Formaldehyde in e-vapor
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Formaldehyde in e-vapor

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Default Formaldehyde in e-vapor

Does anyone know what is the influence of temperature in the break down of PG into formaldehyde?

Apparently there is also a process for VG to turn into formaldehyde, but it may be different. (oxidation or hydrolysis of glycerin?).

The questions arise from the recent studies that detected formaldehyde in e-cigs but with big variations between e-cig brands.

It would be important to determine the important factors in the generation of formaldehyde so better design choices could be made.

Formaldehyde is definitely something that should be avoided as much as possible.

Senior Member Verified Member

I would very much like to see what people can add &/or clarify on this topic as well...I will be following this thread.

Ultra Member Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

the temps needed to cause this are unobtainable with vaping gear. as long as the wick is wet you are keeping vg/pg at or under boiling point. there may be trace amounts of things like this in nic due to how nic is extracted. you would probably stop vaping if you knew the chemicals used to extract nic if you are this concerned about what the fda is "claiming" they found in nic juice, which as far as im concerned is fear mongering and nothing but, or a sign of china quality control......which these tests where conducted on chinese liquids not u.s. liquids
    Last edited by ninfreak; 03-14-2013 at 12:45 AM.

standard provari with zap, zenesis standard, zenesis bam

Ultra Member ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ninfreak View Post
    the temps needed to cause this are unobtainable with vaping gear. as long as the wick is wet you are keeping vg/pg at or under boiling point. there may be trace amounts of things like this in nic due to how nic is extracted. you would probably stop vaping if you knew the chemicals used to extract nic if you are this concerned about what the fda is "claiming" they found in nic juice, which as far as im concerned is fear mongering and nothing but, or a sign of china quality control......which these tests where conducted on chinese liquids not u.s. liquids
    No, not because of any FDA claim.
    Recent vapor studies have found formaldehyde on e-cig vapor. See the previous post for an example.
    The amounts found vary a lot between different e-cig models/brands, and can get to relatively high values (about half of what is found in cigarette smoke, on some models).
    Those differences have got to have some cause in different characteristics of the e-cig models and/or liquids tested, be it coil temperatures, different PG/VG ratios, different e-cig materials, possible contaminations, etc.
    It is in everyone's best interest to find the causes of formaldehyde generation causes in e-cigs and minimize them.

ECF Veteran

I am curious about this as well. After reading that article this morning, I would really like to know more about what causes this.

I too am interested in finding out more on this topic. I agree with pmos69 that it's in everyones best interest to know more on this subject. The studies I've read always seem to suspect glycerin (PG/VG) as a possible hazard. Don't get me wrong, as a former 35 year smoker, I in no way believe that vaping can do anywhere near the harm to our body that cigarettes do. I just sometimes wonder if there is an alternative to glycerin. Maybe a plant extract, or natural oil that has simular atributes (vaporization/evaporation) to glycerin.

ECF Veteran

No info on this from any bright minds in the forum?
    I tried some searches but until now only found generic references to the fact that heating PG to high temperatures produces formaldehyde without concrete info about the temperatures.

ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by YKruss View Post
    Some additional materials from that study:

Interesting to notice the difference between stated and real levels of nicotine.

SUPPLEMENTARY MATERIALS MATERIALS AND METHODS

Supplementary Table 1 - Detection and quantitation limits

Ultra Member ECF Veteran MorpheusPA's Avatar

The only hint I can find is that methane burns to formaldehyde (interim) at 250 C. Which doesn't help when talking about propylene glycol...

I'd be interested in more information as well. Anything I can do to limit formaldehyde exposure would be a Good Thing.

My organic lawn care and gardening blog: http://thegreengreengrassofhome.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast