coughing up blood - Page 14
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: coughing up blood

Default Bump

Bump

Hey guys, started vaping 2 days ago. I bought an RN4081 and a variety of flavoured liquids <caramel (24), vanilla (16), banana(18)>. Yesterday morning I woke up with a sore throat and this morning I woke up with a sore throat and a lot of phlegm, yellow, then black and then there was one with blood.

I've been smoking for 2 years and never have I woken up in the morning to cough up blood or that black stuff (???) only since I started vaping has that happened, only happens in the morning.

I did drink plenty of water (4 liters) during the day as I am vaping a pg based liquid, so I'm not sure why I have the sore throat.

The coughing up yellow, black and then red phlegm made me seriously worry and I'm thinking of going back to smoking cigarettes (plz don't rip on me for saying that)

Oh and I don't cough during the day, just when I wake up with phlegm.

I just wanna know if anyone else has had this problem particularly when quitting analogs cold turkey and started vaping full time like I did, I should obviously go to my doctor but I'm sure he would tell me to quit vaping or go back to cigarettes.

Thanks in advance

Senior Member ECF Veteran

Gosh, that must be so scary If it were just phlegm, I would say it's just your lungs being able to clear themselves from the nastiness of the cigarettes... but since there's blood you should definetly go get checked out I would say...could just be that you can't use the PG liquids.. and should just use VG as some people do have reactions to it... hopefully it's just that your throat is irritated from the PG..I'm kind of new to this, so stay tuned...you will get more advice from people who are much more experienced than me.. the people here are great...just wanted to let you know that I read your post, (I see it's your first one) and I'll be thinking about you! Please keep us updated!

Quote Originally Posted by TheUltimateG View Post
    schadoe,

your not alone in this. I have been searching the forums for almost 2 weeks for this exact discussion as i seem to be suffering a similar issue. Mine does not sound as bad as you described though.

Every morning I wake up and can taste blood. On a few occasions i have coughed some up, or at least what would appear to be blood, just ever so slightly spotted mixed in with my phlegm. I have been vaping for over 2 months and it seemed to have started when i got in a new shipment of VG based liquid or the batch of PG RY4 I added a dash of caramel flavor to. I think it may be the caramel flavoring because it has lessend since i discontinued using the caramel mix, but i am not completely sure now after reading this post and hearing the results from your doctor. I have now come to the conclusion I am suffering a drying effect and I don't keep my throat lubricated enough, actually I don't drink extra liquids at all. I have also noticed an increased amount of phlegm in the back of my throat during this period and am now inclined to attribute this to a natural defense my body is creating to try and keep my throat moisturized.

Thanks to your post I now have a few options to help me narrow this down and since i don't currently have health coverage or a primary physician i will be trying to avoid spending a fortune going to see one at this time by tring some home remedies to alleviate the issue. I do not believe i am harming my lungs with vaping as i am able to breathe better but you could imagine my concern when this issue started.

Just an FYI to all whom read this and a little off topic. I did have a major scare when this issue first started where i suddenly tasted blood and spit out mouthfuls. Upon going to the bathroom i realized after looking into the mirror that my gums were bleeding. After a bit of research i found that quitting cigarettes can cause blood to start to flow better to the gum line and that anyone that has even minor onset of gum disease (as is my case) will experience bleeding gums.
    I went back and read through the whole thread and I thought this post above made earlier might help you out a little also...and if dr says nothing is wrong with your lungs, you might use a humidifier in your house, saline rinses (you can get a neti pot at Wal Mart or CVS) throat lozenges, or hard candy to keep saliva flowing and keep throat moisturized... Hope everything goes good for you!

Super Member ECF Veteran 757girl's Avatar

O NO. I just wanted to say....I hope all works out for you and please keep us updated.

Hey thanks for your reply Vlynn.

It could be the caramel flavouring, it's my only 24mg mix so I use it a lot.

Also just wanna say I don't think its a lung problem or anything because I'm not coughing during the day or at night.

It could be from dry sinuses dripping into my throat while I sleep caused by the pg, then in the morning I cough it up.

I do vape like a chimney and sometimes exhale through my nose, that could be it as well.

Just wondering though how do you guys solve your sore dry throat issues? I read a lot of you guys have been drinking lots of water and that it helps to keep the dry throat away, it didn't work for me

Do any of you know some tricks to get that sore throat away? Like oh I dunno, gargling with vasceline? lol

Thanks in advance

yw for the reply! I've gotten such good advice on here, it's nice to maybe help someone else out for once lol....I've been lucky so far.. and haven't had any dry throat issues BUT I used to get strep throat twice a year when I was little.. if you've never had it... let me tell you..the sore throat is agonizing! I would gargle with a cup of very warm water with about a tsp of salt dissolved in it...oh..every hour or two... and it helped so much...maybe try that and see if it goes away..

lol gargling with vaseline yeck....
    Last edited by Vlynn; 02-21-2010 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Cuz I can't spell lol

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Tam, When I started vaping I used only PG Liquid and I had no issues but then I threw in VG into the mix and about two carts after my throat felt dry and sore? So I discontinued use and drank lots of water and It went away the next day. I understand that some people have same reaction with PG.

I basically stick with HALO and Liquid Express Liquids which are PG...

I hope you find your vape sweet spot...

Ultra Member ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

You can reduce the nic content and this should help relieve the sore throat. When I first started vaping I would get a sore irritated throat but this eventually quit. I also have nose bleeds quite often which I know is related to ecigs. I can see coughing some blood from the sinus area but not from the lungs. Coughing up blood is very serious and you should seek medical attention immediately.

Wait don't go to the Dr its nothing. you have nothing to worry about. its just your body saying you dieing. Just a part of life. Look at it like this you won't have to pay taxes by next year.