Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Vaping's effect on teeth/gums - redux!

Full Member ECF Veteran

Default Vaping's effect on teeth/gums - redux!

I searched, read, searched again, and read that. And then I attacked a few medical journal searches through my university ebesco hosts.

I promise, double pinky swear!

But, I've got a very deep seated anxiety about my dental health - very deep seated. Good solid teeth - but bad gums. Yeah, it's probably a side effect of 17 years of smoking. But... I dunno. I love my vape. I'm just worried about what it could be doing to my mouth. I don't think I have a problem with dry mouth. My lips aren't sticking to my teeth, and my tongue isn't sticking to the roof of my mouth. Plenty enough saliva, keeping hydrated, no alcohol-containing mouthwash. I'm still really bugged, though, by the idea that something in this could predispose to cavities or receding gums.

Lay it on me, folks. For those of you who have been vaping for long periods of time... how's it going with your gums and stuff? Are any of you noticing receding, or anything else that can be attributed to vaping? How's your teeth? I need a little reassurance, I guess, before I start flying off into a string of panic attacks and end up on Xanax by the weekend.

Thanks,
    Shadzi

Senior Member ECF Veteran FieryOne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadzi View Post
    I searched, read, searched again, and read that. And then I attacked a few medical journal searches through my university ebesco hosts.

But, I've got a very deep seated anxiety about my dental health - very deep seated. Good solid teeth - but bad gums. Yeah, it's probably a side effect of 17 years of smoking. But... I dunno. I love my vape. I'm just worried about what it could be doing to my mouth. I don't think I have a problem with dry mouth. My lips aren't sticking to my teeth, and my tongue isn't sticking to the roof of my mouth. Plenty enough saliva, keeping hydrated, no alcohol-containing mouthwash. I'm still really bugged, though, by the idea that something in this could predispose to cavities or receding gums.

Lay it on me, folks. For those of you who have been vaping for long periods of time... how's it going with your gums and stuff? Are any of you noticing receding, or anything else that can be attributed to vaping? How's your teeth? I need a little reassurance, I guess, before I start flying off into a string of panic attacks and end up on Xanax by the weekend.

Thanks,
    Shadzi
    I don't think you have more to worry about than drinking soda. Brush your teeth regularly and you should be fine. I'm no dentist and have only been vaping a month, but my mouth, teeth and gums look better than they did when I started.

ECF Moderator
    Ask The Vets Manager
    Asst Classifieds Manager
    Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

As long as you are brushing and flossing regularly and drinking plenty of water you are fine. ( Oral tissue can be dry without "sticking". )
    Best recommendation...always go to sleep with a brushed and flossed mouth...nice and clean...you don't salivate as much when asleep and the bodys "self cleaning" is basically turned off.

CES
    optimistic cynic Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I've been vaping for almost a year. I've gone for regular dental checkups twice in that time. No cavities and no problems. My dentist is thrilled. He said my gums are looking nice and healthy. He asked me for e-cig info both visits so that he could tell other patients about vaping.

Resident Musician ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Do a search for "gums" and "dentist" on the main page (right side search box). You'll find multiple accounts of glowing dental reports from vapers. My dental hygienist said that she couldn't tell I was a smoker and she emphasized that she ALWAYS could tell because smoker's gums have a certain grayish pink tint, especially where they meet the teeth. She asks people if they smoke when she sees that and she said she is always right. I confounded her when I told her I had only been vaping two months at the time. She was shocked! It came up when she mentioned how bad smoking was for capillaries and I told her about vaping. She is going to inform her smoking family members about vaping.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran texastumbleweed's Avatar

i am a health care professional. all i can say is that my gums are much healthier since i quit smoking and started vaping 3 months ago. i have no worries. of course, nicotine is a vasoconstrictor no matter what form you have it delivered in, but the beauty of vaping is that you can taper down your nic strength to zero...if desired.
    FOURWHEELIN', MUDSLINGIN', GUN SLINGIN',CAMO WEARIN' KINDA REDNECK WOMAN! DONT MESS WITH TEXAS!
    GO-GO+TASTY VAPOR ATOMIC CINNACIDE=PURE VAPING HEAVEN!!!

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

great question from the op and thanks for the responses. I was worried about the same issue!

ACM
    Super Member ECF Veteran

The more info we can publish on vaping and dental health the better. I have been worried about the ingredients in e-juice possibly containing substances that promote tooth decay, but have yet to read anything substantial on the issue. One thread mentioned the possible use of sugar in e-juice (to account for the sweet taste of some juices), but sweetness is a characteristic of PG, and I can't find any reference to sugar in any of the juices I've used from places like JC and Vermont Vapor. But could some of the other additives for flavoring potentially cause tooth decay?

To be safe, I never vape after I brush my teeth before bed. But I sort of suspect I am being overly cautious.

Certainly, since I stopped smoking altogether, I have seen a real improvement in how white my teeth are now, and that's a good thing!

Ultra Member ECF Veteran ThankU4Vaping's Avatar

Default Vaping does not harm your gums

Quote Originally Posted by Shadzi View Post

Thanks,
    Shadzi
    I have bad gums (periodontal disease) too! I've had the gum-flap surgery twice and the deep root planing and scaling, many times. Aside from 35 years of analogs, I love my coffee and my coca-cola too, which does not help my stained teeth. I was still smoking in early April when I saw the dentist, but I started vaping in late April and in July I saw my periodontist who already noticed "less staining". Then he measured my gum pockets (mine went as high as 8 last time), and my highest number was 6! That is a great improvement - my gums are healing and getting healthier. The periodontist was impressed and I gave him a bunch of V4L business cards to give out.
    Just yesterday I went back to the dentist (I alternate the dentist and the perio guy every 3 months) and my mouth is in very good shape! I vaped in the chair after my cleaning, talked about vaping, and gave some V4L cards to my dentist. This dentist has been asking me to quit smoking for 15 years, and he was so happy I finally did. He really got a kick out of seeing me vape. I used my automatic chrome battery with the green LED and he kept saying "do it again, do it again" and called out to the hygienist to come and see. He thought the e-cig was very cool!
    Bwilly likes this.

Super Member* ECF Veteran BadThad's Avatar

I had the gum surgery about 4 years ago and it helped my problem with "deep pockets". I just visited my dentist about 2 months ago and she was trying to get me to repeat the gum surgery.....NO WAY I told her. It's a horrible experience! On my next visit I will have her recheck my gums and pocket depth and I'll report back here. I'm really expecting an improvment like Thanku4vaping. I'm really over the top with my oral care but it was a battle due to all the smoking. I'm continuing to be diligent with brushing (3x day), flossing, stim-u-dents and mouthwash. My guess is that my dentist is going to be thrilled on my next visit when she sees my gums.....my teeth are perfect, never a problem....it's the gums that have given me problems....but I attribute it all to smoking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast