Easy Triton Re-wick With Cotton and Silica
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Easy Triton Re-wick With Cotton and Silica

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default Easy Triton Re-wick With Cotton and Silica

This is an experiment. So far so good. I've vaped a 1/2 tank of a DIY juice that's very prone to burning, and I'm happy with the way it works. No burnt taste or gurgling yet.

The idea here was to use cotton for the main wick, yet use a piece of silica as a flavor wick (and to feed the cotton in the main wick).

Here's a used Triton coil disassembled, after a dry burn. I pulled a wisp of cotton off of an organic cotton ball, purchased from CVS. It was not boiled.

IMG_1205.jpg

The cotton was formed into a point and passed through the coil. A little resistance was felt while pulling, but it wasn't very much. The amount of cotton is critical! Too much and not enough liquid will be drawn in. Too little, and you'll get juice leaking into the coil, resulting in gurgling.

IMG_1206.jpg

Trimmed and fluffed.

IMG_1207.jpg

Looking down the coil. Looks pretty to me. Let's put it back together.

IMG_1208.jpg

Coil reassembled.

IMG_1209.jpg

Threading silica through the coil can be difficult, even using the teflon tape trick. This avoids it. The coil was very easy to load into the tank - the silica feeder strands are nice and stiff. Pure flavor from using cotton in the main wick.

Not as much vapor as my Provari/AeroTank with rebuilt micro-coil, but every bit as good as a new Triton coil should be.
    BigBen2k, AngiBe, DaveOno and 6 others like this.

Interesting. Why use boiled cotton, and why didn't you boil it?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ECF Veteran

I used organic cotton. I didn't boil it, because I've been using it in my AeroTanks, and it tastes fine to me right out of the bag.

Ultra Member* Verified Member AmandaD's Avatar

What a good idea! I tried, and failed, the teflon trick....but cotton I can do!

I use cotton all the time in my RDAs, so I have a lifetime supply
    Joe13 and gopher_byrd like this.

How do you get the original wick out? I've got an old coil that I tried to pull the wick, but it seams to tightly hooked into the coil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ultra Member* Verified Member AmandaD's Avatar

You can gently wiggle it - they do come out
    Joe13 and Aviationrich like this.

PV Master Verified Member DaveOno's Avatar

twisting and it might come out. If you twist both ends, the diameter reduces. But if it's stuck with gunk to the coil, good luck. I have only like 33% success with removing the coil wick.

Thanks, Joe. I will try some cotton.
    Joe13 likes this.

PV Master ECF Veteran GreenLeaf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaD View Post
    You can gently wiggle it - they do come out
    Or let 'em dry. They'll yank easier.
    Joe13 likes this.

ECF Veteran

If you're having difficulty removing the old main wick, the only thing I can think of is that it's seriously gunked up. Any more than a slight tug will disturb the coil, possibly making rewicking hard or impossible, or you might even break the coil. The wire is thin and it's delicate. I'd recommend an overnight soak in alcohol before proceeding.

Update: I left the Triton laying down over night. No gurgling. Performs as well as it did last night. It's below 1/2 tank now, and I'm keeping it vertical. No burnt hits yet. Looks like the feeder wick is doing its job, feeding the cotton sufficiently.

Great write up! Did this yesterday.... did not trim the bottom wick like you did, and made the flavor top wick out of cotton as well. Way to much cotton in the tank. I like your way much better. The question I have (will experiment once I get my silica wick) do you notice any difference in flavor or performance when using cotton over silica for the bottom wick?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast