Vaping's effect on teeth/gums - redux! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Vaping's effect on teeth/gums - redux!

Super Member ECF Veteran

1.5 years of vaping here, and my dentist has been thrilled with the condition of my gums and teeth.

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

Super Member ECF Veteran glowgirl's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have been vaping for 9 months now and had a dental check up last month, with excellent gum health and no cavities! Of course I brush twice a day and drink a lot of water. So far so good. I do vape only VG now though as PG did make my mouth dry.

Thanks to everyone posting on this subject. I have been really paranoid about dental issues and vaping, funny how I didn't worry about it when I was smoking.
    I have spent a fortune on my pearly whites and would appreciate it if they stayed in good condition.
    My concern arose when I started having gum issues, like swollen gums with bleeding since vaping. I have never had this problem before and wont see my dentist for a couple of months, unless the swelling continues This discussion has deminished my fear of vaping and dental issues greatly.

Senior Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ACM View Post
    The more info we can publish on vaping and dental health the better. I have been worried about the ingredients in e-juice possibly containing substances that promote tooth decay, but have yet to read anything substantial on the issue. One thread mentioned the possible use of sugar in e-juice (to account for the sweet taste of some juices), but sweetness is a characteristic of PG, and I can't find any reference to sugar in any of the juices I've used from places like JC and Vermont Vapor. But could some of the other additives for flavoring potentially cause tooth decay?

To be safe, I never vape after I brush my teeth before bed. But I sort of suspect I am being overly cautious.

Certainly, since I stopped smoking altogether, I have seen a real improvement in how white my teeth are now, and that's a good thing!
    I can help you with this query! The sweet taste in juices is attributed to three qualities, PG and VG all have a sweet taste to them. They do have a sweetening affect, however the super sweet juices use only artificial sweeteners like Xylitol or Stevia or Splenda derivatives. I do not know if the sugar content of glycerine causes tooth decay, but I am sure you could probably look that up on the internet. The other artificial sweeteners added, certainly do not cause tooth decay.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I've been doing lots of studying on the subject lately. Smoking changes the pH of your mouth which creates huge problems. Quitting smoking changes it again, which can cause some mouth issues when you quit. I'm researching the effects of vaping on the pH of the mouth as well.

If you have sore gums when quitting smoking, a baking soda toothpaste or mouth rinse or even rinsing with a bit of baking soda and water can clear it up rather quickly.
    FL Lori likes this.

Super Member ECF Veteran Phreaker's Avatar

Since this was bumped I'd like to add my experience:

After about a week of vaping my teeth ached a bit. Not a tooth ache, but if you've bleached your teeth and are sensitive to it, you'll know what I am referring to. I rarely bleach them now as it really bothers my teeth. The ache I was feeling was mainly on the inside of my front/bottom teeth.

I searched the web and only found one post on another forum from a new vaper that was having the same issue. She said she had switched to Colgate Total and wondered if it might be the cause. I've been using that toothpaste for years! In a later post she said she went back to her old toothpaste and it went away. So, I bought some Sensodyne and I've been using it for a week. My teeth no longer ache. I have a dentist appointment next month and I'll mention it to her. She's been on me to quit, typical Dr. She even prescribed me Chantix, which I tried (that's a whole other story).

What's strange is if you read up on teeth bleaching sensitivity it says it's the glycerin in the tooth bleaching gel that bothers some people even though it's harmless.

Senior Member ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I myself dont have this issue,,but my housemate who tried vaping said it made her gums peel.

I've been vaping for 4 to 6 months and im having problems with my gums swelling making my teeth ache don't know if vaping is the cause or bad batch of juice it only recently started since I moved to 6 volt vaping im gonna switch things up and see what happens
    Last edited by Turtleinfl; 09-02-2011 at 11:50 PM.

Dental Health and vaping The #1 cause of implant failure is Nicotine . Nicotine causes a reduction in oxygen flow to the bone. It does not matter if the nicotine is supplied by inhaling nicotine , smoking tobacco, chewing on tobacco, or chewing gum. The dental implants require oxygen to bond to the bone. When the bone is unable to bond to the implant due to lack of oxygen, discomfort usually results and the implants must be removed.

Studies have shown that even nicotine by itself may do harm to the mouth, gums and tongue. A report published in the Journal of the Indian Society of Periodontology has stated that nicotine may contribute significantly to the development of gingivitis and periodontitis, two gum diseases that can cause breath to smell foul.

Likewise, nicotine may increase the risk of tooth loss and dental decay, which also lead to bad breath. The study suggests that nicotine causes these conditions because it is a vasoconstrictor, meaning it reduces blood flow to tissues in your mouth.

Without proper blood flow in the gums, white blood cells cannot properly fight off bacterial infections and red blood cells bring less oxygen to replenish the gum cells themselves.

Not only can these gum conditions leave your breath smelling less than fresh, but the microorganisms that cause them may have a hand in halitosis, too. The mouth is filled with over 600 varieties of bacteria, according to a 2003 issue of the Journal of Clinical Microbiology. Many of these tend to flourish in a drier environment, and are called anaerobic bacteria.

When the mouth is dry, these germs can feed on dead cells and food particles emit volatile sulfur compounds (VSC), which can be very smelly. One of the most common VSCs, hydrogen sulfide, smells like rotten eggs.

As a vasoconstrictor, nicotine may contribute to dry mouth by reducing blood flow to the salivary glands. Without saliva, which naturally eliminates some oral bacteria, halitosis can quickly become a problem.

Nicotine and periodontal tissues

Super Member ECF Veteran

This month marks one year for me smoke free and I just had a dentist appointment last week. My mouth is in great shape. I had gingivitis before when I smoked and no matter how much I brushed, flossed, rinsed with listerine, it never went away. It is completely gone today and my dentist was very happy with the way my gums have improved. My teeth are much whiter today, as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12