Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: E-Juice is Toxic and Very Harmful?

Default E-Juice is Toxic and Very Harmful?

I was on GRBC - Canada's home of premium eliquid and electronic cigarettes earlier today and was reading about some general info about vaping, when I came across the header "What is e-Liquid and whats in it"

e-cigarette newbies guide

First it states "Consumption and exposure to propylene glycol is generally recognized as safe in humans."

Ok, thats goods, but then under "Proper Use & Handling" it goes...

E-liquid should never be used in any manner outside of e-cigarette use, its composition is toxic to humans and animals and should always be kept out of the reach of children and pets. If you ever spill e-liquid you should whipe it up immediately, its often sweet flavors invite naive animals into consuming it and even a small amount can be fatal to small animals. If you spill a large amount on yourself you should remove your clothing and thoroughly shower, the contents of a 30ml e-liquid bottle could be fatal to an adult if absorbed through the skin. Please always be responsible with your e-liquid. It is your responsibility to properly inform others about the hazards associated with it, so please do so.

Wow, generally recognized as safe eh? So toxic to humans, and maybe even fatal if a small 30ml bottle were to spill on you? But fine to breathe into our lungs?

Am I missing something here? Is the issue with the Nicotine? Or is VG & PG not really as safe as it is made out to seem?

Thoughts, comments anyone? Should we be breathing this stuff in?

Rogo

Super Member ECF Veteran mylose64's Avatar

I think it might have something to do with the e-liquid being more concentrated in liquid form and we can absorb it through our skin.

Tobacco farmers can get sick from cutting down tobacco and being in close contact with it. It's called "green tobacco sickness"(pretty much nicotine poisoning).

When we inhale it, I don't think we get as much nicotine either.

"When the game is over, the king and the pawn go in the same box."

PV Master Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

The toxicity comes from the nicotine inside not the propylene glycol.A non smoker, small animal or child who comes into contact with that can get violently ill and in some cases die.Thats what the warning is for.

I spill ejuice on my hands all the time but Im used to it......your friendly neighborhood squirrel prolly isnt.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Not to mention the yummy flavors and smell might induce children or pets to drink the whole bottle at once.

Senior Member ECF Veteran V_Joe1981's Avatar

I've had a little ejuice fly in my eye once and only once, little ejuice hit my tounge and get on my fingers and still feel 10x's better then when I was smoking.

I'm glad warnings like that are in place and to keep ppl from lathering tutti fruity on the chest before a fun night out or to drink it like a little shooter bottle you can get at the liquor store lol just my 2 cents
    Vaping on a Smok Tech Magneto and an Igo-T on top :)

"Breathe easy...the smoke has cleared"

Full Member Verified Member

I thought PG was used in Gel Capsules in pharmaceutical applications. Where the Gel dissipates in the stomach acids and the medicine is released. Considering that the Gel is PG and getting dissolved in the stomach, I can't much understand why they would insinuate that it is toxic and harmful.

ECF Moderator Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Misinformed people giving bad information is always a bad thing.

Moved from General E-Smoking Discussin to Health, Safety, and E-Smoking.

PV Master Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Once again it isnt the pg its the nicotine.The vendor also has an overactive imagination/ is just attempting to cover their buttocks in case they get sued.Unfortunately they are also inadvertently spreading misinformation in the process since the general public has the tendency to consider them expert.Maybe someone should write them a letter.
    Last edited by zapped; 05-04-2012 at 07:56 AM.

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline ECF Veteran Murdock Ruml's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes, nicotine is a poison.
    inter_ceptor00 likes this.

Senior Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Raah View Post
    I thought PG was used in Gel Capsules in pharmaceutical applications. Where the Gel dissipates in the stomach acids and the medicine is released. Considering that the Gel is PG and getting dissolved in the stomach, I can't much understand why they would insinuate that it is toxic and harmful.
    Lasagna is safe to eat but I sure wouldn't want any in my lungs.

Please people. Stop equating safe to ingest as safe to inhale.
    suziewright likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast