Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: CVS glycerin

Senior Member ECF Veteran

Default CVS glycerin

stop by at CVS last night and bought CVS pure glycerin(6 oz. for $5) before heading to my sister's house. did a 50/50 mix of 11mg coffee. at first it was awesome, good amount of vapor. vaping and driving at the same time and after 10-15 minutes, i started to get sick. like im about to throw up. i went back to the regular chinese juice and i was feeling fine when i was at my sister's house, one of her neighbor came up to me and started asking about my homemade 5v box. told her all about and showed her my juices. she saw my CVS glycerin and said "dont tell me you're vaping this?" and i said "yeah but it started to make me sick" and she just bust out laughing her butt off.... basically she said no wonder you're about to puke, you're inhaling skincare product she's a vegan and she uses vegetable glycerin for baking all the time. told me to buy food grade vegetable glycerin, not skincare product. im gonna stop by at wholefoods tomorrow and get some food grade vegetable glycerin.....
    Last edited by ddy611; 03-22-2010 at 07:49 AM.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran AlexTM's Avatar

Don't get food grade, either, get USP, it's the cleanest out there. It won't say "vegetable" then, though, USP guidelines, read the sticky right above this thread. It probably will be vegetable, though.

And the question is not, is this particular Glycerin sold as food stuff or skincare stuff. Question is, how pure is it. The less byproducts, the better, and then you can use that for food or for skin care or for vaping.
    KumariHPX likes this.

Vote in the polls, vapers, we need numbers!

Super Member ECF Veteran

Try Wiltons glycerin. You can find it at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, and some Wal-marts. Its by the cake decor stuff.

If it says USP United States Pharmacopeia The United States Pharmacopeial Convention then it doesnt matter where you get it

I got my pg at a farm and tractor supply store and they use it for Ketosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But its the same stuff that you get in your juice as long as they use USP

I know a pharmacist and he said the standsrds for USP are strict.

But be careful there are only a couple ways they can be certified with the proper label. check usp to see if your product is labeled correctly and is truely "ENDORSED"

Ultra Member* ECF Veteran Rocketman's Avatar

Here is my opinion, which I am sure is in direct opposition to the views of the big shots running this forum.

1) VG and PG have in the past been contaminated (court cases failed to prove intentional wrong doing) and has caused grave harm to people.
    2) Contaminated VG and PG have been found (and I'm not talking about the stupid FDA test) in products such as counterfeit toothpaste, and mouthwashes, and removed form the market.
    3) VG and PG are manufactured in tanker truck sized lots, subdivided, and subdivided and repackaged, and etc.
    4) Glycerin CAN BE purely from a vegetable source, animal fat source, and produced synthetically, with ALL the molecules being EXACTLY the same (per the chemistacal experts). Remember that, EXACTLY the same.
    5) USP grade is a % requirement with the remainder unknown stuff.
    6) Food grade (FCC Food Grade) can only come from USP grade.
    7) A manufacturer can state that their Glycerin generally comes from vegetable sources (unless there is a supply issue, then they can substitute synthetic Glycerin, at their discretion). Remember it is EXACTLY the same.
    8) If a company that deals with tanker truck size lots would like to save some bucks, would they be more likely to substitute Industrial Grade stuff into a shipment of :
    A-Glycerin to be used to rub on cow butts?
    B-Glycerin to be used to rub on baby butts?
    C-Or Glycerin to be used to make candy and cake icing?
    Which has the best chance of going unnoticed?
    What, that can't do that, that would be illegal.
    What you mean is, they shouldn't do that, again please.

I have tried Glycerin, from a manufacturer that stated "most likely all their Glycerin was from vegetable sources" and got sick to my stomach.
    I am terribly sorry, but I won't even go to the feed store and try USP Cow Butt Glycerin, even though it is EXACTLY the same. Sorry, the risk of a contaminated lot not intended for consumption, may not get recalled for something that would make it unfit for consumption. Even if it is EXACTLY the same this time, what about next time?

USP, fine, FCC food grade, that's me, Kosher (certified by a reputable and actively monitored organization, not one of those pencil whipping organizations) Certified Vegetable Glycerin is ALL I USE, PERIOD.

Sorry is this upsets anyone that feels differently, but $7 or $8 a pint is not too much for just a little comfort.

For you other folks the upset stomach will pass, don't sweat it because, remember it's
    EXACTLY the same.

The Rocketman
    Last edited by Rocketman; 03-22-2010 at 11:25 AM.

Thats a very very valid point.

I have a friend who can test the stuff for me so i am gonna get juice from an ecig retailer and test it aginst the farm supply and see that happens.

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran Switched's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Here is my opinion, which I am sure is in direct opposition to the views of the big shots running this forum.

1) VG and PG have in the past been contaminated (court cases failed to prove intentional wrong doing) and has caused grave harm to people.
    2) Contaminated VG and PG have been found (and I'm not talking about the stupid FDA test) in products such as counterfeit toothpaste, and mouthwashes, and removed form the market.
    3) VG and PG are manufactured in tanker truck sized lots, subdivided, and subdivided and repackaged, and etc.
    4) Glycerin CAN BE purely from a vegetable source, animal fat source, and produced synthetically, with ALL the molecules being EXACTLY the same (per the chemistacal experts). Remember that, EXACTLY the same.
    5) USP grade is a % requirement with the remainder unknown stuff.
    6) Food grade (FCC Food Grade) can only come from USP grade.
    7) A manufacturer can state that their Glycerin generally comes from vegetable sources (unless there is a supply issue, then they can substitute synthetic Glycerin, at their discretion). Remember it is EXACTLY the same.
    8) If a company that deals with tanker truck size lots would like to save some bucks, would they be more likely to substitute Industrial Grade stuff into a shipment of :
    A-Glycerin to be used to rub on cow butts?
    B-Glycerin to be used to rub on baby butts?
    C-Or Glycerin to be used to make candy and cake icing?
    Which has the best chance of going unnoticed?
    What, that can't do that, that would be illegal.
    What you mean is, they shouldn't do that, again please.

I have tried Glycerin, from a manufacturer that stated "most likely all their Glycerin was from vegetable sources" and got sick to my stomach.
    I am terribly sorry, but I won't even go to the feed store and try USP Cow Butt Glycerin, even though it is EXACTLY the same. Sorry, the risk of a contaminated lot not intended for consumption, may not get recalled for something that would make it unfit for consumption. Even if it is EXACTLY the same this time, what about next time?

USP, fine, FCC food grade, that's me, Kosher (certified by a reputable and actively monitored organization, not one of those pencil whipping organizations) Certified Vegetable Glycerin is ALL I USE, PERIOD.

Sorry is this upsets anyone that feels differently, but $7 or $8 a pint is not too much for just a little comfort.

For you other folks the upset stomach will pass, don't sweat it because, remember it's
    EXACTLY the same.

The Rocketman
    What amazes me the most is the frugality I see sometimes, where folks are trying to find the cheapest (but safest product) but never batted an eye or gave a second thought what they were spending on analogs, or when taxes on them increased.

This thread was edited beyond recognition. Why I don't know because the information that it contained was very much along the aforementioned concerns, and an important safety issue IMHO.

This in no way is meant to be an attack against the OP, but should at least cause concern for others. All was well until juice was made with these products. The product was delivered with MSDS sheets, when was the last time folks received their PG/VG with MSDS sheets. I sure don't receive any when I buy it from the local drug store etc...

The product in question came from here, if one looks closely at the other product that is being sold there, it would definitely not be on my top 5 sites.

Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Rocketman, nobody is going to get upset with you not wanting to vape Glycerin meant for external use on animals or humans, or derived from animals. Still, even Kosher grade is only 99.7% pure at most as far as I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Switched View Post
    This thread was edited beyond recognition. Why I don't know because the information that it contained was very much along the aforementioned concerns, and an important safety issue IMHO.
    The posts deleted were off topic discussion of another post in another part of the forum.

this is the product that i was using Buy CVS Pure Glycerin USP online at CVS.com im gonna try wilton's glycerin. thanks for the advice guys.

anybody tired nature's answer pure vegetable glycerin?? it says "safe for internal use." vitaminshoppe carries them.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast