BBC News- Possible Death from E-Cig Use?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: BBC News- Possible Death from E-Cig Use?

Super Member ECF Veteran

Default BBC News- Possible Death from E-Cig Use?

This was just posted in the pneumonia thread, but I wanted to start it as a new thread so others could see it too and realize it wasn't an old post.

YouTube - Bad news for E-cig Users

My response:
    He was vaping oil? WTH? Where did the Dr come up with his theory? I wish they would have went into more details..smells fishy to me..

I just paused the part where they showed a bottle of e-liquid. I can tell it is a bottle of Ecopure. IF that is what this guy was using that means it was from 100% VG. I know VG is water soluble BUT it DOES come from vegetable OIL. So would there possibly still be traces of oil in VG liquids?

From experience my lungs did not react well to VG but I know others use it with no problem.. THOUGHTS???

Super Member ECF Veteran

Two very good blog posts about it

BBC Look North 28th March 2011 - UK Vapers
    Lipoid Pneumonia - Crossbow's Research - UK Vapers

Also the bottle of e-liquid they held up was just a prop. They never said exactly what he was using in his e-cig. It would be helpful to know.
    Last edited by Kams Cats; 03-29-2011 at 07:00 PM.

Super Member ECF Veteran

We all know we must read between the line - I try and read several foriegn news reports before making my own decisions. Thanks for posting!

Full Member ECF Veteran

Not sure about VG but PG has been tested and deemed safe for prolonged use. I think it just might be big tobacco trying to scare AWOL smokers back onto the death sticks. You know that guys that put out posters with doctors and scientists claiming how safe cigs are.

Super Member ECF Veteran

Thanks for the links, I read both.. The one link did say the reporter "believes" the eliquid being used was Intellicig (which is ecopure VG)

There have been no studies on the safety of inhaling VG so if it comes out that it builds up in the lungs and causes pneumonia it really wouldn't surprise me.

I still think it's safest to use unflavored liquids too

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Here's the article I saw today.

BBC News - Gateshead doctor calls for research into 'e-cigarettes'

So the guy might have gotten pneumonia from his ecig, which might have been using some sort of oil based liquid? This is a non-story until they've got actual findings to report.
    Smoke-free since Oct '09 thanks to ecigs!

Quote Originally Posted by MissVapor View Post
    There have been no studies on the safety of inhaling VG so if it comes out that it builds up in the lungs and causes pneumonia it really wouldn't surprise me.
    I would be very surprised! There have been such studies (although it's not as well studied as pg) starting in the late 1800s. The studies indicate that it's relatively benign, and no mention of pneumonia.

Inhalation study in rats
    Starting on page 23
    SIDS assessment

There are lots more. Google is your friend.

By the way, according to this study, cigarettes contain 2% glycerin, and a smoker will absorb 1.6mg of it from each cigarette.

Senior Member ECF Veteran

i call BS. this is big tobacco or big pharma scare tactics.

Super Member ECF Veteran

I think the biggest problem is the fact the fellow was a heavy smoker. With Emphysema so his lungs were in bad shape to begin with. People have to remember that we don't heal over night if ever from our smoking. Plus it was six months ago and he had stopped vaping some time ago so I don't know if they even have a sample of his e-liquid or even tissue samples of his lungs. So to say one way or another is a tough call.

I think it is something to be studied. To be aware of. This isn't the regular types of pneumonia so if you do get sick it doesn't mean you have this type. See a Dr! Those of us with really battered lungs should probably be a little more careful.
    Last edited by Kams Cats; 03-29-2011 at 10:22 PM.

Full Member ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by telsie View Post
    So the guy might have gotten pneumonia from his ecig, which might have been using some sort of oil based liquid? This is a non-story until they've got actual findings to report.
    That is my major complaint too. It is irresponsible to scare up a e-cig issue on this yet. So far, we have a lifelong smoker with chronic lung problems who died of something cigarette smokers are vulnerable to.
    It happens he was electronic smoking for a short time. Plenty of smokers do use nicotine patches, gums etc when it gets so bad they are dying or in trouble (from the smoking already).

Anyways, yea, there is no story yet. That they hype up a new 'scare' here is just more hype media.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast