Vaping and Throat Cancer? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Vaping and Throat Cancer?

Full Member Verified Member Bergster's Avatar

Thank you all for the kind words, best wishes, and prayers. It has been uplifting to hear your personal experiences and friends/family success stories. I do plan to continue vaping but at 0mg nicotine, and only casually. I will need that placebo to calm my nerves throughout my treatment process.

Because I caught it so early, I do not need surgery or chemotherapy. Radiation Therapy is my current treatment plan, 5 days a week for 6 weeks. I be able to continue to work and go about my daily routines. Doc's are saying I have a 97% chance of success. I like those odds.

The first couple of days my mind was draped in a black curtain of doom and gloom. But now I'm feeling very positive and ready to kick ..., get past this and grow old. Just a bump in the road. As of now, I'm just anxiously waiting for my radiology referral to be processed and approved from insurance to get my initial appointment to go over everything and then get started.

I'll keep you guys updated through my healing process.
    Last edited by Bergster; 12-05-2013 at 02:29 AM.
    jamie, Katmar, StormFinch and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Erncig View Post
    Sorry to hear your news, I wish you the best of luck.

I just wanted to say, you certainly have scared me. I still smoke and vape but havent smoked for 3 days) being only 3 years younger than you, I never knew getting cancer from smoking at this age was possible.

Could you tell us how you found out you had throat cancer? How much you smoked per day? and What made you get checked out?

Good luck mate.......very happy for you that they caught it early
    I smoked a total of 13 years, I was always a pretty casual smoker. Then when I got to college 6 years ago it increased to about half a pack a day. As I said, I quit 100% 9 months ago and I haven't smoked a cigg since Feb 3rd. I was utterly shocked with this diagnosis.

It all started with a hoarse voice back in mid-September. I had it for 4 weeks and just ignored it, assuming it was due to allergies because ragweed gets really bad at the start of Fall. Then at week 6 (beginning of Oct) it wasn't getting any better so I made an appointment with family doctor and he couldn't find anything through a general checkup and chest xrays. So he referred me to an ENT doctor.

I had to wait 5 more weeks just to get into the ENT office (end of November). At that visit, he ran a scope up through my nose, down into my throat and found a large abnormal growth on my right vocal chord. Three days later I was in surgery (day after Thanksgiving) and the following Monday, 12/2, I got the call saying it was Stage 1 Laryngeal Cancer.

I didn't think I could get throat cancer at age 31 either. Even though you're young, you are not invincible.

My advice to you Ern: quit smoking now!! It's very difficult to do, and could be one of the hardest challenges you may face in life, but vaping should be your only method of nicotine use.
    Last edited by Bergster; 12-05-2013 at 03:44 AM.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

My prayers are with you. My younger brother was diagnosed with stage 4 throat cancer 3 years ago this month, he was 40 years old and will be 43 Friday, Dec. 6th. He did test positive for HPV as someone ask earlier. My brother also had Hodgkins at age 20 and had 8 weeks of radiation and several doctors were concerned that due to the amount of radiation he had already encountered that his body would not react. He had tumors on his tonsil, the base of his tongue and in the soft palette. We were all devastated as he had fought this disease already once in his life and his chances were not so good. As a matter of fact, we live in NC and there are some top facilities here that all gave different percentages of survival and treatment plans. Joe, my brother, chose Duke Hospital and with 8 weeks of heavy, the heaviest radiation and 6 weeks of chemo and neck surgery to remove all the lymph nodes, he is in remission and doing great!! He even traveled to Houston Texas to a leading cancer treatment facility and they concurred with Duke that chemo and radiation was the plan. Now get this, during his 3rd week of chemo, he had a heartache and the oncologists stated that the treatments must keep going, the strong chemo took a toll on his heart, this is all at 40 years old with a daughter 5 years old and an infant son less than a year old! I will say that the radiation was tough on him after the 3rd week and he could not eat regular foods but drank Ensures as best he could, his throat was "burnt". He did not smoke but did do smokeless tobacco and drank alcohol..not extensively but social drinker...started with a sore throat feeling and could see a small lump at the back of his tongue.

The reason for this long story has a great ending, joe is in remission and doing great!! He is expecting his third child in 3 months which the doctors said he could not do, glad its him and not me!! I was with him during alot of his treatments and he is my hero!!
    He is also a Dukie fan for life!!
    I am so glad that you caught this early and that you are healthy and have not had cancer before...Stay strong and stay positive!! You wil be a hero too!!
    Last edited by Zbeast08; 12-05-2013 at 03:04 AM.

Zbeast, thank you for that amazing and inspirational story! Your brother is a true fighter and i'm so happy to hear he is in remission!

I've been told that by week 3 of radiation it's going to get pretty painful and I will have no desire to eat. The skin on my neck is also going to turn a leathery red and start peeling. Luckily, this is happening during the winter so I'll just wear a scarf!
    Zbeast08 likes this.

Ultra Member Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

It sounds like you somewhat know what to expect and I'd you need anyone to talk to, please let me know....my brother loves to talk!!

This is the last thing we want or expect from someone trying to reduce tobacco harm. Our clubs thoughts and prayers are with you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk
    Feignix likes this.

Hey man ... I was shocked reading this. I am just 28 and I did 14+ years of smoking. You are lucky that you found it early. Hope all the best and good luck for your treatment. I wish that I could do something. Be strong and fight for your life. I know you will. 97% means 100%. Nothing to worry. Just dont try to dig your past looking for answers. Plan your future instead. Good Luck. Hope you will stay strong.
    firechick and Fergie like this.

It has come to my attention that I haven't provided a progress report along my road to recovery. Sorry! Seems the EDIT button has disappeared so I can't post my progress on the front page.

I have been going to radiation treatments M-F since Dec 12th. Tomorrow is the halfway point (14 of 28) and next Monday my doc is running a laryngeal scope to see how the tumor is responding. Luckily I'm having minimal side effects so far after 13 treatments and have been able to maintain my normal diet, minus all my favorite spicy foods. Skin on my neck is starting to turn slightly pink and irritated and I'm sure in another week it will be bright red and itchy.

Also, my voice hoarseness got worse at first because the radiation inflamed the tumor, but now the inflammation is receding and the hoarseness is improving everyday.

The worst part so far has been my quality of sleep. Sleeping has become a real pain in the ...! At night I wake up every 1-2 hours with an itchy/dry throat and have to get up to drink water and take liquid Tylenol to sooth my throat. So far I have avoided medications like the plague. I would rather suffer some at night than become dependent on opiate cocktails for the next several weeks.

Physically and emotionally I am doing really well and staying very positive. Haven't missed much work time and it's healthy to stick to a routine and stay focused.
    After Doc scopes me next Monday, I will have a better update
    Last edited by Bergster; 01-03-2014 at 01:14 AM.

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Blog Entries

That;s GREAT NEWS, Bergster! You sound like you are in good hands, for sure.

Thanks for providing the upate! You are so brave.

And also a good reminder for those here, that ANY former smoker, who experiences "odd" symptoms whether still smoking or vaping, needs to be accessed pronto by trained medical staff. Thank goodness you went that route.

Prayers and thoughts of healing always on their way to you, my fellow Arkansan. I'm sure everyone will be delighted to hear about your progress.

TC's given: ~9/27/12~ ~ 11/17/2012~~04/01/2013/TC rec'd: 03/09/2013

PV Master Verified Member
    ECF Veteran
    Supporting Member

I'm so glad you are doing well.

it seems like these days when we get sick people are always asking what we did to cause it. sigh. you know, maybe it is the antibiotics in our meats and dairy. or the poisons in our fruits and veggies. or the processed foods. or the pollution. stress, etc, etc

praying your recovery continues at a rapid rate!
    1. drink more water and get backups for your backups!
    2. careful! vaping may turn you into a shopaholic and hoarder!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast