Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: COPD, The E-Cig and Me

Quote Originally Posted by imawitch View Post
    I was diagnosed with copd about 6 years ago..

Ive been a 32 year smoker..

my doc had me try the patch to quit, that didnt work for me..
    then he had me try nicotine gum, which didnt work for me..

the last option was to try chantix, big mistake, it nearly killed me..

i tried ecig on dec 2nd of this year..

the best thing that ever happend to me..

my pulm doc is excited for me, and u know why?

ive been able to stop taking symbicort..

ive been able to stop taking spiriva

i am avoiding oxygen therapy

all in this short time since smoking a ecig

the only thing im using now, is my quick inhaler from time to time..

i will never recover from the copd, and yes it will worsen over the years..

however, i can slow the progress by not smoking analog cigs..

i have a new lease on life and im so happy and grateful for my ecig..

my lung doc is proud of me, my family is proud of me and i am happy with me..

ill chant good thoughts that things go good for you..

eta, i can climb the stairs now with out huffing and puffing and gasping for my breath..

its a miracle! mo
    Now that's encouraging!

I am on the same meds plus singulair and to tell you the truth I had gone off them before I had my "attack" because I don't have insurance and it is $600 a month worth of drugs. I am on them now and I don't think I will quit this time until my Dr says I can. Thankfully, the Dr has been giving me some samples to cut down on the expense. I just went to see him yesterday and I was scared to tell him about the e-cig, especially with the little rattle in my upper airway

I had a bad experience with chantix as well. To discribe it as "constant rage" might be mild. It made the cranky old woman I am without smoking look like Mary Poppins.

I have come back a long ways. In the hospital they didn't want me walking around. When I went to fill my RX's I had to ride a wheelchair in Walmart, I was so exhausted by the time I got to the door. Now I can walk all over Walmart and then Lowe's and then have to quit shopping because I wore dear hubby out.

I feel better than I have in many years and I am scared to lose it.

I am so glad you are doing so well. That gives me hope. Really.

Thanks for the chants and well wishes, too.

Default I have COPD and just started the E Cigs on 12/23

They have been great!.. I am also an esophageal cancer survivor(4 years) and I feel like such a weight has been lifted from my shoulders!.. The only success I ever had with nicotine replacement therapy was from Nicotrol Inhalers, but they are expensive and don't give you a very big throat hit. These e-cigs area life saver to me...

Super Member ECF Veteran imawitch's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dleerl View Post
    I've been reading the forums for awhile to get prepared for the switch and to help me today as I make the switch. What a change. I do notice that many of the people that post here have these squares at the bottom of their posts that say how long they are smoke free, how much they have saved and how many cigarettes they have avoided. Where do they get those?

right here...click on the link

SmokeFree Quitmeter

SmokeFree Quitmeter

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLuLu View Post
    Now that's encouraging!

I am on the same meds plus singulair and to tell you the truth I had gone off them before I had my "attack" because I don't have insurance and it is $600 a month worth of drugs. I am on them now and I don't think I will quit this time until my Dr says I can. Thankfully, the Dr has been giving me some samples to cut down on the expense. I just went to see him yesterday and I was scared to tell him about the e-cig, especially with the little rattle in my upper airway

I had a bad experience with chantix as well. To discribe it as "constant rage" might be mild. It made the cranky old woman I am without smoking look like Mary Poppins.

I have come back a long ways. In the hospital they didn't want me walking around. When I went to fill my RX's I had to ride a wheelchair in Walmart, I was so exhausted by the time I got to the door. Now I can walk all over Walmart and then Lowe's and then have to quit shopping because I wore dear hubby out.

I feel better than I have in many years and I am scared to lose it.

I am so glad you are doing so well. That gives me hope. Really.

Thanks for the chants and well wishes, too.

yes, the meds are expensive, even with insurance, jmo

my doc is careful to watch me now that im off most of my medications..hes got a eagle on me eh? i had to beg him to let me try living with out the meds and he caved in lol

im so happy to hear u have the freedom to walk about the stores, its a wonderful feeling isnt it?

i no longer use my handicap sticker to park in handicap places, i fancy walking a distance now that i can breath better..

however, there might be days when i feel the need to park in handicap, but for now, im thrilled to walk with out gasping for air..

the chantix? same for me, major rage..mean..depressive thoughts, bad dreams, etc..

im now of the mind to take 1 day at a time..thats my motto..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JD-Bama View Post
    They have been great!.. I am also an esophageal cancer survivor(4 years) and I feel like such a weight has been lifted from my shoulders!.. The only success I ever had with nicotine replacement therapy was from Nicotrol Inhalers, but they are expensive and don't give you a very big throat hit. These e-cigs area life saver to me...

congrats on u being a cancer survivor..

eta, my dad has bone marrow cancer, last stages now, we take it day by day..

I converted him to ecigs when i started, and hes luving it!

Quote Originally Posted by Raven1 View Post
    I was diagnosed with it after taking a lung function test - my doctor insisted on one since I smoke and my father died from COPD as well. The doctor told me ALL smokers have some degree of COPD. Some more than others - it depends how much you smoke and for how long. (Actually, NO ONE has 100% lung function, not even non-smokers. Mine is 50%, most are about 75%.) Stopping smoking can improve lung function, but may or may not improve the damage you have already done to your respiratory system. (I hope mine does.)

I can't comment on e-cigs yet - have only been using them for about a month and am down to 4 to 5 analogues a day; still trying to reduce those in hopes of cutting them out altogether. Haven't really noticed much in the way of breathing improvement, though I seem to be coughing a bit less; still have some chest pain/shortness of breath though at times. There is some irritation such as you say, from the liquid, i.e. sore throat, phlegm, and I may try VG as well to see if that makes a difference. When I get off analogues completely (cross my fingers!), I then plan to gradually reduce the nicotine level in the liquid in hopes of breaking the addiction to it.

I don't know if you've had anxiety/depression issues, but that is definitely a contributing factor for myself and many smokers - cigarettes are a "coping" self-medication for us. Anti-depressants have helped me only so much.

Thank you for sharing your story and I wish you the best in your decision to give the PV a try!
    Well, we can do this journey together I sure hope you continue to improve and notice more progress as time goes on. After feeling guilty for over a week, I think I just realized how thankful I can be that I have those 6 wks of lozenges only under my belt. I have a much improved starting point on which to judge the effects of e-cigs. Also, like I said in my first post - when the 901 arrived right before I got ill, every single hit on it choked me. If I wasn't smoke free for awhile I probablly wouldn't be able to tolerate the e-cig.

So true about the depression and anxiety. My emotions and coping problems would be the main reason for all my failures. When I get so irritable that I can't even stand me, myself, I just give up and smoke - knowing I will immediately have a sense of well-being no patch, or gum, or lozenge ever provided. This time I decided to try and circumvent that problem by asking my Dr for a happy pill. I told him I wanted there to be survivors and people who still like me on the other side of this. He gave them to me, but they didn't actually help my personality at all that I could tell. Since then we joke that the happy pills are for my victims. "I'm so sorry, did I piss you off? Here, have one of these!"

I can't tell you and everyone else who has responded what a relief it is to read others feeling and thinking and experiencing the same things I have.

LLL

Super Member ECF Veteran

I was diagnosed with COPD 2 years ago. I had been smoking 1 - 1 1/2 packs a day for 38 years, I had quit smoking a month or two prior to the test using Chantix, that lasted for 1 1/2 years although I always had strong cravings. I then became quite depressed and started smoking again because I just didn't care. I had a severe cough prior to quitting which went away after I quit. After I started again, at about 2-3 months the cough returned big time again, I was smoking about 1/2 pack a day. I then tried quitting again with the help of nicotine gum, I cut down to 2 or 3 cigarettes a day and chewed the gum, but the gum always upset my stomach, but I continued. I then saw an add for Smoke51 and gave it a try, I liked them but they were so expensive. I then discovered this forum and ordered a 510 and that literally changed my life. I have been completely analog free now for about 3 1/2 months, the cough has almost completely gone away, I only cough now when I get phlegm in my throat which happens when I vape PG liquid, but am very happy with the pv. I frequently forget to use my maintenance inhaler and am not sure I really need it now. I still get out of breath easily with heavy exersion, but I feel much better and the depression is under control. I still take antidepressants as I have most of my life.

Hope you have good things happen with your pv, I'm sure you'll feel much better.

Quote Originally Posted by JD-Bama View Post
    Yeah, forgot about those - I tried that when I lived in Canada and they were over the counter. More fail, more doom!!

So glad you are hanging in and cancer free! This is just me being nosey, but did you go from analog to e-cig or from NRT to e-cig?

Super Member ECF Veteran

Well, we can do this journey together I sure hope you continue to improve and notice more progress as time goes on. After feeling guilty for over a week, I think I just realized how thankful I can be that I have those 6 wks of lozenges only under my belt. I have a much improved starting point on which to judge the effects of e-cigs. Also, like I said in my first post - when the 901 arrived right before I got ill, every single hit on it choked me. If I wasn't smoke free for awhile I probablly wouldn't be able to tolerate the e-cig.

So true about the depression and anxiety. My emotions and coping problems would be the main reason for all my failures. When I get so irritable that I can't even stand me, myself, I just give up and smoke - knowing I will immediately have a sense of well-being no patch, or gum, or lozenge ever provided. This time I decided to try and circumvent that problem by asking my Dr for a happy pill. I told him I wanted there to be survivors and people who still like me on the other side of this. He gave them to me, but they didn't actually help my personality at all that I could tell. Since then we joke that the happy pills are for my victims. "I'm so sorry, did I piss you off? Here, have one of these!"

I can't tell you and everyone else who has responded what a relief it is to read others feeling and thinking and experiencing the same things I have.

LLL
    Thanks for the vote of confidence LuLu! I hope you'll continue to report on your progress here and that your symptoms improve as well.

Yeah, forgot about those - I tried that when I lived in Canada and they were over the counter. More fail, more doom!!

So glad you are hanging in and cancer free! This is just me being nosey, but did you go from analog to e-cig or from NRT to e-cig?
    I had an esophagectomy 3 1/2 years ago. Apparently the surgery is very tough on the lungs. I was diagnosed with a 60% function and surgeon at the Cleveland Clinic told me to either quit or "go back home to Alabama" He gave me a month to "get in shape" for surgery
    So I quit using the inhalers..I stayed quit using the inhalers during my chemo and radiaton time, but started back up to analogs when I felt better(Yes it is insane)
    Here lately I feel bad about going to the doctor and telling him I still smoke..Some understand, some don't..I feel I have been given such a gift, I can't waste it..last week I got turned on to e-cigs froma guy selling Smoking Everywhere at the mall..Yes I know now I was ripped, but at least I know about them. I ordered a 510 kit from Cignot and should be getting them today...

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast