Easy Triton Re-wick With Cotton and Silica - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Easy Triton Re-wick With Cotton and Silica

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by AngiBe View Post
    Well tried this out on Sat and I have mixed results. I used a longer tail cotton ball wick in the coil and used a cotton yarn flavor wick. At first, I wasn't getting much vapor or flavor and wondered if I had used too much cotton or if it was because I was using a 100% VG juice. After several primer puffs, it did produce more vapor but the flavor was just off. I also tried the same set up except with a shorter cotton ball wick...same thing. I'm just not getting a good flavor out of this set up.
    I vape DIY 50/50. I know 100% VG is a lot thicker, so that could a major the difference here. Couple of things if you're really bored and/or you wanna 'speriment... I've read some reports about bad/off flavors with cotton. Perhaps try organic cotton (if you haven't already), boil in distilled H2O (not tap), and let dry before using.

I assume you dry-burned the coil. Did it glow nicely?

Too much cotton will usually result in burnt hits, because the coil chokes the wick as it expands with liquid. Too little cotton, and you'll experience gurgling.

Quote Originally Posted by AngiBe View Post
    So I wanted to try a cotton yarn wick and this is where it all went down hill. I'm not familiar w/Teflon tape so I just used scotch tape to make the yarn end small so I could thread through...wrong! It would pull the coil with it so the coil would bend/move out of place and get damaged. I'm going to buy Teflon tape next and some extra 2mm silica because I feel silica provides a better flavor so will use it at least for the flavor wick.
    Yeah, I tried scotch tape and aluminum foil (and ruined several coils) before I stumbled upon telfon. It's tricky. But once you get the first one through, you'll be an expert, and you'll wanna rewick all of your coils.

Stick with silica if that's what you like! After all, that's what the stock Triton coils are made of.

I've never tried this with cotton for both wicks as you did. Please keep me informed if you experiment further.

Thanks!
    AngiBe likes this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Thanks Joe! And yes, the cotton ball for the main wick was organic cotton balls and the flavor wick was SnC cotton yarn that I boiled in distilled water. I do use both in my Dripper Pro and Sophia with out issues but...maybe the double cotton just didn't lend any flavor?

I'm ordering some stuff from Stormy's this week so will pick up some silica and give that a shot and I gotta buy this stupid tape!!! AND, I did not dry burn so maybe my coils were gunked.
    Joe13 likes this.

ProVari | byLeo | REO| Halo

I tried to remove the wick from and old halo coil and it wouldn't budge. I tried twisting and pulling, but nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PV Master Verified Member always9988's Avatar

Saund, you'll have to use needle nose pliers to pull the bottom center pin and grommet first, then the coil falls right out.

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Saundhaus View Post
    I tried to remove the wick from and old halo coil and it wouldn't budge. I tried twisting and pulling, but nothing.
    I've seen this with seriously gunked-up coils. "Wick-lock". Try an overnight alcohol soak, followed by a 15 min boil. That should remove enough of the burnt-on gunk so you can dry-burn and re-wick without damaging the coil you have.

Personally, I don't bother. In such a case, I just remove the old coil and build a new one.
    BigBen2k likes this.

Ugh I used some cotton as a flavor wick. (Mind I use max VG so that probably didn't help) but it didn't keep up with the way I chain vape at all. Burnt about 3 hits in, ewww
    Joe13 likes this.

ECF Veteran

Seeing bad reports here from using cotton as a flavor wick.

I see a trend!

I just was hoping that would help because of the VG not wicking as well. I've had mixed success with removing a few strands of the flavor wick or using cotton as the main wick. The flavor seems better with the cotton but I tend to not pay attention to how often I'm hitting it so it burns way faster

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joe13 View Post
    Seeing bad reports here from using cotton as a flavor wick.

I see a trend!
    Hhhmmm, Always and I both used 100% VG with this...and sub par results. Maybe it doesn't work as well w/100% VG? I'm still gonna play around with it.

Has anyone used hemp wick? Curious if that provides decent flavor?

ProVari | byLeo | REO| Halo

Supporting Member

If one re-wicks with cotton, then wouldn't dry burning no longer be an option since the cotton will scorch/burn where silica wouldn't?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast