Diabetes and E cigs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Diabetes and E cigs

Default Diabetes and E cigs

Hey everyone,

I have a mate that is very interested in getting his own e cig but he is concerned about his diabetes and any sugar that is in the flavouring.

I would like to hear from any diabetics that know about this particularly with the sweeter fruit flavours.

And if anyone else can give advise that too would be most welcome.

I have diabetes and I vape like crazy. You don't have to worry AT ALL... you merely "smell" the flavors, you don't actually consume them. The liquid is never actually consumed per se., and even if it were, it's in such incredibly small quantities it would have no appreciable impact on your glucose levels.

Wes

Super Member ECF Veteran shivadance's Avatar

As a diabetic I've researched this. I agree with Wesk, you don't consume the liquid per se and it's more the smell and slight taste of the flavors I get. So I wouldn't think this would affect blood sugar at all! And I think vaping is waaaay better for me than smoking, however there is a link between nicotine and insulin.

From what I've read, nicotine inhibits the release of insulin and can leave a smoker slightly hyperglycemic (more sugar in the blood than normal). High blood sugar can also act as an appetite suppressant, which is why some smokers think smoking reduces appetite. If you google nicotine and blood sugar or nicotine and insulin you should get a lot of hits if you want to research.

Now, I'm happy I quit smoking. I am looking to get off the nicotine eventually tho. But I LOVE having all the tasty flavors to vape! Especially the chocolate! I try not to even eat the sugar free chocolate that much, so vaping my sweets is absolutely wonderful!

I have Diabetes and just started insulin. I test my blood sugar all the time. I'm fine! Of course I vape between 11mg to 0nic. I have cut and added glycerin, Lorann's and Pg. to my 11mg so often, I am problaby getting 2 mg of nic by now..lol
    Once in a while I take a hit of hubby's P.V., 24 nic marlboro and it doesn't make a difference.
    You guys do know Lorann's is mostly sugar free. I imagine it's the same for the flavoring the Chinese use. The sugar is in the metabolizing of the glycol in the body. Don't injest it.
    The problem is Nicotine as stated before..just go as low as possible and it should be fine. It's better (with lower nic) then cigs anyday! My Blood pressure has gone way down since I stopped smoking and started vaping.
    Added benifit: I don't snack as often, I vape my snacks instead.
    From the Lorann site about the candy oils:
    Gluten Free
    Sugar Free*
    *Except Maple Flavor

k9rotehexe likes this.
    Mary Kay
    Analog free -April 17,2009
    Ladies, Please join us in ECF's: The Women's Room

Senior Member ECF Veteran

I've been wondering about this as well. I'm type 2 diabetic on Metformin and have my first check up in a few days since I started vaping. Now I'm not so nervous. This is a great thread. Thanks!

He is a smoker at the moment so nicotine doesnt seem to bother him. He was just more concerned about sugar intake particualrly in the fruity flavours but that all seems fine!

Super Member ECF Veteran shivadance's Avatar

Great, good luck to your mate!

Super Member ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I'm also a diabetic.
    I'm only diet and exercise, but it means I have to check my sugar like crazy.
    Since I've started vaping I noticed my sugar has actually gone down.
    I think it's because I get me "sweet fix" by using sweeter flavors and eat more veggies during the day.
    Did I mention I'm a horrible diabetic?
    "Hmm.. if I have a Mt Dew now, then I'll just have a piece of cheese for snack... if I eat a candy bar then I'll drink 3 bottles of water"

Senior Member ECF Veteran dijohn76's Avatar

I'm a type 2 diabetic on metformin, glucotrol, and lantus insulin and my blood pressure has gone down and my sugars are in great shape since I started vaping. I use both pg and vg with my lorann oils, neither seem to bother my levels at all. Currently 0 nic most of the day with a 6mg kick at night.
    Analog free in Montana since 3/23/09

Full Member ECF Veteran

I am a type 2 diabetic. Stopped smoking and into vaping for almost 2 months now.
    I am proud to say that my sex life has greatly improved due to a better blood circulation. Now, no more frustrations and a satisfied partner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast