Sores in Mouth and Burnt Tongue - Heated Micro Spheres of Death!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Sores in Mouth and Burnt Tongue - Heated Micro Spheres of Death!

Senior Member ECF Veteran MrSmith99's Avatar

Default Sores in Mouth and Burnt Tongue - Heated Micro Spheres of Death!

OK, so the title is a little melodramatic.... But I thought this post may help some people.

Problem:
    I was using an Ego and 510 with various e-liquid from various vendors. I started getting sores in my mouth. I thought my problem might be that I had some atty's that were going out/clogged and I was sucking on the e-cig too hard. I replaced the atty's and got bigger vapor but was still getting sores in my mouth like crazy. Once or twice I really burnt my tongue bad somehow (Heat? Chemical?) I suspect the whole "I can't taste anything anymore" is related. Seriously, it didn't matter what juice I used. It wasn't like that when I started vaping.
    For the life of me, I couldn't figure out what I was doing different. And it wasn't like an infection at all. It was like being burnt with heat or chemicals, slowly..... over days.

Answer:
    Then my mod showed up. I got a black/black Reo Grand. It makes mountains of vapor with no effort. For some reason all the sores in my mouth went away. And what is crazy is that the mod puts out way more vapor/chemicals. So, I don't think it is the e-juice makeup that caused the sores.

Heated Micro Spheres of Death:
    The only thing I can think of as a cause is this: I would start vaping with an Ego or 510. In a attempt to get more more vapor I would unconsciously suck harder on the e-cig. This would cause heated vapor to enter my mouth and burn me. Perhaps it was just little micro spheres of heated vapor. I never felt that I was being burnt when it was happening. It would take a day or so for sores to show up.
    But with the mod I have all the vapor I want and thus don't hardly drawl on the mod at all.

Conclusion:
    I think if you hit an e-cig hard and try to drawl vapor from it that small heated vapor droplets burn your mouth and tongue. I think in the short run you can loose your taste and over a couple of days it can cause sores in your mouth or on your tongue.
    The fix for me was to get a better e-cig that i didn't have to drawl on. Your mileage may vary...

Other Remedies:
    All of this is pure speculation. But I think that heated micro spheres of liquid/vapor is a good candidate for what I have experienced and what I hear from others. I think a 2 or 3 inch extension would not be out of the question. Perhaps even a mesh screen to help cool the vapor. I may try this with my Ego and 510's. It probably wouldn't hurt to use it on my mod as well.

Comments?

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Just today noticing the same thing. Toongue feels burnt in the middle. Been vaping about six weeks using various models. I like the mini cig styles, but I DO have to pull a lot more. Maybe that's what's burning my tongue
    Last edited by LauraBolyard; 07-28-2011 at 12:16 AM.

Ultra Member ECF Veteran

i have found that the higher voltage mods do that / burning ... i use a 5 volt mod now and problem is gone... but everyone is diffrent in my opp...

lawnman3...

Senior Member ECF Veteran

I'm confused. Not really very technical here but my husband has a provari, which as far as I can understand has a much hotter vapour than my Ego,(I've had a few drags and it feels much warmer) but still I can't imagine that his vapour could get anywhere near hot enough to actually burn the tongue?
    As soon as the vapour comes out it begins to lose temperature - I would guess.

Personally I am convinced that the issues surrounding sore tongues and mouths are due to the nicotine because it's a known fact that nicotine is a skin irritant.
    I feel that somehow we don't get quite the same irritation with cigarettes because of the filter.
    The gums and nicotine inhalers can cause the same problem apparently.
    I'm wondering whether the drying effects of the PG or VG combined with the irritant effect of the nicotine is to blame?
    I'm now into my third bout of geographic tongue. If you looked at it you would swear I have 'burnt" it but that's not what it is at all.

Anyway, whatever helps your tongues.... but I just can't see that the vapours heat itself would be able to actually burn it?
    Last edited by Tracy68; 07-28-2011 at 01:14 AM.

ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

Today is the first day I have felt this, maybe it could be the nicotine. Don't yet know, but curious if others have found this also, and possible reasons. Not tying to hijack your thread mr smith, but I find it ironic you posted this today!

ECF Veteran

I got sores on my tongue as well, but they have gone away. I'm pretty sure it was a cig withdrawl thing, is that possible for you? I had some pretty weird symptoms and that was one of them.

ECF Veteran

Just for shiggles, What are you all vaping?
    ~sent from my Toaster Oven

http://www.shopcoppercreek.com/

Senior Member ECF Veteran

I'm vaping PG - spearmint flavour. 12 mg nic. My tongue reacted the same with VG and strawberry.

Full Member ECF Veteran

I presume you've already PM'd each other to check you aren't purchasing from the same vendor?

I concur with Tracy re temperatures. My eGo draws so cool I sometimes wonder if its turned off, and even chain vaping it has barely gotten warm, so I can't imagine getting to the temperatures required to burn. The very few times I've got e-liquid on my lip(s), usually pre- or post-cleaning sessions, it is apparent within about 10 seconds... nothing you wouldn't notice long enough to cause a burn.

I'd be tempted to think more along the lines of vendor quality control, diet (drink/acidic food residue) + vaping, reaction of oral vaped particles from different juices (switch flavors often?) or even any prescription medication being a factor. Whatever the cause, the community would benefit greatly from at least one suffering finding the answer. Reading this makes me a little paranoid about experimenting with different juices.

(I'm still a relative noob so feel free to ignore my advice/opinions until 100+ posts)
    Last edited by OrthodoxAtheist; 07-28-2011 at 09:06 AM. Reason: OCD
    Water Plus Fire likes this.

Full Member ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I had mouth sores within a week after I started using my Riva 510 that cleared up in another week and haven't had any since.

I can't say for certain, but the body is a wonderful machine that can and does clean out old crap as fast as it can once it's able to.

I chalked it up to not filling my mouth with what? 60 chemicals in analog cigarettes? and the body tissue cleared out some iffy patches that were hanging around.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast