If you have tinnitus (ringing in your ears)... Propylene Glycol is ototoxic.
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: If you have tinnitus (ringing in your ears)... Propylene Glycol is ototoxic.

Default If you have tinnitus (ringing in your ears)... Propylene Glycol is ototoxic.

I have tinnitus from taking antibiotics years ago. It died down considerably after a few months, almost disappearing. It still acts up when I take aspirin or listen to loud music for too long. I just want to say, in my experience, I had a huge, almost immediate return of the ringing when I vaped 50/50 and 70/30 juices. In case anyone is wondering if their symptoms are due to vaping, I came to the conclusion that it can't be the nicotine. When I smoked, and when I drink coffee (still do), I never got symptoms. I researched the other ingredients and found a site with a study done on the ototoxicity of propylene glycol: Ototoxicity of propylene glycol in experime... [Am J Otolaryngol. 1980] - PubMed - NCBI

Since I switched to 100% vg juice, the problem has gone away drastically within just three days. I am sitting in a quiet room and can hardly hear the ringing anymore; it is very faint. I will continue to use vg-only juice and if it goes away completely (as it usually does, for me) it's a success story. Just wanted to offer my advice to anyone who is having this issue.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

My husband has tinnitus, and vapes occasionally. We both use high PG juice. Since I have started vaping, his tinnitus has diminished. Could be another factor, but it would go along with what you are saying.
    Ripshod likes this.

Become a Member of
    CASAA

11-22-12

PV Master Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Very interesting. I have had tinnitus for decades. When I first started vaping I used the typical 70/30 PG/VG juices but it irritated my throat a bit so I moved more and more to VG. I'm now at about 80% to 90% VG. I've not noticed any change in the tinnitus from when I was still smoking to now, but something is obviously changing for you . It will be interesting to see if other people share your experience.

ECF Veteran

Thanks for the info but I've had no ringing since I started over 2 months ago......

PV Master Team ECF (folding@home)
    Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Anthony View Post
    Thanks for the info but I've had no ringing since I started over 2 months ago......
    Are you using PG?

Pride Male Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member
    Blog Entries

From the link. Bold is my emphasis added.

Abstract
    The ototoxicity of antibiotics given either systemically or topically has been recently recognized. However, the ototoxicity of topically applied alcohols and other solvents used as vehicles for drugs has not been well recognized. One of the most common solvents, propylene glycol, was chosen for this study, and this agent in various concentrations was instilled into the middle ear of guinea pigs and chinchillas for various periods of time. Its effect on the function of the cochlea was studied as well as the histopathologic changes in the temporal bones. Deterioration of the cochlear microphonics and the endocochlear direct current potential was found. A 10 per cent solution applied for six days caused a reduction in the cochlear microphonics. Fifty per cent or stronger solution always caused a reduction in the cochlear microphonics. The deterioration in the cochlear microphonics persisted one month. Dose related changes in the endocochlear potential were noted. Morphologic changes were severe and included granulation tissue in the middle ear and destruction and ossification of the auditory bulla and bony cochlea. Propylene glycol should not be used in the ear that has a perforation of the tympanic membrane.
    How was it "applied" relative to the exposures that would be typical with vaping a 30% solution of PG? This appears to indicate that it was placed directly on the coclea in the study. I cannot access the full study to review the methodology further. This would indicate that without a burst ear drum, the risk is negligible.

There could be something to PG causing allergy/irritation to your condition. This is an apples to oranges comparison...

I am not sure that this study is very strong supporting evidence to what you are saying is the case.
    Last edited by EddardinWinter; 12-02-2013 at 12:41 PM.
    Uma, AttyPops, Rickajho and 4 others like this.

There are no men like me. There’s only me.
    ---Jaime Lannister

Mine is mild-moderate all day with an occasional loud Buzz. Love to be rid of it. Had an hour this past Summer sitting outside where it went away- Sooooo peaceful!!!!

When sitting here at the PC (ringing away), I use this Noise Generator-
    HTML5 Noise Generator | PlayNoise.com
    Ah well....tout casse, tout lasse, tout passe...everything breaks, everything gets tiresome, everything passes...

Moved On
    Blog Entries

Overall, based on experience, I think VG is a safer option than PG, but I don't know the full research. I recommend Velvet Cloud Vapors because they use only organic ingredients for every single little thing, and also throw some distilled water in the mix to make the %100VG taste and wick better, and it certainly seems to perform pretty well. They also have great prices ($5 off initial purchase with the newsletter, additional coupons, and free bottles with each purchase) and their customer service is utterly amazing, they sent me some really great freebies just for reporting an issue with one of the juices. Some of their juices are still out on the jury concerning taste, but so far, I'm getting good notes from their Candy Bar flavor, and many love the Night Shift.

Smell great too.

ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

my case is mild. I use 50/50 with no noticeable changes
    1. drink more water and get backups for your backups!
    2. careful! vaping may turn you into a shopaholic and hoarder!

Super Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by GoodNews! View Post
    Overall, based on experience, I think VG is a safer option than PG, but I don't know the full research. I recommend Velvet Cloud Vapors because they use only organic ingredients for every single little thing, and also throw some distilled water in the mix to make the %100VG taste and wick better, and it certainly seems to perform pretty well. They also have great prices ($5 off initial purchase with the newsletter, additional coupons, and free bottles with each purchase) and their customer service is utterly amazing, they sent me some really great freebies just for reporting an issue with one of the juices. Some of their juices are still out on the jury concerning taste, but so far, I'm getting good notes from their Candy Bar flavor, and many love the Night Shift.

Smell great too.

"Safer?" How so?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast