Do you vape cinnamon flavors? Read this!
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Do you vape cinnamon flavors? Read this!

Super Member* ECF Veteran Starspecks's Avatar

Default Do you vape cinnamon flavors? Read this!

I have always bought my cinnamon online after discovering there was "fake" (cassia) and "real" (ceylon) cinnamon. The difference between the two can be deadly, no joke, if consumed too frequently or by individuals at a risk already.
    This made me wonder which type of cinnamon was being vaped.
    check out this article here http://www.livestrong.com/article/44...n-bad-for-you/
    Hiryu, Shizzle, Beans and 3 others like this.

Quantum Vapyre ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Thanks for posting this! It is most likely neither that is being used for flavorings, rather it is an artificial mixture of mostly cinnamaldehyde and related esters. There is likely no coumadin in any cinnamon e-liquids.

That said, the dangers I see from cinnamon vaping have nothing to do with the liver, but from cinnamaldehyde itself. This is a KNOWN lung and mucus membrane irritant and can cause ulcers and lung damage. I know chewing too much cinnamon gum will give me mouth sores. There are many posts here in the Health Forum related to throat, mouth and lung problems from vaping cinnamon e-liquid. To honest, I don't think cinnamon e-liquid should be sold, or else it should have a warning. Some are fine with it, but many get severe reactions that can become quite scary. In almost all cases, the vaper thought it was vaping in general causing the problems, then someone asks what the juice was, and it was Cinnabomb or some such hot cinnamon juice.

As I said, some do not have any obvious issues with cinnamaldehyde, but the compound does have a long history of causing such problems. I avoid hot cinnamon, as it will also cause a flair up of Crohn's disease, which I have and have to watch diet for.
    Deciding not to smoke is one thing. Forgetting to smoke is a different animal altogether.

Registered Supplier ECF Veteran

Thanks for that info Kurt. I retail some cinnamon flavors, think I will include a warning of this nature. I have had certain customers (maybe 10% who've tried the flavors) report it irritated their throats too much to use, a small % but I think its a responsible thing to inform people of.

Super Member* ECF Veteran Starspecks's Avatar

Glad to know the flavorings most likely don't contain coumarin. I do like some flavors that have the cinnamon "bite" to them occasionally.
    I definitely agree on some sort of warning about cinnamon flavors so people not glued to the forums can identify any sort of reaction. Very nice way to look out for your customers
    jjdemu likes this.

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Kurt, I've read in the DIY forum that using eliquids containing artificial, water-soluble cinnamon flavoring (as opposed to non-water-soluble cinnamon essential oil) is somehow preferable. Do you concur? What is cinnamon artificial flavoring made out of? Does it contain any cinnamaldehyde?

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

This is good info. Thank you for posting it. I used to use cinnabomb but very sparingly. I finally gave it up but still crave the darn stuff once in awhile. I hope I can continue to avoid it. I like hot cinnamon candy from virginvapor and Annette only uses all organic but I think I'll drop her a PM and ask if she know what her flavoring is made from.
    MOD HOARDER

Quantum Vapyre ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

To be honest, Katya, I don't know. I did some searches, but couldn't find what it is exactly. Guesses: cinnamic acid esters or salts. They would be less hot than the aldehyde. Maybe there are other cinnamon-like flavors out there too. Linda at TPA will probably know, and she will tell you too. Safety? Haven't a clue. Cinnamaldehyde is a reactive aldehyde. It will etch some plastics.

I have had countless PMs from people asking me how much cinnamon is safe, what % to use to make a safe juice, what about water-soluble forms, cinnabun flavor, on and on. I generally say I don't know, but I don't vape cinnamon, and here's why, link to wiki, etc. If people want to vape it, fine. Chances are you won't end up in the ER, or worse, but you might, and I have seen some pretty serious posts here from people who have ended up in the ER, with throats closing up. I don't think it should be sold to vape, but its not my call, nor is it illegal. Its not illegal to sue either.

We have 1000s of safe flavors to choose from. I personally cannot even eat much cinnamon, so my interest is helping others vape it is pretty limited. My interest in keeping others from having a vaping-related ER visit is pretty high, however, as it should be for everyone else here. 10% of 1000 people is 100 potential threats to us. The media won't care if it is from a flavor.

Hairball, I don't know what Annette's flavoring is, but an organic extraction of hot cinnamon WILL contain cinnamaldehyde. Has to, organic or not. There are many cinnamons from around the world, some hot, some floral, like Ceylon cinnamon. If it is hot, it has more aldehyde, in general. And a full extract flavoring, which I did not consider before, may contain coumadin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katya View Post
    Kurt, I've read in the DIY forum that using eliquids containing artificial, water-soluble cinnamon flavoring (as opposed to non-water-soluble cinnamon essential oil) is somehow preferable. Do you concur? What is cinnamon artificial flavoring made out of? Does it contain any cinnamaldehyde?
    Katya, aikanae1, tybin and 4 others like this.
    Deciding not to smoke is one thing. Forgetting to smoke is a different animal altogether.

Senior Member ECF Veteran

this is very informing.. I went through a phase of vaping "red hots" flavors in my daily joose rotation and could never pin point why I was having troubles such as really heavy chest and very tender throat...I lost my desire for everyday cinnamon flavor and the symptoms have since stopped...

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Thanks, Kurt!

Super Member ECF Veteran

Does this help

About flavours

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast