Diabetes & Vaping
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Diabetes & Vaping

Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla

Default Diabetes & Vaping

I'm wondering if Vaping is raising any ones blood sugar levels, I saw a thread before on this a long time ago and forget what the outcome of it was. I'm just curious since there are sweeteners in some of the liquids.

THX
    I have no favorites I love them all, but the sexy chicks who sport wild thongs drive me up the wall ;-)
    Support the cause give to CASSA

PV Master ECF Veteran

Since there's no sugar or other nutrition in vapor I don't see how it could raise blood sugar levels. Some juices use artificial sweeteners such as Stevia or ethyl maltol. Nicotine is a vascular stimulant and will raise blood pressure though.
    Hardware: Tesla, Vamo v3, Silver Bullet @ 3.7v, Omega @ 3.7v, a pile of 3.7v boxmods. I'm a diehard, old school dripper. There aren't many of us left anymore, too bad because that's how you get the cleanest, tastiest vape.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Blood sugar levels fluctuate at any given time for everyone, not just diabetics. Blood sugar will rise after meals and then begin to decline as the body utilizes the glucose. The problem in diabetes is an inability to control the amount of sugar in the body; sugar is essentially the power supply for all the cells in our body. Diabetes results from either an inability to produce insulin (type I) or a resistance to insulin (type II). Insulin is a hormone produced in the pancreas whose function is to aid in the transport of glucose into our cells. Because a diabetic's body cannot control the amount of sugar in their blood, they have to resort to other methods, which are mainly diet (limiting the amount of sugar intake) or medication (insulin, metformin, glipizide, etc.).

I am not sure about the flavorings that are used in e-juice. While I would not be surprised if they contain sugar/sweeteners, it is very unlikely that the amount would be significant enough to cause any problems in a diabetic, much less cause a non-diabetic individual to become diabetic. Even if one were a heavy vaper, let's say 10mL per day, and considering the fact that by volume e-juices are typically 10-20% flavoring (I'm estimating this based on my DIY calculator), the amount of sugar/sweetener in there wouldn't even be close to a packet of sugar that one would add to their morning coffee.

Hope that helps.

Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla

I don't want to sound rude, I am not, I know how Diabetes works thanks all, I am Diabetic, non insulin dependent, I would like to here from some diabetics in this thread if possible to know directly if vaping has affected your sugar levels please, thanks
    I have no favorites I love them all, but the sexy chicks who sport wild thongs drive me up the wall ;-)
    Support the cause give to CASSA

ECF Veteran

Sorry, I thought that you were asking a more general question. I can only speak from a medical standpoint since I am not a diabetic, nor am I an expert on the liquids. I would, however, be curious to know the real-world implications. Being a diabetic, I assume you check your levels at home. Have you noted a significant increase when vaping?

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I am not diabetic, but I am a caregiver for two diabetic parents, and learned enough about this subject to fill a text book.

Nicotine raises blood sugar levels regardless of the source, whether smoking, vaping, patch, gum, lozenge, or whatever. In fact, the rush we get from nicotine has a lot to do with the sugar increase. More info here: Sugar is the key to the nicotine rush according to new research. So, any diabetics who went right from smoking to vaping probably did not notice much difference in managing their blood glucose levels. The reduction or elimination of nicotine would likely cause more severe withdrawals for diabetics, as the symptoms of withdrawal are very similar to low blood sugar - impatience, irritability, etc...

Diabetics are also prone to kidney problems later in life, and nicotine constricts the blood vessels in the kidneys, which can speed the progression of kidney failure.

So, my advice to any vaping diabetic would be to try to gradually lower their nicotine dose, and if their sugar starts to get low, consider eliminating or lowering the dose of meds like Metformin and Insulin, eat more slow-burning carbs, etc.

Forum Supplier ECF Veteran BuzzKill's Avatar

My GF is a diabetic type I , and has not noticed any connection , she uses insulin all the time . FYI !

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

I am diabetic type 2 and have been vaping for over 7 months and it has not affected my levels at all.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by jplanet View Post
    I am not diabetic, but I am a caregiver for two diabetic parents, and learned enough about this subject to fill a text book.

Nicotine raises blood sugar levels regardless of the source, whether smoking, vaping, patch, gum, lozenge, or whatever. In fact, the rush we get from nicotine has a lot to do with the sugar increase. More info here: Sugar is the key to the nicotine rush according to new research. So, any diabetics who went right from smoking to vaping probably did not notice much difference in managing their blood glucose levels. The reduction or elimination of nicotine would likely cause more severe withdrawals for diabetics, as the symptoms of withdrawal are very similar to low blood sugar - impatience, irritability, etc...

Diabetics are also prone to kidney problems later in life, and nicotine constricts the blood vessels in the kidneys, which can speed the progression of kidney failure.

So, my advice to any vaping diabetic would be to try to gradually lower their nicotine dose, and if their sugar starts to get low, consider eliminating or lowering the dose of meds like Metformin and Insulin, eat more slow-burning carbs, etc.
    Agree 100% with the kidney issues; anything that affects blood vessels and blood pressure is an issue for diabetics. The damage is ongoing; they don't "see" it until it advances to a certain point. Also agree with the filling a textbook; my oldest son is Type 1 since the age of 9......you become an expert REAL fast when that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by jplanet View Post
    Nicotine raises blood sugar levels regardless of the source, whether smoking, vaping, patch, gum, lozenge, or whatever. In fact, the rush we get from nicotine has a lot to do with the sugar increase. More info here: Sugar is the key to the nicotine rush according to new research.
    I've always wondered what the link was between blood sugar and smoking. I could tell there was one from my own experience, but never came across any research to support the observation...until now! Thanks for the link, jplanet!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast