PG and VG side effects
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: PG and VG side effects

Full Member Verified Member JuiceHound's Avatar

Default PG and VG side effects

HI. I’m new to the forum. I’ve been a forum reader for a few months but this is actually my very first post! Sorry for the long post but can’t convey my experience, leaving any of this stuff out! New vapers please note: This is only an account of my frustrations with e-liquid side affects. These health issues may only affect certain people such as myself, and my issues may be caused from me being hypersensitive. So, please don’t let any of my travails cause anyone any undue concern in their wonderful journey into vaping.

I have found many other posts about VG & PG side effects in the regular user’s forum, but I thought I’d open one up in the new members’ area and dig right in since I can post there for now. I’ve been vaping on and off since April 2012

I personally feel the materials safety data sheets favor VG as the healthier choice. Some people like myself have experienced side effects, or issues with both bases. I understand that there are a lot of factors involved, especially the quality of ingredients, etc. I’ve had rashes with PG and diarrhea and rashes with VG. To my knowledge, PG and VG are the only two bases available to suspend the other ingredients and produce vapor.

PG: I started breaking out in a rash, coincidently enough, that moved over my body in the almost exact pattern, etc. as when I tried using the nic patches (same silver dollar-sized rash spot opposite left elbow, etc). At first I thought I would have to give up vaping, thinking the issue was the purified nic or levels of. But after giving it another go with VG and getting a completely different type of rash, I feel it may be a combination of both; a reaction to PG and a reaction to high nic levels that I don’t get with analogs @ a pack-a-day. I’ve also heard that some flavorings contain PG as well. I also get a sore throat with PG fairly often.

VG: There are other threads that touch base on the digestive problem, so I know I’m not alone. And although I’m only ‘breathing’ in the vapor, I’m fairly certain the vapor comes into contact with the stomach, so hence the connection with glycerin as a laxative/suppository. I found the vape of VG a pretty enjoyable experience and a lot of vapor, however I seem to get heartburn from it. I also noticed that some brands of VG seem to have more ‘funky’ flavors in them, such as a soapy overtone (not surprising since glycerin is used in many soaps!)

My journey so far looks something like this: Green Smoke, Bull Smoke, Smoke Tip, v2, South Beach Smoke, American e-Liquid Store (VG), Vermont Vapor (VG), Juicy Vapor (VG), Virgin Vapor (VG), Red Oak (VG), ECBlend (VG), v4L (VG), Wicked Vapor (VG).

I’m currently using an eGo-c Twist 1000mah w/Kanger T2’s (2.4 ohm). I have on order: Vision T3’s, Kanger bottom coils, and Royal Smoker’s CE2 Giantomizers.

I realize that I need to isolate each brand and test it thoroughly in order to find out which might be causing what. However, I’ve been trying them all, as a sort of ‘taste test’, thinking I need to find flavors I like in order to conduct serious test runs. I also understand that mixing e-cigs with analogs also can add to my nic intake *sighs* So, at this point, I’m a bit confused, but am forging ahead with a VG/PG mixture and see where that leads me. I am absolutely determined to find the holy grail, or whatever! … just something that I can use in any amount without worry!

I’ve got on order a sampler of Crystal E-liquid (75-PG/25-VG mix). I’m probably going to order a sampler from Halo, as through all the tons of reading I’ve done in the last five months, I’ve read some really, really good things about the quality of their juice. I understand that all of their juices are a PG/VG mix, being top-heavy on the PG. Also, they claim to achieve throat hit at any level of nic.

It seems Throat Hit Plus is no longer available? …and the jury still seems to be out on: Flash Throat Hit Enhancer, PGA, capcaicin, etc.

Of course any and all suggestions, opinions, feedback etc. are welcome.

Thanks!
    Last edited by JuiceHound; 09-09-2012 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Forgot to add Virgin Vapor to my list of juices.
    Confusednoobie likes this.

ECF Guru* ECF Veteran Vapoor eyes er's Avatar

Hi JuiceHound, welcome to ECF. So sorry about your issues but gotta admire your tenacity. Vapers that have had allergenic reactions to juice highly recommend Virgin Vapor | Electronic Cigarette Organic e-Liquid | Electronic Cigarettes as they use 100% organic ingredients. Realize with VG there are synthetic and organic products.
    Here is the ECF Virgin Vapor thread. Annette at Virgin Vapor is very accommodating and will customize juices for those with issues. After 5 posts wait 1 hour for the ECF servers to reset and you can post elsewhere here. Realize VV has a large following of those with allergic issues in regards to juice:
    Virgin Vapor
    Here's another forum you may find interesting:
    Health, Safety and E-Smoking
    The Very Best of Luck to You and please keep us updated as your problem is quite common.
    Last edited by Vapoor eyes er; 09-09-2012 at 09:33 PM.

I also get a sore throat with PG fairly often.
    Kind of a silly question but are you hydrating as vaping is extremely dehydration- add to that more than 4 cups java or caffeine based drink and major problems. I drink at least 1 1/2 liters water per day.

Hi Vapoor eyes, thank you for welcoming me to the forum and the suggestions! I actually forgot to add that I had already ordered VV's: 3-Pack Absolute and regular samples (edited original post to include that). I'm not quite sure what difference, if any, that the alcohol makes? I kind of past over those as the tastes, I found, were okay. While I love blueberry, chocolate, and vanilla vapes, I am also a vapor who requires good, staple tobacco flavors, which unfortunately VV doesn't seem to carry? I’m going to load up my clearomizers with the VV again and give it a few days and see how that goes.

I will read up on those two threads you mentioned, when I have time. There’s a lot of information in there! As far as the hydration goes, yeah I’m guilty of drinking a lot of coffee and a lot of iced tea, but not a whole lot of just plain water, so I’ll have to work on that. I realize PG can pull moisture.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the info and I’ll update the this thread as my journey goes. …I wonder if a fair number of threads become documented accounts of vapers’ journeys?

Dear Juicehound, I feel for you. I,ve been vapeing over a year now and love it. I also mix mine at a 50 50 ratio PG/VG. ur rite, the straight VG gives way to a little heartburn for me also. I have not had a single analog since November of 2011. I feel tons better than i used to. I hope u can resolve this issue soon. Sorry i cant help u. GOOD LUCK! AND STAY HEALTHY.

Hi Vapoor eyes, thank you for welcoming me to the forum and the suggestions! I actually forgot to add that I had already ordered VV's: 3-Pack Absolute and regular samples (edited original post to include that).
    Cool.
    I'm not quite sure what difference, if any, that the alcohol makes?
    Some heavy VG juices and flavors have to be thinned so rather than using PG they choose alcohol. Distilled water can also be used but alcohol is better. It also enhances TH and lung hit...PG enhances TH and lung hit so they're trying to replicate the best vaping experience possible without PG.
    I am also a vapor who requires good, staple tobacco flavors, which unfortunately VV doesn't seem to carry?
    I LOVE my tobaccos also. Like I said Annette will customize flavors...besides it being a business I really believe they do their utmost to please/ help customers out. VERY highly regarded vendor with a HUGE and loyal following...check the link below
    Virgin Vapor Custom Flavor | Virgin Vapor | Electronic Cigarette Organic e-Liquid | Electronic Cigarettes
    There’s a lot of information in there! As far as the hydration goes, yeah I’m guilty of drinking a lot of coffee and a lot of iced tea, but not a whole lot of just plain water, so I’ll have to work on that. I realize PG can pull moisture.
    VG is hydroscopic just like PG.
    Long story short...when I first began vaping I knew all about dehydration but wanted to "test" the theory..10+ cups java per day + Coca Cola and 1 glass water per day- within a few days all sorts of issues and after 1 week I had enough and starting hydrating- within 2 days all was normal. Had a convert that did the same and doubted the "dehydration" theory. I looked at his fingernails and pointed out the vertical lines/ rails and told him it was from dehydration...he began hydrating and within 2-3 weeks the "rails" were gone. Besides the noticeable effects dehydration is very stressful on some organs.
    Thanks again, I really appreciate the info and I’ll update the this thread as my journey goes. …I wonder if a fair number of threads become documented accounts of vapers’ journeys?
    Yes and it's an excellent idea because others with the same issues will find the answer here and can also offer ideas and more importantly encouragement. Sometimes vapers will come here with issues and never return with their resolution and basically the thread becomes a dead end....and believe me there is almost always a remedy.
    If I find anything else I will post here.
    Wishing You the Best.
    Last edited by Vapoor eyes er; 09-09-2012 at 10:27 PM.

bassmike12, thank you so much for sharing your experience and the encouragement, it means a lot to me! Every person's story I hear about where they are off-the-ground and up-and-running with software and hardware that works for them, it drives me to not give up. Again, thank you and wishing you the best!

VG is much softer on my throat but doesnt carry flavor as well. I noticed a high PG content makes my throat sore

Quote Originally Posted by Vapoor eyes er View Post
    Some heavy VG juices and flavors have to be thinned so rather than using PG they choose alcohol. Distilled water can also be used but alcohol is better. It also enhances TH and lung hit...PG enhances TH and lung hit so they're trying to replicate the best vaping experience possible without PG.
    Ahh, I see… that makes sense. As an aside, I just tried the VV Organic Chocolate Cake and do notice a bit of the alcohol bite and feel in my system. It may be that I end up preferring the non-alcohol ones from her.

I appreciate the tip that VV makes custom flavors and works with the customer. As many of us know I’m sure, that those kinds of things go a long way in customer loyalty for many.

That’s some very useful information on the hydration tests that you’ve conducted. That will save me tons of grief, trial and error, and curiosity about that aspect. So, its copious amounts of water for this vaper moving forward

Quote Originally Posted by Vapoor eyes er View Post
    Yes and it's an excellent idea because others with the same issues will find the answer here and can also offer ideas and more importantly encouragement. Sometimes vapers will come here with issues and never return with their resolution and basically the thread becomes a dead end....and believe me there is almost always a remedy.
    If I find anything else I will post here.
    Wishing You the Best.
    I agree that the encouragement is very important as well as the updates to each ‘story’ or topic. I’ll be sure to post back any updates I have as things progress.

Thank you so much again, for the welcome, the information, and the encouragement. Wishing You the Best!

PG gives me a head ache and a sore throat. I usually order juice with 70% VG and double the flavor and it works great in my phiniac tank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast