Bad teeth, cavities, and vaping.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Bad teeth, cavities, and vaping.

Question Bad teeth, cavities, and vaping.

Ok so I'm one month in so far. This last week I've had one of the absolute WORST toothaches ever. Usually what sets off my teeth is sugar. I'm aware that in vaping PG and VG, that one of the products is glucose. I have a feeling this combined with the increased sucking action on the PV has really done a number on one of my teeth. Perhaps just enough glucose is getting in or on my teeth. I'll be heading to the dentist in a couple of days to see what's going on hopefully. I really don't want to stop vaping.

Anyone else had this happen? I've taken to really rinsing my mouth out after vaping, but it's hardly convenient to carry a bottle of biotene with me wherever I go. haha
    Last edited by OptimusJD; 02-14-2011 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OptimusJD View Post
    Usually what sets off my teeth is sugar. I'm aware that in vaping PG and VG, that one of the products is glucose.
    Actually, the sweetener used is typically sucralose (Splenda is sucralose), not glucose. Sucralose does not contribute to tooth decay.
    Vampirecat019 likes this.

PV Master ECF Veteran

I have hyper sensitive teeth, but I had them before I started vaping. If I eat candy or chocolate with artificial flavors/colors a few places on my back molars will get a shooting pain like a cavity. The dentist can never find anything, so it's either an early cavity, tiny crack, or worn off enamel. This can also happen if you have receding gums or an air pocket below the gum line.

I know it is not natural sugar causing the sensitive nerves, but something in artificial chocolate in particular. Belgian, Swiss, English, French and natural chocolates I can eat no problem. Hershey and even Ghiradelli make my teeth ache. I wouldn't dare eat a Starburst. So consider it could be the artificial flavorings in vape.

Try Sensodyne toothpaste and/or try 100% natural or organic juice from vendors like Vaperite if the dentist doesn't find anything.

I hope your teeth feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by Zal42 View Post
    Actually, the sweetener used is typically sucralose (Splenda is sucralose), not glucose. Sucralose does not contribute to tooth decay.

Thanks, but I'm talking about what the VG breaks down into when vaped. Granted it's not much, but if you have a crumbling tooth or abscess, it might make it angry.
    Last edited by OptimusJD; 02-14-2011 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by juicejunky View Post

Try Sensodyne toothpaste and/or try 100% natural or organic juice from vendors like Vaperite if the dentist doesn't find anything.

I hope your teeth feel better.
    Yeah, I swear by sensodyne and biotene mouthwash. My teeth have been horrible most of my life. Even as a child they would crumble no matter how many times I brushed. I see dentures in my near future at 38 years old. Fun times.
    Last edited by OptimusJD; 02-14-2011 at 09:08 PM.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I swear by sensodyne and biotene mouthwash. My teeth have been horrible most of my life. Even as a child they would crumble no matter how many times I brushed. I see dentures in my near future at 38 years old. Fun times.
    Lots of people here have gone to the dentist and they had much better teeth than when they smoked, there shouldn't be anything bad for the teeth with vaping.

Vamo V5 Shrink + IGO-L + Kanthal 30g ~1.5 ohms + Rayon + NCR18650BD 3100mAh

Senior Member ECF Veteran

My teeth are bad, too - like the same kind of bad as yours. In the 5 months that I've been vaping, I have had 1 tooth crumble apart (a back bottom molar) that was already giving me issues to begin with. I don't know if the tooth was just worse than I thought, or if vaping made it worse.

That being said, my gut instinct tells me that vaping has GOT to be easier on our mouths than cigarettes ever were. I really can't see what could possibly be in the e-juice that would destroy our teeth or make them worse than they already were to begin with.

Super Member ECF Veteran

Also, you should have to do any "increased sucking" on a PV. Slow, light, long drags have worked the best for me.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I have recommended this before on other posts because I have had mouth issues since I began vaping (my husband does not though)--Orajel Anticeptic Mouth Rinse. It helps me more than Biotene.
    Halo TruePure, GLV2SM. IKV Fusions & I06
    Smoke-free since 1 Sept. 2010
    Choose to be happy!

PV Master ECF Veteran

Fine, considerate, sensible advice, Phreaker....my cheeks hurt for the first two days after I got my e-cig, and by some co-incidence I was flooding the atomizer all the time. Gentle, long puffs solved both problems.
    ...............The longer the puff, the more heat, the best vapor. No need to puff harder than necessary to light up the light on an automatic battery. Certainly no harder than one would puff a cigarette.
    Also, many people are not aware they have had dry mouth probably long term before vaping. Mouth breathers beware. You need some professional (dental) help to make sure you take care of all the issues involved in drymouth ~ excessive plaque, gingivitis, cavities below the gum line. Biotene helps, dry-mouth toothpaste, but do get checked by a dentist. PG and VG both exascerbate the problem a bit, being humectants. My teeth have always been pretty sensitive, that can also be caused by smoking or too much acidic foods and drinks, carbonated especially. The "tang" can come from Phosphoric acid. Sensodyne for me.
    Last edited by Kate51; 02-15-2011 at 12:00 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast