Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Formaldehyde in e-vapor

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    RosaJ likes this.

2. Advertisement
    ECF Veteran

Dr. Mike and those suspecting PG in the formation of formaldehyde appear to be wrong. The particular study mentioned here does not specify the specific makeup (or PG versus glycerin content) of the liquids studied.

BUT, many of the same authors are presenting a paper at the SRNT meeting in Boston this week that DOES. And from the following it is pretty clear that indeed it is glycerin, and not PG, that is associated with formaldhyde (and acrolein) being found in vapor:

SUBSTANTIAL REDUCTION IN EMISSION OF SELECTED CARBONYLS
    AND VOLATILE ORGANIC COMPOUNDS FROM ELECTRONIC CIGARETTES
    COMPARED TO TOBACCO CIGARETTES

Andrzej Sobczak, Ph.D.*1,2, Leon Kosmider1,2, Maciej L. Goniewicz, Ph.D.3,4, Jakub
    Knysak2, Marzena Zaciera, Ph.D.5, and Jolanta Kurek5, 1Institute of Occupational
    Medicine and Environmental Health, Sosnowiec, Poland; 2Medical University
    of Silesia, Katowice, Poland;3Queen Mary University of London, UK; 4Roswell
    Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, USA; 5Institute of Occupational Medicine and
    Environmental Health, Sosnowiec, Poland

Significance: Electronic cigarettes (ECs) are purported to deliver nicotine vapor
    without any toxic substances generated from tobacco combustion. However, using
    ECs involves heating a nicotine solution to high temperatures. This may induce
    chemical reactions which result in the possible formation of carbonyl compounds
    (CCs) and volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Many CCs and VOCs are common
    tobacco-specific toxicants with proven carcinogenic and cardiotoxic properties. Aim
    of the study:The aim of the study was to quantify and compare the levels of selected
    CCs (formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, acrolein, acetone, propanal, butanal) and VOCs
    (benzene, toluene, etylobenzene and ortho-, meta-, para-xylene) in EC nicotine
    refill solutions, vapors generated from ECs,and mainstream smoke from tobacco
    cigarettes. Methods: Six commercially available nicotine refill solutions for ECs
    (Chic Group Ltd. Poland) were examined. Three solutions contained a mixture of
    propylene glycol and glycerin (Volish brand) as a solvent for nicotine, while the
    other three contained only propylene glycol (Mild brand). Thirtypuffs were taken
    using an automatic smoking machine. Mainstream smoke was generated from
    a3R4F reference tobacco cigarette. CCs were extracted from vapor and smoke to
    solid phase with 2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazine, and analyzed using HPLC/DAD. VOCs
    were absorbed on activated carbon and analyzed with GC/MS. Results:Traces of
    acetaldehyde were detected in all examined EC solutions(0.081±0.042 μg/mL).
    Acetaldehyde was found in all EC vapors (0.153±0.116 μg/30 puffs), but at levels
    more than a thousand-fold lower than in tobacco smoke. Formaldehyde and acrolein
    were only found in vapors generated from glycerin-based solutions (0.116±0.022
    and0.110±0.190μg/30 puffs) and in tobacco smoke (12 and 32-fold higher levels,
    respectively).
    None of the examined VOCs were detected in the vapors, while all
    were found in tobacco smoke. Conclusions: In contrast to tobacco smoke, the
    vapors generated from ECs does not contain VOCs. Exposure to CCs from ECs is
    significantly reduced compared to tobacco smoke and may be attributable to the
    glycerin content in the nicotine refill solution.
    aikanae1 and AttyPops like this.

In case anyone's wondering WHY I still have the SD as my sig, it's because I got my first ecig in January 2008 but still smoked for 10 months, until I got my first SD. I have other APVs, but also still love and use my SD (with a Bulli on top). I will be forever grateful to Trog for saving my life!

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by yvilla View Post
    Dr. Mike and those suspecting PG in the formation of formaldehyde appear to be wrong. The particular study mentioned here does not specify the specific makeup (or PG versus glycerin content) of the liquids studied.

BUT, many of the same authors are presenting a paper at the SRNT meeting in Boston this week that DOES. And from the following it is pretty clear that indeed it is glycerin, and not PG, that is associated with formaldhyde (and acrolein) being found in vapor:

SUBSTANTIAL REDUCTION IN EMISSION OF SELECTED CARBONYLS
    AND VOLATILE ORGANIC COMPOUNDS FROM ELECTRONIC CIGARETTES
    COMPARED TO TOBACCO CIGARETTES

Andrzej Sobczak, Ph.D.*1,2, Leon Kosmider1,2, Maciej L. Goniewicz, Ph.D.3,4, Jakub
    Knysak2, Marzena Zaciera, Ph.D.5, and Jolanta Kurek5, 1Institute of Occupational
    Medicine and Environmental Health, Sosnowiec, Poland; 2Medical University
    of Silesia, Katowice, Poland;3Queen Mary University of London, UK; 4Roswell
    Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, USA; 5Institute of Occupational Medicine and
    Environmental Health, Sosnowiec, Poland

Significance: Electronic cigarettes (ECs) are purported to deliver nicotine vapor
    without any toxic substances generated from tobacco combustion. However, using
    ECs involves heating a nicotine solution to high temperatures. This may induce
    chemical reactions which result in the possible formation of carbonyl compounds
    (CCs) and volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Many CCs and VOCs are common
    tobacco-specific toxicants with proven carcinogenic and cardiotoxic properties. Aim
    of the study:The aim of the study was to quantify and compare the levels of selected
    CCs (formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, acrolein, acetone, propanal, butanal) and VOCs
    (benzene, toluene, etylobenzene and ortho-, meta-, para-xylene) in EC nicotine
    refill solutions, vapors generated from ECs,and mainstream smoke from tobacco
    cigarettes. Methods: Six commercially available nicotine refill solutions for ECs
    (Chic Group Ltd. Poland) were examined. Three solutions contained a mixture of
    propylene glycol and glycerin (Volish brand) as a solvent for nicotine, while the
    other three contained only propylene glycol (Mild brand). Thirtypuffs were taken
    using an automatic smoking machine. Mainstream smoke was generated from
    a3R4F reference tobacco cigarette. CCs were extracted from vapor and smoke to
    solid phase with 2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazine, and analyzed using HPLC/DAD. VOCs
    were absorbed on activated carbon and analyzed with GC/MS. Results:Traces of
    acetaldehyde were detected in all examined EC solutions(0.081±0.042 μg/mL).
    Acetaldehyde was found in all EC vapors (0.153±0.116 μg/30 puffs), but at levels
    more than a thousand-fold lower than in tobacco smoke. Formaldehyde and acrolein
    and0.110±0.190μg/30 puffs) and in tobacco smoke (12 and 32-fold higher levels,
    respectively).
    None of the examined VOCs were detected in the vapors, while all
    Thanks for posting this. It puts my mind at ease quite a bit. May be time to lower my vg a bit, though.

I am +4 allergic to formaldehyde (severe and instant reaction and tested for it) and have had problems with cosmetics, paneling (shopping for an RV in summer heat,) etc and have no problems with pg in vaping.
    Unhooked likes this.

Ascended to Nirvana Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

The human body produces formaldehyde. It is carbon, hydrogen and oxygen.

I would like to see the tests run on the exhalation WITHOUT the vape as it is my understanding that you will detect it.

Harpocrates Speaks: Demystifying Vaccine Ingredients - Formaldehyde

What many people may not know is that our own bodies produce and use formaldehyde as a part of our normal metabolism (Final Report on Carcinogens Background Document for Formaldehyde[PDF], 2010). When we are exposed to methanol (e.g., via inhalation or ingestion of foods like citric fruits and juices, vegetables or fermented beverages), our bodies break it down into formaldehyde and other byproducts. Our bodies produce formaldehyde as a result of DNA demethylation (animportant process for controlling gene expression, e.g., in developing embryos) and other biological processes. It is such a regular part of human metabolism, that our normal, naturally produced blood concentrations are generally about 2-3μg of formaldehyde per gram of blood (or about 2.12-3.18μg/mL)*. And it is actually a pretty important chemical; our bodies use formaldehyde to form DNA and amino acids (Toxicological Profile for Formaldehyde [PDF],

Caravela #294, REO's with RM2's: Grand, VVGs, VVWs including Tesla, Mini 2.1s, & Woodvils, Mamu DNA20 Delsy,
    ProVari/ZAP, lizardnipples, RBA's and RDA's with a few Trippy Tips on top

ECF Veteran

As with most things, it's all a question of how much of the substance is there.
    ex: I'm not worried about the amounts of dihydrogen monoxide detected in e-cig vapor for example, as I know the concentrations found are not enough to cause harm.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pmos69 View Post
    As with most things, it's all a question of how much of the substance is there.
    ex: I'm not worried about the amounts of dihydrogen monoxide detected in e-cig vapor for example, as I know the concentrations found are not enough to cause harm.
    Two things:

1. I heat then filter dihydrogen monoxide through charred beans before drinking.

2. Lots of us use a mixture of PG/VG, and rebuild our own wicks, and use different wattages, and I'm sure the cleaning regimens and wattage vary a lot between users and even between stressful times vs. relaxed times. So if we have the choice of 1/10 of the ormaldehyde found in cigarettes vs. 1/2, I'd sure like to know whether I should be cleaning more often vs. breaking-in new wicks, etc.

For example, I need a higher voltage once my coil gets pretty caked up, but I'm too lazy to change it until the flavor starts going away.

Am I making things worse for myself or saving my behind? Could be either! If we can get someone to look into this for us, I'd donate $100. Others could maybe donate $5. Maybe we could ask Dr. Collins for a research connection.
    Last edited by Berylanna; 03-15-2013 at 07:31 PM. Reason: carriage returns
    pmos69 likes this.
    “When you choose an action, you choose the consequences of that action. When you desire a consequence you had damned well better take the action that would create it.”
    Lois McMaster Bujold, Memory

ECF Veteran

Berylanna. My daughters middle name Beryl. What's yours about? Saving thread to my posts too to check back
    Done riding for awhile. ( Equine )

Da Catt Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by yvilla View Post
    and 0.110±0.190μg/30 puffs) and in tobacco smoke (12 and 32-fold higher levels,
    respectively). None of the examined VOCs were detected in the vapors, while all
    They need to go back to the lab and develop a new method for testing for acrolein, if this isn't a typo.

0.110 +/-0.190

If I had ever reported such a result to my boss when I was doing analytical work, he would have probably given me a Jethro Gibbs smack up side the head.
    AttyPops likes this.

Support CASAA, I do ... Cotton Wick Wiki ... PV Web Apps
    VAMO, Saber Touch, ACDC, Puck, L-Rider Robust, iMotion, Desktop Mod
    Yo Way Yo

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Indoor air that contains formaldehyde should be below 123 μg/m3 in order for it to be safe.... below 50 μg/m3 shows no adverse affects. A typical home contains formaldehyde levels of 20-40 μg/m3. Another example, a southern California study measured an average formaldehyde concentration of 15.3 µg/m3 while in a vehicle.

According to what was posted here in this study, looking at the Supplementary table, they found 0.06 μg/m3 in this study just barely above the limit of detection which was 0.01 μg/m3...

So vape on
    Last edited by tenshi; 04-08-2013 at 01:36 PM.
    Science is science, forget the politics. Vaping saves lives.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast