Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: PG Allergies?

Moved On

Default PG Allergies?

Not sure if the allergic reaction was from the cherry (cash e-liquid) or just the length of time it took for the PG to build up in my system. I get choked up and get hives from the PG vapors from the smoke machines they use at clubs so I had a feeling I may be allergic.

To others who had allergic reaction.. how long after starting e-cigs did u get it? What happened to you? What flavor were you using?

My reaction was...

Hives on upper body (mostly arms and waist... I remember someone else had it on the waist)

Sensitive teeth (to an EXTREME). Could not open my motuh outside because the AIR hurt my teeth!

Sore gums and roof of mouth (so bad I had an icepack on my face cause I couldn't put anything cold in my mouth cause my teeth were so sensitive!!!)

Mild difficulty breathing

Sporadic neck and back pains coming in sharp waves with movement.

Full Member ECF Veteran

Hi Spikey,

I don't know much on the allergy side (other than that some people are allergic), but there are also non-propylene glycol[=non-PG] eliquids available. Johnson Creek makes a glycerin-based liquid, and I think this (or homebrews) are what people here have used if they are sensitive to PG.

Moved On

Default PG

Quote Originally Posted by nakli_dhumrapan View Post
    Hi Spikey,

I don't know much on the allergy side (other than that some people are allergic), but there are also non-propylene glycol[=non-PG] eliquids available. Johnson Creek makes a glycerin-based liquid, and I think this (or homebrews) are what people here have used if they are sensitive to PG.
    Thanks for the suggestion... I am using the JC NON PG formula now. It helps the allergies, but sucks for flavor and taste. Their flavors are not strong enough for me.

Moved On

Maybe have a think about making your own eliquid Spikey, then you can assess how each ingredient affects you.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...-recepies.html

Full Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion... I am using the JC NON PG formula now. It helps the allergies, but sucks for flavor and taste. Their flavors are not strong enough for me.
    What flavours have you tried?

I like the Tennessee Cured, Original Tobacco, and Vanilla Ice Cream; Strawberry and Peach aren't bad either.

The other thing - somewhere here, there's a thread about adding 'Tobacco Spray-on flavours' to eliquids, to enhance the flavour.... here it is:
    Tobacco Flavorings and Enhancers?

Full Member ECF Veteran

Spikey I'm not sure you are having a problem or allergy to PG.

This is why:

When I started vaping I immediately went to JC for the liquid because they are made in the US and I trusted them more. I ordered the PG sampler and had no bad reactions. Then I ordered the VG (because it is natural and not synthetic). I had no problem with the VG either. Unfortunately, with JC liquid, if I didn't clean my atty every hour or so, I'd end up with a fried atty.

I then thought, let me try the China stuff. Nobody seems to have died from it yet. I ordered a bottle of 36mg from TW. (Extremely fast shipping btw) As soon as I took a few puffs, I got dizzy, (prob from nicotine) and immediately got hives on my arm. I was itchcy all over and started having breathing problems. (I have asthma that is triggered by allergies) I have been vaping the TW liquid for a 2 weeks now and my reactions have lessened quite a bit over that time. I don't get dizzy or get hives anymore, but still do get itchy and occasionally need an inhaler (once a day or so).

My opinion is that there is something in the Chinese liquid that we are either allergic to, or is somewhat toxic. Any thoughts on this? Has anyone else experienced any of this?

Spikey, to test my theory you could buy a small bottle of PG from JC. I can't send you mine because I sent it back.

Senior Member ECF Veteran

I had a pretty nasty itchy lung feeling when I was vaping Njoy tradisional flavor... But only when I lay down. This has gone away since I started vaping other things, but I've also reduced my smoking to one cig every thrid day or so, (Which is more my thinking "I want a real cig" then an actual craving... I just keep expecting the real cig to be different, but it isn't, so I put it out.)

So it might have been the tar comeing out or something. Hard to know...

Someone posted the arrlegic reaction guide in the topic "Burning in Throat" you might look there.

I had a low-grade headache from cartridges, and felt like I had a cold. Stuffed head, scratchy throat, got a little wheezy.

Got some VG juice and started alternating between a kissbox and an 801 penstyle and all the problems went away, so I have to conclude it was the PG in the cartridges. When I go back to the other e-cig and use the old carts the symptoms come back within a short time.

I know there was PG in regular cigs, but I wonder if most of it evaporated? I did have a stopped up head every morning first thing when I smoked, but I don't recall it being as bad, and it didn't last all day.
    Last edited by bigeyes; 05-26-2009 at 10:28 PM. Reason: fingers went dyslexic

Super Member ECF Veteran

Hi Spikey,
    It really is so hard to tell what it may be from especially since we don't know what all the ingredients are...but I can tell you after using PG for a week my skin got itchy like there were bugs crawling all over me along with wheezing..

I've been using PEG for 4 days now from Nuvape and don't have those symptoms yet so Im hopeful..

ooh, yeah, I did kind of have a bit of itchy skin, too, now that you mention it.

I was blaming that on another allergy, but I wonder if it was the PG?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast