Easy Triton Re-wick With Cotton and Silica - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Easy Triton Re-wick With Cotton and Silica

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hostil View Post
    Great write up! Did this yesterday.... did not trim the bottom wick like you did, and made the flavor top wick out of cotton as well. Way to much cotton in the tank. I like your way much better. The question I have (will experiment once I get my silica wick) do you notice any difference in flavor or performance when using cotton over silica for the bottom wick?
    Thanks! I read your write-up yesterday and I just wanted to join in the fun.

I think there's a slight but noticeable difference in flavor. Most of us "cotton people" swear it produces a "cleaner" flavor than silica. The two materials (cotton vs. silica) have very different properties. Cotton has excellent absorbtion qualities, and it really swells up when hit with e-liquid. Silica, not so much. But silica does do capillary action just fine.

Performance, imho, is indistinguishable from a new stock Triton coil.

Update: I'm vaped the tank holding this coil down below 0.8mL. Triton has been vertical 100% of the time since 1.2mL, with no tilting or swirling. All good. No gurgling or burnt hits. I was skeptical that a single wick could feed the main cotton coil, but it's been working fine.

I'm going to go out on a limb and declare this particular experiment a success. Very interested to hear other's experiences!

Ultra Member Verified Member Nanny22's Avatar

I DID IT! I rewicked 3 old coils that just had bad wicks but were fine otherwise - only took about 20 minutes! I used 2mm silica for both wicks, since I don't have cotton yet. Getting some cotton today, but the pics helped so much! The hardest part was getting the the teflon tape to hold the wick securely. That little problem will be eliminated when I get the cotton - but good to know I can do it and either use both cotton or a combination ~
    Mr. Nanny is going to be so PROUD!
    Thanks so much for the helpful tips!
    Evie Luv, AngiBe, Joe13 and 4 others like this.

Serious question though. The coils are so cheap why bother re wicking them when a new one costs about a buck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Because we can!

It's part curiosity, part stubbornness, part thrift, and part thrill in getting one over on "the man" (j/k Halo - I luv ya!).
    Evie Luv, AngiBe, DaveOno and 2 others like this.

Ultra Member Verified Member Nanny22's Avatar

I tried it because I am a juice junkie! Anything I save on equipment, I can use to BUY MORE JUICE!!! And now i can replace any wicks that hold the flavor of the juices so they don't cross flavor a new one when I try it. (I don't drip -- yet -- you can ask my doctor!) And I haven't gotten infected yet with "shiny-itis" so my Tritons and a few mini-tanks are all I am basically working with.
    Evie Luv, Joe13 and always9988 like this.

Yup, cross flavoring is my main reason. No matter how well I thought I rinsed out the wicks sometimes I could still taste other flavors. Also I think its a good practice to take the bottom wicks out and dry burn the crap off your coil everyonce in awhile, so may as well change out the wicks while you're doing it...
    Joe13 and Nanny22 like this.

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Thanks Joe!!! Awesome write up. Quick question, why did you cut the cotton short? Just curious if there is any rhyme or reason you did this and if you tried it out with cotton tail (ok, couldn't resist that...it's almost Easter, give I've me a break ) longer?

Also, ever try it with cotton yarn wick like SnC? I have a vape party Sat and going to do a test with several tanks..can't wait.

EDIT- also a big thanks for taking time and posting pics too!!!! Very cool and helpful of you!!
    Last edited by AngiBe; 03-28-2014 at 12:24 AM.
    Joe13 and Nanny22 like this.

ProVari | byLeo Dripper Pro & Sophia| REO | Chalice II & III | Halo

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngiBe View Post
    Thanks Joe!!! Awesome write up. Quick question, why did you cut the cotton short? Just curious if there is any rhyme or reason you did this and if you tried it out with cotton tail (ok, couldn't resist that...it's almost Easter, give I've me a break ) longer?

Also, ever try it with cotton yarn wick like SnC? I have a vape party Sat and going to do a test with several tanks..can't wait.

EDIT- also a big thanks for taking time and posting pics too!!!! Very cool and helpful of you!!
    Force of habit. Been rebuilding Protank coils, and the consensus is that the wicks should be trim. I haven't tested leaving them long, so I can't say for sure, but I suspect there wouldn't be much of a diff, as long as the cotton tails have good contact with the feeder wick.

Never tried it with yarn. I'm pretty sure that would work fine tho.

It was fun doing this, and I'm very happy to share an experiment, and give a little back to Halo Nation.

Blush.
    Evie Luv, AngiBe, DaveOno and 2 others like this.

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Well tried this out on Sat and I have mixed results. I used a longer tail cotton ball wick in the coil and used a cotton yarn flavor wick. At first, I wasn't getting much vapor or flavor and wondered if I had used too much cotton or if it was because I was using a 100% VG juice.

After several primer puffs, it did produce more vapor but the flavor was just off. I also tried the same set up except with a shorter cotton ball wick...same thing. I'm just not getting a good flavor out of this set up.

So I wanted to try a cotton yarn wick and this is where it all went down hill. I'm not familiar w/Teflon tape so I just used scotch tape to make the yarn end small so I could thread through...wrong! It would pull the coil with it so the coil would bend/move out of place and get damaged.

I'm going to buy Teflon tape next and some extra 2mm silica because I feel silica provides a better flavor so will use it at least for the flavor wick.
    Joe13 likes this.

ProVari | byLeo Dripper Pro & Sophia| REO | Chalice II & III | Halo

Yeah... for some reason the cotton just gave me an off flavor as well. I got the 2mm silica and had no flavor issues. Just my opinion. One thing I did notice....once you take the wick out you can really see how gummed up the coil is. Pulled all my wicks and dry burned all the goop off my coils....much better now!
    AngiBe, Joe13, gopher_byrd and 1 others like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast