Can heavy vaping cause pneumonia?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can heavy vaping cause pneumonia?

Full Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Blog Entries

Default Can heavy vaping cause pneumonia?

OK- so this is for my sister- she has recently started vaping. She has had a couple people tell her that heavy vaping can cause pneumonia- and they are VERY adamant about it- probably the kind you just don't argue with... Anyways- has anybody ever heard of this or have it happen to themselves or someone they know? I think it is BS myself, but to ease her mind (since she hasn't asked this question on here yet) I thought I would do it. It would be great for her to have some info to debate the subject when she runs into these people again or others in the future. I did search pneumonia in the search feature but didn't come up with any threads (or maybe I'm just to lazy to read through all the threads that might mention this word). So anyways- some opinions would be great or any links to the subject of vaping and pneumonia. Going to Google it too

ECF Veteran

Blog Entries

I did find a thread on it!
    http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...pneumonia.html

anyways it would still be interesting to hear more thoughts since this thread dates back to 2009 i believe...

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I'm heavy vaporer and I can tell you that what your Sis has been told is BS. Infact, I haven't been sick since I've quit smoking. Usually, I would have had at least 3 colds by now. I read somewhere that PG actually has an anti-bacterial effect on us. I don't know how true it is but like I said, I haven't been sick yet.

Propylene glycol is quickly metabolised and excreted. Its metabolic pathway is comparable to that of sugar: propylene glycol is rapidly converted into lactic acid, just like what happens with the sugar (energy) in the muscles when being exercised during sports. The lactic acid is then excreted via the urine. This would explain why some people have cramping muscles. However, the more water that you consume, the better. VG is absorbed and passes out the same via urine. I don't see how either would cause pneumonia. Pneumonia is caused from a primary infection, not from inhaling vapor.
    MOD HOARDER

Senior Member ECF Veteran Valhalla1's Avatar

I don't believe it causes pneumonia, but I'm no doctor. I can tell you I've been vaping daily for over a year, and I might have gotten sick once last winter, briefly, but I don't think it had anything to do with vaping. However I got over it quickly and it wasn't as bad as when I would get sick while still a smoker.

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

Knock on wood

I haven't been sick (by a bug) since I started vaping ...nothing like what I usually get..... Kids, low immune system, I normally would have had a couple of doozies.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

5vz
    Super Member ECF Veteran

Here is list of causes from the Mayo Clinic:

Pneumonia: Causes - MayoClinic.com

Hope it helps, and really hope your sister gets better.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I've had a few people tell me that also. When I asked for factual data to back it up.....well the conversation stopped. I don't now where it started but there are people out there that take it for gospel without looking any further. Probably was printed somewhere by an organization that stands to loose money.

ECF Veteran

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 5vz View Post
    Here is list of causes from the Mayo Clinic:

Pneumonia: Causes - MayoClinic.com

Hope it helps, and really hope your sister gets better.
    Thanks 5vz- she isn't sick- just had some people tell her it causes pneumonia so she was concerned. Thankyou tho for your concern if she was sick

Thankyou all for your comments- I too thought it was BS... I will direct her to this thread when I talk to her next. I will tell her to ask those people about factual data- that always seems to shut the ignorant up! LMAO!

PV Master ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

These people sound like ignorant, alarmist drama queens. The odds of getting pneumonia from vaping are about the same as getting AIDS from touching a door knob or sitting on a toilet seat...zero.

Assclown Exterminator Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Moving to health forum.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast