Depression, Bipolar and E-Cigs
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Depression, Bipolar and E-Cigs

Default Depression, Bipolar and E-Cigs

So, I've been suffering a worsening depression since I went on e-cigs. I was in a depression prior to quitting smoking and going on e-cigs, so it's a worsening rather than a new depression.

I'm curious about other's experiences with this, especially with regard to the sudden withdrawal from the MAOIs received from tobacco. How long did it last, how bad did it get, if you're on medication for bipolar/schizophrenia/depression did these need a change after quitting smoking? Etc.

I'm not sure nesf,,,,I've switched to vaping during a good point in my 'cycle' BUT it was still a couple of months before I was 'sorted'!!!

Stick in there - It is worth it

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    I'm not sure nesf,,,,I've switched to vaping during a good point in my 'cycle' BUT it was still a couple of months before I was 'sorted'!!!

Stick in there - It is worth it
    Yeah I figure it worth it, to finally get off the cigarettes.

Not sure how my psychiatrist will react, he was already struggling to bring me out of the depression I was already in before I added fuel to the fire! Regardless, my wife is happy with the change, so there's plenty of positive stuff too.

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

My understanding (per the 50 gazillion drug reps I've talked to) is that smoking makes you more resistant to the medications. Therefore, you need higher doses than non-smokers.

Senior Member ECF Veteran

Default nesf stonewall spitless tobacco helps me

stonewall spitless tobacco helps me

i use Tropical Bob as my guru and his theory as to why ecigs might be depressing ( a lack of supporting alkaloids )

James

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Zelphie's Avatar

Definitely let your doctor know what you are doing because there is some concern that pg may make depression worse, or cause an interaction with psychiatric meds. Not all agree with this, as noone knows for sure but better to be safe.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Or you could try Swedish Snus. Many of us have felt something was missing when we used ecigs alone. Swedish Snus helps with the 'missing' alkoloids.

CASAA Activist Vaping Advocate
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

I've never heard of PG triggering depression. A more logical explanation for the problem is that the amount of nicotine you are taking in is greatly reduced now. Health New Zealand found that each puff of vapor from 16 mg. liquid contains only 1/10 the amount of nicotine as an average puff of smoke.

When I first switched I was on the edge for a while with both depression and anxiety. I had to increase my nicotine strength to 24 mg. to get comfortable. I feel it is safer for me to increase my nicotine intake than to risk triggering seizures from upping the dose of bupropion I take (300 mg. / day) and I prefer not to add an anti-anxiety drug into the mix.

NOTE: I also use nicotine gum -- about the same amount that I was using when I had worked my way down to 10 tobacco cigs per day.

----
    Support CASAA -http://www.casaa.org/Donate_LKWE.html ---

Nah wasn't saying that PG triggered the depression but the switch to e-cigs and the resulting quitting of smoking had triggered the depression. All being more complicated by me being trialled on a new antidepressant at the moment.

I'm hoping the Lexapro will make up for the lack of MAOIs from the tobacco.

Quote Originally Posted by W Axl Rose View Post
    Or you could try Swedish Snus. Many of us have felt something was missing when we used ecigs alone. Swedish Snus helps with the 'missing' alkoloids.
    Yeah, I bought some snus but am using it sparingly. I don't want to replace one addiction to tobacco with a different addiction to a different form of tobacco if possible (especially since snus is illegal to sell in Ireland so I have to order it from overseas).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast