Smokers cough with vaping?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Smokers cough with vaping?

Default Smokers cough with vaping?

What are your experiences with your smokers cough and vaping? Over the summer I developed a thick smokers cough that typically occurs once or twice a day, usually within a few hours after waking. Not to be overly graphic, but it usually lasts until I hack up whatever needed to come out. I will say, it feels more productive than it did when I was a smoker, meaning that it doesn't feel like the obligatory cough that was par for the course with smoking. A few months ago I came down with a cold that led to a sinus infection (with plenty of smokers hack), and after going on antibiotics it seemed to clear up the coughing, but it came back about a month ago. Now...it may or may not be related to vaping, but I'm trying to rule some things out based on others' experiences. I switched to vaping last April, and early on I was using heavier PG juices, but have since switched to either 50/50 or 100% VG. Like I said, it typically only occurs once or twice a day, and it isn't necessarily something I'm worried about, but I'd rather it wasn't there....
    Last edited by nectarguru; 01-09-2012 at 01:01 AM.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

sounds like just your typical cigs withdrawal symptoms

Even after about 9 months? I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but it's strange considering I was a light smoker by the time I quit (about 3 a day).

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

you smoking in your sleep...lol

Frankly,I dont know what to say..I hacked one today,havent for over a month....

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

every now and again i hack a good one up. i`m almost at the 1 year point with only having 4 smokes. for me its maybe twice a week but thats a hell of a lot better then every morning / afternoon and night.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

I'd go back to all PG if I were you. My Pulmonary doctor couldn't believe people were really vaping VG. He said get off it and get off now. He was very animated for an otherwise mild mannered guy. He said vaping VG is just like coating your lungs with oil. Needless to say, no more VG for me.

I noticed one Juice Vendors today state on their sites that VG is "FDA approved". I think that's deceptive just to make a buck, because vaping VG is certainly not FDA approved. I think it's time for the FDA to step in and do something.

Super Member ECF Veteran

Here's my $.02 on it.
    The cough I get from vaping usually only happens when my CE2 style carts get too much "gunk" around the coil. If they're really gunky, I toss them.
    I also notice the "cough" shows up when I've been vaping 100% VG at a higher voltage, chain vaping.
    The tradeoff is that I have a slight allergy to PG, so I either have to NOT chain vape VG at a higher voltage, or just do it on a cleaner cart.

I'm also experimenting with different vendors who offer customized VG/PG blends. Copper Creek does this (and their juice is pretty tasty), as do many other vendors.

Sweetners added to juice seems to cause problems for some, I try to shy away from added "sweetners"

Dual coil cartos give great flavor and TH, but vaping 100% VG on those just seems to wreak havoc on my lungs (so I "don't do that")
    I have no problem doing cardio at the gym, or walking my dog in the cold wintery air. It's not nearly like when I was smoking menthol analogs and dry hacking every few minutes, or having that scary heavy lung feeling after a long night of chain smoking "up all night" hanging out with friends.
    I do think that some VG juice bases are "better" than others. Not sure if it's that the ones that don't make me cough have more distilled water in the mix.

My opinion on this whole thing is, if what you're vaping makes you cough, try a different base mix, or different hardware, or both. A bad cough is well... bad.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I got the slime a few months back with a sinus infection too, nothing bad just the clear coating we've heard about. I cut back on the VG in my juice, started back on the allergy meds and got the dust bunnies out from under the bed and it went away in 2 weeks......So I never know what to think about it. The fact is physically I feel great and my breathing is so much better than before my quit I'm just going with it. I do occasionally worry about the VG but heck.. Im turning 40, smoked 1-2 ppd for 27 years and already have lung disease. If I can get another 15-20 years out of this bag of bones I'll coutunt myself lucky. I have no delusions on where my health lies at this point, I'm just happy I can finally enjoy it.
    F_Munson likes this.

Red and Black Reo Grand, Baby Black and Silver Mini, Black oo, Black IPro with M1A1 Tanks and a Black and Silver Reo Grand in my hand.

ECF Guru Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Smoked for almost 40 years similar with wife and started to the cough especially when trying to sleep.
    Wife would constantly cough during daytime with cig in hand.
    We found vaping in May of 2011 and both of us lost the cough.
    I vape 100% pg and drop a few drops once in a while of vg with a syringe in my tank.
    I find the VG builds up and i will then cough and have since eased up on it and vape very little with it.
    My wife uses all Pg and has no cough at all im happy to say.

PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by thewomenfolk View Post
    I'd go back to all PG if I were you. My Pulmonary doctor couldn't believe people were really vaping VG. He said get off it and get off now. He was very animated for an otherwise mild mannered guy. He said vaping VG is just like coating your lungs with oil. Needless to say, no more VG for me.

I noticed one Juice Vendors today state on their sites that VG is "FDA approved". I think that's deceptive just to make a buck, because vaping VG is certainly not FDA approved. I think it's time for the FDA to step in and do something.
    PG and VG are both water soluble. VG is derived from plant sources and PG is derived from petroleum (crude oil). Petroleum is a combination of plant and animal remains that are liquified over eons. Does either sound completely safe?

Anything that is water soluble can be expelled from the lungs. Oil is a dangerous thing in the respiratory system, since it can't be easily combined with phlegm and expelled. It's the reason that oil based nose drops were outlawed 40 years ago. Both PG and VG have some level of irritability and allergic reactions to those who are sensitive. Excessive use can be irritating and is a sign that we need to put it down periodically when that happens.
    Last edited by DaveP; 01-10-2012 at 03:19 PM.
    Link likes this.

And I only smoked 6 a day for two years before that.

Provari and Sigelei Zmax V3 | CASAA Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast