PG allergy symptoms?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: PG allergy symptoms?

Super Member Verified Member

Default PG allergy symptoms?

I apologize if this is not the correct place to post this - please move if it's in the wrong spot

How long might a PG allergy take to manifest (I started out w/100% VG juices, moved to 50/50 and then to 70PG/30VG hoping to get a bit more flavor, & I've been alternating between the two (50/50 & 70P/30V) for several weeks now w/no problems.

A few days ago I developed a patch of skin on the back of my neck (low & to the left) that hurts/burns like a really bad sunburn, but nothing is visible on the skin (me, hubby & daughter have all looked @ it - nothing there!) Yesterday I noticed a few "flat" but raised bumps (sort of like hives except they're skin-colored rather than red & they don't itch) on my face kind of to the side of my eyebrow. Could any of this be caused by PG??

LOL - just had to correct myself because in my 1st paragraph I accidentally typed "PV allergy" - no, that's definitely not it!

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

As a RN I'm taking a guess and saying probably not. Could be but I doubt it. Most people are not "allergic" to inhaled pg they are sensitive or intolerant to it. Can cause burning and irritation in the throat and nasal passages, congested sinuses, burning lips, once it gets to swelling and numbness of the lips/mouth or tightening of the airway then it's more serious and likely an allergic reaction. A rash would be a systemic symptom. So I'm guessing if your mouth, throat and all that is fine, where the pg is having the most direct contact, then the rash is unlikely to be from the pg. Everyone is different though and not everyone will have the same reactions. If pg is the only thing you've narrowed it down to then yes go with that. If you suspect it's the pg then by all means avoid pg and see if the rash improves. If the rash continues I would definitely discuss that with your Dr.
    hnyb0210 likes this.

Smoke free and addicted to vaping since July 11, 2012!

ECF Veteran

I have suffered from contact dermatitis for years due to an allergy to some chemicals used to tan leather. I haven't had a major issue with any rash in a couple of years now but when I started vaping I noticed some flare ups. I read that PG can exacerbate eczema so I don't know if it could be from the PG or just due to an old pair of shoes I have yet to give up that may be breaking down. I've avoided straight VG as it is so thick and a pain to deal with, but if it gets worse, I might not have a choice. It's rather benign now compared to what I've experienced in the past.

I'm no medical professional, but I use a prescription cream called clobetasol propionate to keep it under control.

This might help, lots of info https://www.google.com/search?q=derm...w=1821&bih=809
    Last edited by TulsaClint; 08-30-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Senior Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

sounds like shingles did you have the chicken pox as a kid?

Last TC 12/26/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Hosedragger View Post
    Yes, I did have the chicken pox, and I have also experienced a bout of shingles, probably 11-12 years ago - that was NOT FUN!! That's an interesting thought - that hadn't occurred to me, but I will definitely keep an eye on it w/that in mind.

Apparently high PG juices irritate my throat and chest, nothing scary, but no doubt that it bothers me. I like a 50/50 blend, don't notice any problems and seem to get the best of both PG and VG.

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Hosedragger View Post
    Shingles don't spread to ur face. Shingles follow a nerve pathway on your trunk.

My bad. To be more specific. I don't see a shingles rash spreading from the back of ur neck to a random spot on ur face/eyebrow. I would expect a shingles rash on the back to spread around the trunk either around a shoulder or down around the arm pit. Didn't mean to insinuate that shingles cannot appear on the face at all.
    Last edited by DantesInferno; 08-31-2012 at 02:06 AM.

Smoke free and addicted to vaping since July 11, 2012!

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by DantesInferno View Post
    As a RN I'm taking a guess and saying probably not. Could be but I doubt it. Most people are not "allergic" to inhaled pg they are sensitive or intolerant to it. Can cause burning and irritation in the throat and nasal passages, congested sinuses, burning lips, once it gets to swelling and numbness of the lips/mouth or tightening of the airway then it's more serious and likely an allergic reaction. A rash would be a systemic symptom. So I'm guessing if your mouth, throat and all that is fine, where the pg is having the most direct contact, then the rash is unlikely to be from the pg. Everyone is different though and not everyone will have the same reactions. If pg is the only thing you've narrowed it down to then yes go with that. If you suspect it's the pg then by all means avoid pg and see if the rash improves. If the rash continues I would definitely discuss that with your Dr.
    Dude, you're an RN? I'm a RNit (in training )
    I support the CASAA!
    Mostly just the ProVari now 'n days

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by DantesInferno View Post
    Shingles don't spread to ur face. Shingles follow a nerve pathway on your trunk.
    Sure they can. My fiancee gets them on her face, and she loathes every moment.

Shingles (Herpes Zoster) Treatment, Causes, Symptoms, Vaccine

It's possible that you could also feel dizzy or weak, or you could have long-term pain or a rash on your face, changes in your vision, changes in how well you can think, or a rash that spreads. If you have any of these problems from shingles, call your doctor right away.
    I support the CASAA!
    Mostly just the ProVari now 'n days

ECF Veteran

face is a very common spot because there are many nerve pathways along the neck to the jaw line and around the scalp but that would be moving away from the OP's question

Last TC 12/26/2012

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast