Has anyone else had bad acne since vaping? It's not "quit zits"
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Has anyone else had bad acne since vaping? It's not "quit zits"

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default Has anyone else had bad acne since vaping? It's not "quit zits"

Hey guys.
    So I'm on about month 6 of using my e-cig. Haven't had a cigarette since quitting. The only thing that bugs me is I've had really terrible skin since switching. I wash my face multiple times a day, I use the ProActive treatment, on top of many others. Nothing seems to work.
    Last week I went on vacation and didn't use the e-cig all that much, and my skin got WAY better. But then again, I was also in the sun a lot. I'm not sure what the deal is, but I can't help but think that my e-cig is causing this.

I've used nothing but Boba's Bounty the entire time I've been vaping... maybe there is an ingredient in there causing me to break out so much? Surely it's not the 100% VG? I can't seem to find anyone else with this problem.

I will probably go to a dermatologist, but I really don't want to give up vaping.. it's all I have.
    Anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions?

Currently vaping: JustGG #0240 with GG Ithaka

Check out my illustration, animation and design at subver.com

Full Member ECF Veteran The Duke's Avatar

I had the same problem, a year after quiting cigarettes and the acne was getting progressively worse. Trying to narrow down what the cause could be I tried cutting out all PG, so far it's seem to do the trick.
    Also a helpful link that helped me.
    http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...ss-breath.html
    79Silo and cherrycakes like this.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

KL,Malaysia / Baltimore,MD / Lelystad, NL

i got issue when i use straight PG.. Now after i vape more to 50/50 or 100VG.. it subside somehow. Maybe you check with dermatologist see what is their opinion on it.. Duke send that link also is very helpful..

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Thanks guys. That's the thing, too, I vape 100% VG - I hope the VG isn't giving me a reaction, everyone else seems to be ok with VG, and I haven't heard of VG causing acne.

Currently vaping: JustGG #0240 with GG Ithaka

Check out my illustration, animation and design at subver.com

Ultra Member ECF Veteran Bullette the Cowdog's Avatar

I got bad case with high pg. but bobas bounty is 100% vg. So I don't know about your situation.
    I am now watching what I eat & using 10% Benzoyl peroxide 2-3/day & improved immensely.
    I am 63 yo & suffered with flare ups my whole adult life. For me it is all about what I eat. Going to beach helps me too. Salt water & sun... Our creator's medicine.
    Good luck
    Rymarski likes this.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Contrary to what others have said, I noticed that my skin became more oily with higher VG. My main vape is an 80/20 pg/vg mix and since about January/February of this year my skin has been getting better every week. But going off of what Bullette said, a mixture of sun and healthy diet will tremendously help too. I would definitely say though that quitting smoking has given me much healthier looking skin vs. cigarettes.
    YoursTruli likes this.

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Well, I have been suffering with cystic acne ever since I quit smoking (2 years ago), and while at first I thought it was due to the PG, I no longer believe that it can be attributed to this, as it didn't let up much when I switched to 100% VG, or when I stopped vaping for several months. In fact, it got so bad that I had to go on Minocycline, which cleared it up some, but if I stopped taking it for even a few days, it would come back with a vengeance. I tried every possible acne cure known to man. Some of them would work for a little while, but then the acne would return.

I honestly believe that most of this is linked to hormones, and yes, even in men. Smoking messes with many of our body's functions, and hormones are one of these. Smoking prevents the body from attempting to cure a hormonal imbalance because it is too busy attempting to cope with the ill effects of smoking tobacco. So when you quit, your hormones--in both men and women--go into overdrive. I honestly believe that this is one of the many reasons why we get so cranky when we quit. Hormones affect so many of our body's functions, like our heart rates, thyroid, adrenal gland, and well, our moods. Some people's acne and other hormonal symptoms back off after they've quit for awhile, because their bodies simply heal and eventually self-regulate. Mine didn't.

Anyway, I recently decided to get my hormones checked, and I was WAY off. I went on a bioidentical Progesterone cream, and boom, my zits are gone. I mean GONE. That quickly. I also feel a TON better, calmer, and happier. Now, I'm a gal and I'm 37 years old, so this was my solution. As for men, I would definitely talk to a natural health care practitioner if your symptoms don't subside, and see if they will test your hormone levels (saliva test), and if they're off, they can recommend supplements that can get you back on track.

Also keep in mind that our current environment is full of xenoestrogens that mimic estrogen in the body--and yes, even in men. Do your best to eliminate these things, and see if maybe that helps clear you up. Here's a link to some info on xenoestrogens.

I'm no doctor...far from it. All I know is that after doing tons of research, I have come to the conclusion--as have many people much smarter and better educated than I--that most acne is hormonal. Fix the hormones, fix the acne.

Sorry for the long rant.
    Last edited by Pheisty; 08-15-2012 at 11:36 PM.
    Skyway, StormFinch, faile and 11 others like this.
    "The question isnít who is going to let me; itís who is going to stop me." ~ Ayn Rand

I'm glad to see I'm not alone. Your situation is about as close to mine as I've read so far (thanks goes to Darksyde for pointing me to your thread)
    I posted my story earlier today, take a look http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...rs-vaping.html

I'm certain I have cystic acne like you do - it's not your normal acne, these are painful, bulging zits that start very deep in the skin and slowly work their way to the surface, leaving a considerable bulge that takes for-EVER to heal. I get flareups when I vape a lot, and now that VG is the only other ingredient in my juice other than the nicotine, I've got to think it's a hormonal imbalance since I'm not using more than scores of other vapers out there are using with no ill effect to their skin.

I've always had naturally oily skin, in fact I had acne so bad when I was a teen that I took Accutane. Although it cleared up my face, I've had acne off and on all my life, but nothing like I've got now. Not even close.

I'm not convinced the VG is giving me oily skin, I'm starting to think that the nicotine is behind all of this unfortunately.
    I gave away all of my PG-based nicotine base, I guess I could try going 100% PG for a while and see what happens?
    Last edited by Caution; 10-08-2012 at 05:30 AM.
    Brobdingnagian likes this.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Subver did you never have acne before? I couldn't figure out from your OP if this is something new or just aggravated and your usual acne has gotten worse since vaping?
    How much and long had you been smoking cigarettes before quitting? You don't state your age but I suppose sudden acne could develop at any age, hormones and imbalances can get crazy too at any age. You also state "it's not quit zits" .... why do you say that? How do you know it's not quit zits?
    Have you been drinking more water? Has your diet changed?
    Also, quote: I wash my face multiple times a day, I use the ProActive treatment, on top of many others. unquote !!... You're using MANY acne treatments? My goodness, using so many "treatments"?....this would be cause for much concern right there!
    Lastly, you "can't help but think it's your ecig causing this"?
    Lol have you ever heard the phrase "if you think it, it will be so?"
    Our own thought processes can play havok can't they?
    Hope you get it straightend out. Good luck! Keep us posted. Thanks!

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

I doubt it has anything to do w/vaping and more to do with hormones/auto immune response. Dermatologist in order here. Also, there is quite a lot of evidence that acne, like other inflammatory responses, can be food sensiitivites. Google hypoallergenic diet and try it, you will know in 28 days, but be prepared to restrict your intake of many foods.

TC's given: ~9/27/12~ ~ 11/17/2012~~04/01/2013/TC rec'd: 03/09/2013

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast