Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: vaping health effects

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default vaping health effects

hey all. been off reg cigs for over 2 weeks, been vaping instead. Something happened though yesterday that kinda scared me.
    basicly, i went for a surf, forgot my leash once i got on the beach and said screw it, i only had time for a wave or two anyway. So basicly lost the board after my first wave cause it closed out, and was stuck in the white wash swimmin for it tryin to grab my board for bout 5 minutes. Now i got it, got out of the water, and something happened that hasn't happened since i was a kid. I felt like i was hyper ventalating
    Now the whole situation was wierd cause i had been in the truck for 8 hours and my whole body started locking up on me after that, so i know there was more going on than just the hyperventalating. got dizzy and my eyes got heavy and all my muscles just hurt so i layed there with my eyes closed for about 15 minutes.
    Not tryin to say like, o o o vaping screwed up my body! i still think it's better than cigs/analogs.. cigs is shorter than analog, i'm gonna call them cigs :P But what i'm wondering is if anyone has found anything similar in thier experiences,

and I'm wondering a basic question of, does vaping reduce your wind? Its been a couple weeks since i stopped cigs and i find a still do a little cough now and again, however its not this mucus or anything, very loose. I just want to know how this stuff is effecting my body in terms of physical endurance. ty

2. Advertisement

That's a really hard question to answer without knowing what your smoking and how much/often. It may be a question for your doctor, if you have a really cool one. While they're not going to put themselves on the line with a definitive answer, you could maybe ask your doc to help you monitor your health as you switch.

There's a lot about e-cigs that's still kind of up in the air, so common sense and at least a small measure of caution should be used while vaping, imho. You really have to try to differentiate symptoms, too. 2 weeks off of analogs is going to leave you with symptoms, so it's really a better question directed towards a veteran vaper.

Full Member ECF Veteran

It's going to be really difficult for even a health professional on here to answer that I reckon. Anecdotal responses are all well and good for allaying fears dude. But there could be any number of things going on, it could be entirely innocuous, or it might be purely coincidental that this happened just as you've made the switch.

I totally agree with Eithne - get your doctor in the loop. Get the usual stuff done, blood pressure, cholesterol, blood tests etc. Then you'll at least have a better chance of tracking any positive/negative changes, and your doc should be able to better interpret the results than anyone here.
    Last edited by b3ast1e; 09-11-2011 at 03:25 PM.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

It could have been dehydration. You have to get more fluids when you vape. Then adding exertion like swimming and surfing on top of it. Next time get a bottle of water and gatorade in ya first.
    Iffy likes this.

Super Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Well, you say:

1) you where in your truck for 8 hours
    This says to me an adrenaline rush honestly. Did you stretch yer muscles out afore you went surfing? If not, you may very well have put a strain on them. If you had been in the truck for 8 hours, how long where you actually awake. Had you eaten. Where you well hydrated. From a medical standpoint, you could be suffering anything from deydration to just plain to tired to be on yer board! Usually the simplist answer is the correct one :0)

2) you are healing from analogs.
    The fact is, it will take MONTHS and possibly YEARS for your body to "come back" or heal up from smoking. For some of us, this will NEVER happen. Nobody really knows how long it takes for the crap in our lungs to come up. If it ever all DOES come up. That's a fact. It could take the 2 weeks you been clean (and I dont' use the term clean loosly, you are an addict period!!! You are merely choosing to NOT inhale smoke) and it could possibly take longer.

Litte bit of a pathophysiology lesson for you in reguards to addiction (this also includes all the chemicals you have been smoking in analogs, ....... or any other drug for that matter that is addictive, for those of you who have had this lecture from Tan, skip it /grin). This will be pretty symplistic.

In your brain you have little guys that pick up nicotine and the other chemicals in cig's. They are called receptors. As you go on smoking, more of these receptors grow to attach more nicotine. Guess what yer brain looks like after a few years, then 10 then 20 ad nauseum LOL

These guys start DYEING when you quit cigs. Tosses yer body out of whack. Your internal chemical makeup is shot to hell in a handbasket, EVERYTHING can be tossed out of whack. This process usually takes up to a YEAR (in some cases even longer, it's why addicts are crazy, clincally, the first year). So ya, yer internal chemistry is screwed to put it lightly. When yer internal chemistry is screwed, weird things happen because your body may not be "reading" your external and internal stimuli correctly. So lots of strange stuff appears to be happening to you!

Suggestion, STRETCH out your muscles. Stay HYDRATED (cant' stress this enough with vapeing, fluids, fluids and then MORE fluids) eat healthy. GIVE YOUR POOR LITTLE BODY THE CHANCE TO HEAL. You've beat the hell out of your internals with Analogs. The human body without a doubt is the most complicated and miraculous machine the world has ever seen, but it still needs to repair after you quit putting the crap into it!!!

Pay attention to your body and how it feels. If it feels ok when yer calm, go for it in moderation. Learn how your body reacts NOW, and remember this could change as it heals.

I'm glad your feeling your strength again. Sure feels good don't it? Give yerself a break and go easy :0) you'll work your way back up to the "rad" again!

Now with the above said, IF you feel this becomes an ongoing issue or you really are worried, get thy .... to a doc!!! Better safe than sorry!!
    Last edited by Taniger1; 09-11-2011 at 03:39 PM.

Default Same thing happend to me

I think a couple of you called it correctly. DEHYDRATION.
    Vaping didnt cause your body to lock up, it was more than likely the inactivity for 8 hours,
    and not getting enough water.

Surfing is a lot like running, and skiing.
    When your legs burn that is a build up of lactic acid.
    lactic acid has a tendancy to build up with inactivity.
    Most likely THAT is what caused your body to "lock up".

Adrenaline on the other hand makes you imperVious to pain and exhaustion at high levels.
    All that medical stuff being said, I went through a similar episode.

I had been Vaping for a couple of months.
    I have been doing Krav Maga Self defense on and off since 2007.
    It is highly intense and we go for 90 minutes.
    I pay for the dang classes and just quit going because of my cigarette habit!
    Just could not breathe!
    Anyway I started to do the warm ups and the running and push ups and could NOT breathe.
    Yeah almost blacked out,I laaid on the floor and everything went black and I tried to catch my breath and could not.
    I think it's important for all of us who Vape to understand that nicotine is a VASO restrictor.

Vaping is BETTER for you than cigarettes but nicotine itself restricts the flow of blood because it shrinks and tightens your veins momentarily,so... restricted blood flow = exhaustion. Blood carries oxygen to our brain (duh) and then loses it's oxygen slowly after that, until it gets to the lungs and gets oxygenated. Nicotine (no matter what form) slows this process, but the longer you stay of the analogs and stay active you will feel the difference. PROMISE.
    Also nicotine can cause plaque build up in the arteries so get checked at least once a year, and watch your blood pressure.
    Ok I rambled but i hope this helps someone. KEEP VAPIN!

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thedevman1 View Post
    I think a couple of you called it correctly. DEHYDRATION.
    Vaping didnt cause your body to lock up, it was more than likely the inactivity for 8 hours,
    and not getting enough water.

Surfing is a lot like running, and skiing.
    When your legs burn that is a build up of lactic acid.
    lactic acid has a tendancy to build up with inactivity.
    Most likely THAT is what caused your body to "lock up".

Adrenaline on the other hand makes you imperVious to pain and exhaustion at high levels.
    All that medical stuff being said, I went through a similar episode.

I had been Vaping for a couple of months.
    I have been doing Krav Maga Self defense on and off since 2007.
    It is highly intense and we go for 90 minutes.
    I pay for the dang classes and just quit going because of my cigarette habit!
    Just could not breathe!
    Anyway I started to do the warm ups and the running and push ups and could NOT breathe.
    Yeah almost blacked out,I laaid on the floor and everything went black and I tried to catch my breath and could not.
    I think it's important for all of us who Vape to understand that nicotine is a VASO restrictor.

Vaping is BETTER for you than cigarettes but nicotine itself restricts the flow of blood because it shrinks and tightens your veins momentarily,so... restricted blood flow = exhaustion. Blood carries oxygen to our brain (duh) and then loses it's oxygen slowly after that, until it gets to the lungs and gets oxygenated. Nicotine (no matter what form) slows this process, but the longer you stay of the analogs and stay active you will feel the difference. PROMISE.
    Also nicotine can cause plaque build up in the arteries so get checked at least once a year, and watch your blood pressure.
    Ok I rambled but i hope this helps someone. KEEP VAPIN!
    Right on the money here . As my health has done nothing but improve over the last several months . Sleep better , have more wind , Less chest congestion , sleep apnea has gone away , taste buds have returned , etc . So follow some of the above advice .
    SS Sigelei Zmax V3 , an Innokin VTR , a Gus , an Nzonic V3 , a RAI Vape Launcher , and a Sentinel , Smok Magneto , a Private V2 , a Caravela , a Chi You , (2) RSST's and (1) AC9 & several RDA's

Super Member ECF Veteran Jibba73's Avatar

From my own experience... My lung capacity increased from 42% stage 3 emphysema to 72% stage 1 emphysema in just under 3 weeks of vaping after quitting analogs. Others may vary, but that is simply what has happened to me. And since I started vaping I had to cut back on my coffee intake as it also dehydrates me, so I drink a ton more water now...
    Boodle likes this.

Smoke free since 08/22/2011

Full Member* ECF Veteran tanikir's Avatar

I have found one of the biggest drawbacks to vaping for me is trying to remember to drink more. This is compounded when you consider my main drinks are coffee and alcohol lol.

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I don't have answers for you but think the above is good advice, and I would start with bringing the doc in the loop and drinking lots more water. I dehydrated pretty badly at week 2 myself. Apparently my old (tongue in cheek) adage that sweet tea and strong black Kona coffee being water intake because they were made with it, bit me on the proverbial smart butt. I hope/suspect that dehydrating, and the healing from the addiction and withdrawal from 4000 other chemicals, and likely the lactic acid build up in your muscles was all it was that knocked you down. Still think seeing your doc and explaining it all, and testing if they wish would be a good second step as you drink a lot more water.
    DONATED TO "WE ARE VAPERS" HAVE YOU?

paused smoking July 16, 2011 at 2 pm, tripped up last year

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast