rubber seal got pushed down on the wicking too far. Try pulling it up a little, or out completely and see if that helps.
    This

It depends on what your liquid is. 100% PG can wick without a problem in these, but above 30% VG and the wick's too choked off. I vape 50/50; that said I have to ensure that my wicks aren't being choked.

My personal method is to slice them in half longways with a razor blade, though you need to be careful not to cut yourself (Not into two half circles, but into two full circles). That keeps from leaking but gives me more than enough room to wick happily. Only downside is I'll flood if I leave them on their side too long, but alas...

My old method was to snip an upside down V into each of the n shaped openings. This worked fine, but with the smoky ones I was having problems lining them back up since I can't see through well enough, so I just said f it and use my current method.

Another method is to just use two of the O-Rings you remove to refill, and skip the fill cup all together. This will lead to a LOT of flooding, though. If you have a VV device it's not a big deal because you can crank up the voltage to burn off the excess liquid without having to unscrew it and blow into a paper towel.

Others use other methods, too, but these are the ones I've used and what works for me. Your mileage may vary, of course.

PV Master ECF Veteran kelleymcm's Avatar

I only use VG & mine wick fine & have all year ....I agree w/the "you probably push your cup down to tight" idea....
    I throw those away & just use the donuts on the little ones (ce2's not the visions)
    I wanna try the new conversion kits for the rest of my ce2's ...I Like that mouth piece on the visions !

I normally mod all my Fluxes because I have a chronic problem with wicking... I know most people don't, but either I am tremendously unlucky, or - I just don't know. I take off all the plugs, lift up the wicks a bit, then put the thin ring back on upside down, or cut the slots into the fat plug.

I took all the plugs off the one I was talking about originally, it didn't help. I tossed it, finally...

In general, I came to the conclusion that part of my problem is the juice I use. I am partial to darker, sweeter juices. A couple of fruit ones I used wicked fine, but not my usual ones.

My short Fluxes mostly work fine, but the XL ones have to be vaped practically upside down once I am down to half-fill. It's a real pain. I don't mind turning upside down once in a while, but every time? (One of the reasons I am looking forward to the new Sapphire - wick on the bottom and all that)

What i am wondering now is if it would help to loosen up the wicks all the way down. Just take the Flux apart before using it and pull each wick apart just a bit. Would that help wicking or harm it? I am not sure... What do you think?

Cheers.

My 0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scottinboca View Post
    Say What...

Why?

Well, I sorta unraveled the wicks halfway down. Didn't make any difference. Vaped like a champ half-way, like a wimp for another quarter, and almost not at all from then on. This was a brand-new carto. Oh, well. I guess I'll just have to live with it.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Stef64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Briar View Post

My short Fluxes mostly work fine, but the XL ones have to be vaped practically upside down once I am down to half-fill. It's a real pain. I don't mind turning upside down once in a while, but every time? (One of the reasons I am looking forward to the new Sapphire - wick on the bottom and all that)
    I've noticed the same thing. I use mostly 70/30 juices and have no problems with wicking in short Fluxos. In the XL, they vape like a champ until the juice gets half way down and then they gradually diminish in performance unless I turn them upside down or fill them up. Could it have something to do with the length the juice has to travel to reach the coil?
    I've learned to fill them up when they get half full but it kind of defeats the purpose of having XL's.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast